Results of my Kidney Stone labs

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Results of my Kidney Stone labs

Postby Jubilee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I had some labwork done last June right after my kidney stone surgery to try to determine why I'm forming gigantic stones, and if it's possible to stop them. The doc wanted to put me on a hbp med, which I refused.

At that time, I had 7 levels that were abnormally high (calcium, oxalate, sodium, etc.) and one that was too low.

I started McDougalling after Christmas. Also, I am watching my sodium though not even buying low sodium products since I can't really afford them. I limited, but did not eliminate, a few higher oxalate foods like spinach. In addition to McDougalling, I did add a couple of supplements to my diet that are supposed to help prevent stones.* Other than that, I made no other changes.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a follow-up appt. where they did a scan to look for new stone, and found none. Keep in mind this is after I had a 5 CM stone that was growing very rapidly. Also they re-ran the lab tests to check my levels.

And the results---
drum roll please......

6 out of 7 that were too high are now smack in the normal range!!! And the 7th one, sodium, is actually now too low but hey, low sodium is good right?! So, thanks be to God for this diet and Dr. McDougall and for those incredible results. I'm more than thrilled. What I went through last year is something I'd like never to experience again, and with results like these, that is a very reasonable expectation, wouldn't you say? :-)

Oddly, 5 of the levels that were normal last year are now too low. My daughter who is an ARNP, looked at my numbers and said not to worry about any of them. I'm sure she's right. Once my GP told me my cholesterol was too low, too. And thanks to Dr. McDougall's books, I know it's actually wonderful.

So, at this time last year, things looked very grim healthwise. Today, it's all reversed and only getting better and better!!!

If I wasn't 51 years old and obese, I'd do cartwheels. :-) Maybe next year when I'm 52 and at a healthy BMI, I *will* do those cartwheels!! :-) :-)

Thank you again, Dr. McDougall. You're one of my heroes.

Blessings,
Jubilee
Jubilee

Re: Results of my Kidney Stone labs

Postby pinkrose » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Fantastic, Jubilee!

This week a student brought us an article about eating a low salt, low protein/meat diet to help prevent formation of the stones. I am glad you found the right guidance here too!

Maybe you will be cartwheeling next year!!! :-D
pinkrose

Postby RAS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:27 am

Yea! Jubilee. I am so happy for you. RAS
RAS

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 am

FABULOUS!! :) Congrats to you! :mrgreen:
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ParsleyPatch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 am

Very impressive, indeed! Lucky are those of us who know about and take McDougalling seriously and woe to those who don't know or don't care. Congratulations! :-D
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Postby Emily » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Jubilee, that is wonderful news! How exciting!

If you don't mind my asking, what is your cholesterol that your GP said was "too low?"
Emily

Postby soliver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:24 pm

That is AWESOME news to read. What did the doc say about your levels?
soliver

Postby Jubilee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks everyone, for the encouragement! I'm thrilled, and it's nice to have someone rejoice with me, who knows how I did it, and doesn't look askance at my methods! I honestly feel like I beat the system or something- to get my levels all back to normal without their drugs, and after the doc specifically said that diet wouldn't work!

Emily, I can't remember exactly what the level was that was too low, but when I'm McDougalling, it runs around 113-115, so it's in that ballpark. And when they said it was too low, his nurse started laughing and didn't say anymore about it, going on to the next subject. No suggestion of changes or meds. He was reading from a lab report that had flagged it. So, obviously he wasn't concerned. Hopefully, it'll be the same with these lab results.

Soliver, I haven't actually seen the doc yet. My next appt is in 3 months and I'll be sure to ask him about the results (mainly for my own pride :-)
The hosp. has online patient files now, and you can access your test results that way, which is how I know what they are. It's actually more helpful than having someone in an appt say, "well, your levels look pretty good." I can look at the exact values for each one, and compare to the exact values from last year. I assume if something were bad, they'd give me a call, but for good news, I guess not.

Thanks again everyone. I'm forging ahead with this approach and counting it a blessing!

Jubilee
Jubilee

Postby blondie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Yes, I always like to see my levels. The doctor says "your bloodwork looks good except..." and I always ask for a personal copy to put in my file at home.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Starchyme » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 am

Congrats to you, Jubilee. Such wonderful news.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Garden » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:24 am

Congrats! It is so wonderful to see proof of how nutrition is working in our bodies, and to have others see it! :?

Garden
Garden

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories