1 Year – 151.4 Pounds Lost – Photos

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

1 Year – 151.4 Pounds Lost – Photos

Postby Letha. » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:15 am

It’s my one year anniversary on McDougall & I’ve lost 151.4 pounds. I’ve not posted photos of myself here before but I decided to be brave and just do it.

Letha at 525 pounds.

Letha at 371.2 pounds.

I’ll just write a few paragraphs about my experience this past year.

I’ve met the most amazing, friendly, supportive people on this discussion forum. I don’t think I can put into words how helpful to me interacting with everyone here has been. I especially want to thank LauraA for starting the monthly MWL threads. The weekly weigh-in posts are the focus of my week.

I’ve followed the MWL plan this past year with just a few exceptions. On Thanksgiving and Christmas I followed the regular plan, and in April and May I was eating a lot of McDougall soup cups that had some non-MWL ingredients like pasta, tofu, & raisins. I have not cheated once in the entire year.

I tried a couple of times to start exercising but it hasn’t taken yet. I started the year with a serious knee injury which has now healed. In the spring and early summer I developed peripheral neuropathy which caused me a lot of grief but fortunately it’s improved in recent weeks. I hope that in the future I’ll be exercising a lot more.

I started a recipe blog to keep myself busy and focused on healthy eating. I’ve had a lot of fun with it and I’ve gotten lots of positive feedback from people who like the photos I took. I’m not much of a photographer but I think my amateur photos make folks feel like they actually could make the food I’m making.

I’m committed to the McDougall plan for life. I hope that when I reach my goal weight of 150 lbs I’ll be able to incorporate some foods from the regular plan like pasta, bread, nuts, dried fruit, tofu & avocados. I guess my body will let me know how much of that I can do when I get down there.

I’ll post another photo update on my next anniversary in Sept. 2010. Thanks again to everyone who has supported me here.
Letha
Last edited by Letha. on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Letha.

Postby toadfood » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:52 am

Wow Letha, you are brave and beautiful. You look ready to take a walk in that second picture, with your cane and Birkenstocks!

Your dedication to your health and to supporting other people continues to inspire me every day. Thank you so much for being here.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby bethannerickson » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:02 am

Wow Letha! You are so beautiful. It's a pleasure to watch your progress.

Your support of others on the board and honesty about the process has been such an inspiration to me in my own journey back to health.

I'm looking forward to this next year, I know it'll be a fabulous journey!

Best always,

Beth from Minnesota
bethannerickson

re 1 year

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:15 am

Congratulations, Letha. You are truly an inspiration for everyone here.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Mommylut » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 am

Well, Letha, I was in need of a good cry, and you just did it. How beautiful you look. Having watched your growth (or shrinkage) over the past year, I have come to marvel at your persistence and optimisim. It is so exciting to share this with you.

All the best and keep it up.
Mommylut

Postby Becky » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 am

Letha, I am so proud of you! :-)

Your perseverance is amazing, and such an inspiration. Thank you for posting the pictures, it is truly wonderful to actually "see" the great progress you have made.

I'm already looking forward to next year's pictures!
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby LauraA » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:57 am

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LETHA!! I too was in need of a good cry. Thank you for thanking me - oh my gosh, I think that I've only stuck with this whole plan many times because of you! I had a little idea for the MWL group, but you really got it going! I'm so excited now about the new virtual walking. I too plan to be McDougalling for life. You look wonderful - I'm so glad that you took a full length "before" picture. How tall are you? I'm 5'6" with a goal of 150. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Letha. » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:41 am

LauraA wrote: How tall are you?
LauraA

I'm 5'11".
----------------------------------

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support and encouragement.
Letha
Letha.

Postby Talyae » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:52 am

Go Letha! What an amazing first set of before and after photos. I know for myself, sometimes it's hard to see the progress since you are in the centre of it but these pictures show what's going on in a very tangible way!

Go turtle inspired Letha power! Here's to another year of success and all the steps that go along with the journey. You truly are an inspiration. :)
Talyae

Postby sksamboots » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:38 am

Letha,

So Nice to see you. Thanks for sharing your journey :-D
sksamboots

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:41 am

My very first thought upon seeing these photos was that you have so much beauty and a look of youth about you. My second was to marvel at the changes you've made over the past year. My final thought was that there was just no way you're still up at 371! Then I read further down into other people's posts and was glad to see that you have the fortune of being rather tall. I say this because my height of 6' 3" or so and my large build have been my only saving graces when I was in the 500s. Were I a shorter guy or someone with a much smaller frame I believe I'd have been completely bed ridden a year ago.

Thank you for posting these photos of yourself. I really like seeing the face attached to the people who have grown dear to me in these forums. Here's to another excellent year for you, Letha!! :D
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Eppy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am

WONDERFUL!!!! What a difference Letha!!!! You are doing so well. Happy one year anniversary and I look forward to watching your progress this next year. You are an inspiration to me!!!!
Eppy

Way to go!

Postby txveggie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 am

What a difference a year can make. :D I am always amazed at your positive attitude and kind words for others even when you are in pain. You are a lovely person inside and out.
txveggie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am

wow! you bring tears to my eyes, wummun! what an awesome inspiration you are to everyone on these boards...

beautiful, beautiful lady (((HUG)))

blessings, HeidiW
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Finally! a beautiful face to place with my inspiration!

Postby MTeehan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:27 am

I've posted this before but I'd like to say it again: When I started my latest MWL program I started reading the challenge board. I can honestly say that Letha's posts, MORE THAN ONCE, gave me the motivation to go on when I was tempted to quit. Seeing her unbelievable recipes showed me just how MWL is SUPPOSED to be. GREAT food, no counting calories, and no portion control. Watching her weekly determination and progress showed me it COULD be done! Many things went into my FINALLY reaching my goal and having Letha to set the example was as important as any. Letha, you are an Angel on this board and NOW that is confirmed by those beautiful pictures. Much Aloha to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See how Dr. McDougall's Plan saved my life and gave me an optimistic outlook on my future here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4V2Zo3xEIw

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2Qs2zt/]
MTeehan

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories