OILS

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

OILS

Postby chuie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 pm

I know Dr. McDougall stresses NO OILs...however on his list of "right foods" or under "packaged foods" he does have a tortilla chip listed...Guiltless Baked unsalted Tortilla chips BUT i bought some today and looked at the ingrediants and they do have oil in them...? They only have 2 grms of fat per serving...?
Thought we shouldn't consumer anything w/ oils at all?
A little confused, pleaese help.
Thanks. :)
chuie

Re: OILS

Postby TominTN » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:10 am

If I remember correctly, those used to be oil-free, when Dr. McDougall added them to the list. Then, a year or two ago, the manufacturer reformulated them and added some oil. I wouldn't use them.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby chuie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 am

Do you know of any on the market that has no oils...?
How often does he update the website...www.rightfoods.com?

chuie

Postby TominTN » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 pm

I don't see Guiltless Gourmet baked chips on www.rightfoods.com. I do see them listed at http://www.drmcdougall.com/pack_chips.html.

The GG baked chips were the only oil-free ones on the market that I'm aware of. Lots of people were disappointed when the oil-free ones stopped being available. I'm surprised they're still listed here on Dr. McDougall's site.

Here are some posts from a year or two ago talking about the change:

viewtopic.php?p=175724#p175724

viewtopic.php?p=176353#p176353
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby Katydid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:36 am

The simplest thing to do is to buy no oil added tortillas and make your own chips. I like the Ezekiel brand. I use a pair of kitchen shears to cut the tortillas into either wedges or strips and dehydrate them overnight (no worry about burning). But you can bake them in the oven at 350 too. Just make sure to use a non-stick cookie sheet or a lining of parchment paper.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby chuie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks guys...I tried making my own and they turned out pretty good. I bought some whole foods brand corn tortillas (no oils)...and baked them and tried toasting them too, both turned out pretty good. :)
chuie

Postby Julia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:32 pm

You are lucky. I live in Germany and it is impossible to buy tortillas without oil, so I have to make my own. They are good, but not like industrial made ones. Turning them into chips doesn't quite work. It is also a lot of hard work.

Julia
Julia

Postby chuie » Sun May 01, 2011 11:14 pm

How do you do them in the microwave to get them crispy? How long do you cook them for in the microwave?
chuie

Postby veggielou » Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 am

I do 2 or 3 whole corn tortillas in micro at a time. High 1 min. turn over 30 sec check to see how crisp. 30 sec intervils until crisp. They burn quite easy so watch closely. Every package seems to be different so no exact time. Then I just break apart.
veggielou

Postby chuie » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Do you stack them on top of each other, or place them seperate?
Also, do you put them on a plate or paper towel?

Thanks! :)
chuie

Postby bzmo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Here is the secret to good homemade tortilla chips. Before baking them at 350 degrees, mist them with a little plain water, sprinkle them with Lawrys seasoned salt or the herbs or spices of your choice, the bake the first batch, watching them like a hawk so that you can figure out exactly how long it takes to bake them to golden. I like mine pretty salty, and the advantage of the commercial seasoned salt is that you can see how thoroughly coated they are. The water makes it stick. Alternatively, I paint whole tortillas with a wash of Egg Replacer, then sprinkle them with ground flax seed. Sesame,
fennel seed, garlic granules, poppy seed, and kosher salt may be used as you like. Then I cut them in strips and bake them off in the same way. The seeds and salt stick, and they are great with all kinds of dips.
bzmo

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed May 18, 2011 5:48 pm

chuie wrote:How do you do them in the microwave to get them crispy? How long do you cook them for in the microwave?

Chuie: You can buy a microwave potato chip maker for about $5. online, just google it. I use mine from time to time. I haven't made them for a while, but it does in the directions how long to cook them. You need to get them really thin sliced, so use a mandolin or something like that.

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby vman » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 am

I make them all the time in the microwave. Much quicker, and works better than oven baking. The yellow corn tortillas from whole foods work best. I keep them frozen and just break them into wedges by hand. Lay them flat on a large glass plate so they're not overlapping, and wave for about 3 to 4 minutes. No need for paper towel. Just watch them and stop it when they just start to brown. They cool to a nice crisp chip. Works like a charm.

I find it's better to start with a frozen tortilla as they tend to curl otherwise. Taste great either way.

The chip maker things you can buy off the net just let you make more chips at once, but it took too long to load them in the slots, so I prefer my method now and can't even find my chip maker.
vman

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories