NancyG before and during...not there yet!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

NancyG before and during...not there yet!

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 pm

I posted these photos in my journal but it was suggested to post here. I don't feel that I am there yet...and still have a few slip ups but for the most part I am at 132 more or less, down from 184 in the 80's and 90's. I have also followed Ornish, then McDougall, then nothing...and tried again in 2007 with another program and decided after a few comments from that board that McDougall was the one for me. I change between the regular program and some MWL recipes along with Esselstyn's recommendations. I know what I am supposed to do, but sometimes the potlucks and samples of things get me!

In the last year though I have learned to say "No thank you" in a nice way!

This first photo was taken in 1989 before my bypass in 95 and who knows how much bigger I actually was. I didn't use the scale much in those days because I didn't want to know how big I was.

this other photo was taken last week while in Florida....yes I still wear long tshirts since I am self conscious of the hernia I have due to my leg bypass and aortic aneurysm in 98. The hernia was never fixed so I never tuck in shirts. Guess I flunk any fashion test!

I still have a ways to go on this but I am making progress....

I have been lurking in the processed food thread this past week and have been learning a lot. I also ordered Jeff's Fast Food DVD since those are the type of recipes I need along with the Quick and Easy book for the type of cooking I do. Since I don't like to do two separate meals three times a day, I feel I need the easy peasy ones and now try to keep things simple! We just got a new upright freezer yesterday to replace our chest freezer and that will make things much easier for me to find stuff that is already made. We BOTH have our own shelves now! :D
ncyg46

Re: NancyG before and during...not there yet!

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Nancy, you would never flunk a fashion test! You look great!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Vegankit » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Amazing change - good for you, you look much younger and healthier now. I didn't know you had heart bypass surgery. I hope you never find yourself in that position again.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Laura..

I am wearing my "I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay" t-shirt!!!!
Thanks but I never look like a fashion statement! lol! I was looking at my wardrobe the other day and I own very few shirts that don't have some dumb saying on them!!!! Actually you should see the back of the shirt my friend Pat was wearing...she must be about 78 now and there was no back...just tied at the waist! Before our friend Dot died from cancer we were the three renegades in the park! I lived in a 55+ park and everytime I went to the clubhouse I got questioned about my address and whether I belonged there or not....glad I got rid of the place! I originally bought the place so I could leave on the weekends and go camping..by myself. That's where I met Ed, on a rv rally in Silver Springs, FL...with a yahoo rver's group!

Vegankit...

yes I had one 15 years ago and then leg bypass and aortic aneurism done in 98. I dabbled in eating healthier but really tried harder after my husband died in 99. I never want to be in that position again, not fun. And most of my relatives have had the same bypasses and then stents, then the stents blocked up and they are still eating the same and wondering why it keeps happening. I lost my health insurance about 6 years ago so I have to keep myself healthy! Thanks! :D
ncyg46

Postby nomikins » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:14 am

You look great, Nancy!
nomikins

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:30 am

nomikins wrote:You look great, Nancy!

thanks nomikins! I still have a way to go. When I say that I have reduced my medication, but with the CAD and the bypasses, I am still on a low dose of lovastatin and only one blood pressure pill..lisinipril... instead of two...and a much lower dose. I wish I could get off of them totally but that may not happen. Where we live I usually don't have a problem but when we go up to high elevations it goes crazy....and when I was in Florida this past month it was also crazy although I know it what what I was eating there..... :D
ncyg46

Postby Julia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Nancy,

I think you look amazing and your face is glowing with health. Well done!!

I am not overweight, but after I had my first child I looked like a tub for a long time and now I have just had my second child (I am now 41 - just made it) and am already within 2 kilos of my goal weight and my daughter is only 4 months old. This is only because of eating the way Dr Mcdougall recommends. I am so happy that I found this info. I hated being a tub and it took forever to lose the weight.

This is definitely the way to go!
Julia
Julia

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:58 am

Julia..
yes it is the way to go! I feel so much better now. I wish I could get my daughter to at least listen because my grandson is now a year old and she hasn't lost much of her weight yet. I see what they are eating....mostly take out and restaurant food and she doesn't cook at all!

I bought her the book Baby Love for making her own babyfood, and she also has Jeff's label reading video and my first copy of Esselstyns book but hasn't even read it yet. This week she is going to the doctor because her hand, arm and up to her neck hurts her and is getting headaches...and is scared enough to go. I hope it helps.

The other day I got to the point and told her that she needs to do it since it would be nice if both of them were alive for his wedding! :eek:
ncyg46

Postby Beagle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:01 am

You look absolutely fantastic, and nothing like the person in the first foto at all. I would never have guessed that it was you from the fotos of you this year. Fantastic :thumbsup:
Beagle

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 am

thanks Beagle!
right now I am just trying to eat the right foods and not worry about weight. Trying to get my numbers better also. In 2007 my cholesterol was 132 when I went to Florida for my daughter's wedding and it has been creeping up. I did go to a different lab last October and I don't really believe that it was up like it was (201). I get blood work done this month again and I guess it isn't good to go to Florida in Sept and get it done so soon! :D
I just checked when I went to the 3 day Celebrity Chef weekend in Santa Rosa in 2008 it tested at 163. I hope it is back down now....although I didn't do that great at my daughters house this year.
I don't worry about the weight since I am only 7 lbs heavier than in high school!
Actually the only main difference I can see is that I wasn't eating as much starches back in 2007 on the program I was doing then so I am trying to really up my veggies and having "some" grains and potatoes.
ncyg46

Postby Nettie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 am

Nancy, you look beautiful! Congratulations on your progress.

Even if you feel you have more to lose, enjoy - no, revel in - how good you look right now! :nod:

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

Nettie wrote:Nancy, you look beautiful! Congratulations on your progress.

Even if you feel you have more to lose, enjoy - no, revel in - how good you look right now! :nod:

Nettie

thanks Nettie! You are an inspiration! lol, I am still a work in progess!

i went to a potluck last night, brought Mary's potato salad and my own black bean burger to grill but I tasted some of the other food that I thought was safe. NOT! And I have no idea what got me. Guess I just shouldn't go anymore.... :eek:
ncyg46

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 am

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 am

lol! Kirk I thought I was handling myself okay...brought over my own homemade black bean burger and just took fruit and veggie salads but I guess some of them had oil in them. I did pass the broccoli salad to Ed since I bit in and tasted it but it had to be in other things also. This was a party weekend so it was a bit hard! :D
ncyg46

Postby Starchyme » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 am

Nancy, thanks for the photo . You look mah-ve-lous! What a great job you've done in improving your health and fitness. But, best of all, you've truly improved your health and, hopefully, will never suffer those incidences ever again. Happy McDougalling! Waiting for your star McDougaller article....
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories