60 Days Vegan

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

60 Days Vegan

Postby Jack B » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Wow...I never thought I'd be posting about being a vegan, let alone actually enjoying it. A little history...most of my younger years I worked in restaurants...mostly fast food. As a manager, and eventually supervisor, I was able to eat almost any time, and as often as I wished. And eat I did!

After leaving the fast food business I enrolled in college and completed my degree...all the while still eating pretty much anything that was slower than me! The weight continued to rise...eventually hitting 303 pounds (and I'm only 5'6").

A summer of testing and newly diagnosed heart issues led me to researching (and praying) for the possibility of reversing my heart disease...which in turn led me to Dr's Esselstyn and McDougall!

So, here is a run down on my first sixty days...

1. No chest pains since day 3 or 4
2. Sleeping through the night consistently for the first time in a dozen years
3. Down about 28 pounds
4. Little to no ear wax (sorry...it really is true)
5. Just went to Kohls to buy some new dress cloths for work...pants used to be size 48-50...now 44
6. Tri's down just over 1000, chol about cut in half
7. No night sweats since day 3
8. Learning to cook all over again...and loving it!

Many thanks to all of you on these boards for constant positive motivation. I hope to help others along my journey...I have lived the life of a "fat jolly guy" most of my life, and now realize the horrible damage I have done to myself. Yet I have hope...such dramatic changes in just sixty days?? And no surgery!!! Thank you Dr. McDougall!!
If I'd have known I would live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!-Dad
Jack B

Congrats. Jack

Postby SactoBob » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:03 pm

We need more and more FORMER heart patients.
SactoBob

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:04 pm

just curious...is a bypass for heart and a bypass for legs plus an aneurism mean heart disease? It's been 15 years now and i have no symptoms....never had a heart attack, just blockages......
ncyg46

Postby toadfood » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:36 am

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading about your future successes. You're doing great!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby Letha.. » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:46 am

Welcome Jack,
I love to read about people getting good results on the McDougall program. Thanks for sharing. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Congratulations!

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 am

Congratulations on your road back to health! You're doing a great job! Thanks for sharing your story with us.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

so great

Postby Riva » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:31 am

Jack - thanks for writing. YOur story is great and I know you will add to that already beautiful list of improvements as time goes on.

I was thinking the other day of one of my improvements that seems subtle
but perhaps is significant. For years I used to wake up with swollen hands and a kind of numb Left arm. Docs tested...nothing wrong. Ever since about 2 months into McDougalling all that is gone. So SOMETHING bad was happening that is NOT happening.

Cheering you on!
Riva
Riva

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Wow Jack, you are one smart man to take matters into your own hand and do some research. If only others would do the same. I know you have to feel better with those kinds of improvements.

Keep up the good work, and can't wait to hear more.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Birdy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:32 am

I agree with SactoBob, "We need more and more FORMER heart patients." I'm so happy for your rapidly improving health. Cheering you on!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Birdy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:34 am

I agree with SactoBob, "We need more and more FORMER heart patients." I'm so happy for your rapidly improving health. Cheering you on!

Riva, I've also had the same numbness in my left arm, so your experience promises another benefit of McDougalling!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Nettie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Faith is right - you are one smart man, and a very brave one at that. To give up fatty foods and embark on this journey can be very fear-inducing to some people. Keep up the good work. You won't believe yourself in a year!

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Bravo! And welcome. Stick around, the folks around here astound and inspire me every day.
nomikins

Welcome to the club.....

Postby f1jim » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:42 am

Several of us here on the forum were in the heart disease business. It's a terrible business model. You get more procedures, you spend more for those procedures and the medicines they lead to, and you get progressively worse till you are finally wheeled around in a chair with the oxygen bottle beside you, then you get the privileged of being bedridden, then you die an ugly, early death. I am so proud to be out of that business and into one with much better prospects. Glad to have you as another example of getting your life back. It only gets better.
Thanks for posting.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 am

ncyg46 wrote:just curious...is a bypass for heart and a bypass for legs plus an aneurism mean heart disease? It's been 15 years now and i have no symptoms....never had a heart attack, just blockages......

Sounds like systemic vascular disease (cardiovascular + peripheral vascular). Dr. Esselstyn has shown reversal of this with those who adhere to his diet (basically the same as McDougall, as you probably know).

My understanding of aneurisms from two friends who had them in the brain is that they can be (or who knows, maybe always are?) related to genetic weakness in the vascular wall from genetic disposition or physical trauma, as opposed to blockages which are usually related to cholesterol deposition/inflammation.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Congratulation, Jack

Postby Pat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:03 am

Fantastic job. So happy you had the courage to take responsibility for your own health and join us. You are experiencing the rewards, which as mentioned, they will continue to increase.

Pat
Pat

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories