Coronary Artery Disease: chol. drop from 187 to 125 in 7 wks

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Coronary Artery Disease: chol. drop from 187 to 125 in 7 wks

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 am

I am very pleased to be able to report an initial success on drop in cholesterol and weight loss.
First I’d like to thank everyone on this website who gave me direction, feedback, support, and recipes. It is important to note that that includes the success stories of others. I have written the Reader’s Digest version first, and then more details follow for those interested.

Summary
I had chest pains while running at the end of April this year, had a cardiac catheterization done and discovered I had coronary artery disease (CAD) with 50%, 40%, and 70% blockages. The doctor prescribed statins which I didn’t like and stopped taking within a week. My cholesterol has been averaging 174 to 187 the past 5 years with the last being 187. After 7 weeks of the McDougall diet and the last 4 weeks with no oils my cholesterol dropped to 125 exceeding my hopes. That is a 33% drop from my previous level with NO statins!! I also have lost 15 lbs.

I do not have the HDL, LDL, or triglyceride levels yet, I get those in 2 weeks when I have a full blood workup. Several doctors have said that the blood donation overall cholesterol screening is accurate.

Family History
All 4 grandparents lived into their 90’s
Father: died at age 76 of kidney cancer, had a triple by-pass when he was 65.
Paternal Uncle: died at age 56 of heart attack. Heavy smoker, drinker, and eater.
Mother alive at 82, active, both hips replaced, stent in one coronary artery 2 years ago.
Brother 2 years older: 95% blockage in widow-maker artery (descending?), had a stent, on statins and (gasp!) niacin.

Personal History
I am a 57 yr. old male living in Florida. I currently weight 198. I always thought I ate healthy. I cut back on red meats and ate more fish, lessened candy intake, and cut back on drinking. I had done every diet there was and have lost over 2,000 lbs. in the past I also thought my healthy lifestyle of running (ran 3 marathons, still ran 6 miles on weekends, do yoga 1-2x week) was protection against heart disease. And my cholesterol level has always been under 200 for the most part. But apparently that is enough for my system to block my arteries significantly. I was rather put off by the fact that my brother who had a stent at the same age as I am now weighs 250 lbs and doesn’t exercise. I guess the exercise kept me from getting a stent, but still, a wakeup call that exercise alone will not prevent heart disease.

Thankfully, it was my running that alerted me to the condition my coronary arteries were in. I had had intermittent chest pains while running the past 3 years. The last diagnosis was an interaction of allergies (to mold, cat, and a tree of some sort), acid reflux, and asthma (cold or exercise induced) which caused this. Likely it was the beginning warning signs. I had had 2 nuclear stress tests passed with flying colors, one of the highest VO2max they had seen. 2 years after my last test and about 2 months ago, my chest pains returned and my running slowed significantly. I thought it was because I had gained 20 lbs (again) but these pains kept recurring. I was running 200 yards, walking till pain resided, running again, etc. I decided it was time to see a cardiologist. The physician assistant saw me and suggested another stress test. Then called back a couple hours later and told me the Dr. wanted to do a cardiac catheterization the next day due to family history and textbook angina. My last son’s graduation from college was the following day so we agreed that 7 days later was okay provided I didn’t exercise, took statins and aspirin, and would come in if I had chest pains. Thinking I was invincible I figured moving furniture for new rugs would be okay. Luckily, it was.

My cardiac catheterization was done on 5/3/11 and revealed a 50% and 40% blockage in main arteries and 70% blockage in a supporting one which was apparently enough to trigger angina when running. I had been doing my own stress tests apparently! He prescribed continued statins. At this point I had started reading about alternatives, but the day after my appointment with my cardiologist (5/18/11) propelled me into action. I went running my usual 3 miles (the shorter run) and felt like I was running through molasses. The next day my legs felt like I had just run a marathon, it really hurt to just walk and stairs were agony. This was apparently a reaction to the muscle unfriendly statins. A friend who had had a 100% blockage and stent was a McDougaller and I started immediately and dropped the statins. Thanks to the support of multiple people who helped me get going and in the right direction (NO OILS!!!!!) I was able to stick to the diet and learned along the way about what to eat (What, soy milk has fat?!, What, no nuts or avocados?!,) and how to cook (You can sauté with water?!).

Weight loss on this diet was a bonus as my initial goal was to lower my cholesterol immediately. I have never lost weight easier without feeling hungry and eating so well. I continued drinking coffee and alcohol. Since it has no oil I started drinking my homebrew again. The last batch of Oktoberfest had aged nicely! I did not drink every night, and usually only one or two drinks when I did.

I was determined to prove my cardiologist, wife (nurse), and our friends wrong (many nurses), that you can reduce cholesterol significantly with diet. She had quoted my cardiologist as saying you could eat cardboard and not lower your cholesterol. My cardiologist also told me that the research indicated you could only reduce cholesterol 10% with diet. As you know, there is so much incorrect thinking out there...”you need more protein”, “your brain needs oil”. I cannot wait to discuss this with him.

My hope was a cholesterol level of 150, but 125 is amazing. I really stuck to the diet with few diversions except;
1. Restaurants. I ate a veggie burrito with avocado. I’m sure the flour tortilla had fat and we know the avocado does. I also eat dry wheat toast which likely has oil. And I have had restaurant hummus 2 times which of course is usually made with olive oil. Lastly was a black bean burger grilled on the grill which I should have sent back since I said no oil. “But it was only grilled, not fried” said the waiter.
2. Pizza crusts and garlic knots with the outside removed (I tried, I really did) dipped in pizza sauce one night which I’m sure all had oil in them.

I am feeling healthier, see ancillary health issues below. I am back to running well again. I ran 5 miles on Saturday at a good pace with no pains.

I am going to continue this until my more extensive blood work in 2 weeks. And then I will decide what I am going to do after that. I will definitely stay McDougall (Vegan). But restaurants are a big hassle. We go out regularly with friends to breakfast and occasionally dinner. Vegan no-oil is a real pain. A little oil would open up more veggies and soups. And (not vegan) a little egg would open up waffles and pancakes, perhaps 2 times a month. But I would monitor the effects of these and my cholesterol level is more important than the hassles if it comes to that.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting tips and suggestions, recipes, direction, and support! I wish you all continued health and success.
Brad

Ancillary Health Issues
1. I have a sleep study diagnosed sleep apnea for which I use a CPAP machine I had to take everywhere. I no longer use the machine and have stopped snoring. I had one episode a week ago after doing yard work and being congested. (Well, one other time, when I had had 4 beers...I’m sooooo ashamed…well, not really.)
2. My blood sugar blood level has been 200 and I suspect it has plummeted as well, we’ll see.
3. Asthma (not sure I really had it, but gone)
4. Sinus/allergies. Free and clear except the yard day as mentioned. I really do feel an improvement in my nasal breathing!
5. Degenerative Spinal Arthritis. Unfortunately, the damage was done. I am feeling better, but not sure if that is just wishful thinking.
6. I have arthritis in my hands. It is better and I am no longer taking Chondroitin/glucosamine.
7. I am no longer waking up sore and stiff and feel 15 to 20 years younger. Still want my coffee though and it doesn’t appear to affect cholesterol levels too much 
8. Toenail fungus. Seriously? Had it on one toe for many years. I tried tea tree oil, chlorine, and Vick’s vaporub (a new homeopathic remedy) with no success. It is almost gone!! I only mention this because I remember a guy in a health food store telling me 5 years ago that it was my diet causing this!!!
Last edited by Brad on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Re: Coronary Artery Disease: chol. drop from 187 to 125 in 7

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:35 am

excellent Reader Digest version of your progress. Funny but your beginning cholesterol normally has all the doctor's happy. I bet yours is really happy now. I can't wait to see the complete run down.

I am so glad you are feeling better and have seen so many improvements.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:44 am

Congrats! :) Can't wait to see the more complete blood test results!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:58 am

Faith in DC wrote:excellent Reader Digest version of your progress. Funny but your beginning cholesterol normally has all the doctor's happy. I bet yours is really happy now. I can't wait to see the complete run down.

I am so glad you are feeling better and have seen so many improvements.

Thanks Faith! Yes, I have learned that cholesterol level is not the whole story. I know LDL being high was a factor in my artery blockage, but the amount of blockage for a total level of 187 seemed above average. I suspect genetics has something to do with levels and the resultant amount of blockage. I have older friends with levels in the 300's who don't excercise and don't have that level of blockage. Oh well, it is under control now. Nothing like success to spur you on.
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Postby Ricardo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Brad,
Congratulations !!!

I am so happy for you and for all of us that want to improve our health !

Thank you for sharing with us your victory !
I will read again and again your post and I will need to get more details of how and what your are doing. I wish you can also help me to improve what I am doing. Life is so good when we, family and friends are in good health !!!

Ricardo
PS some details of your post will also help me to encourage my family members to fix some of the problems you mentiones as solved with the program.
Ricardo

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 am

Hi Ricardo, yes, this site has been a phenomenal support. And thanks for your congradulations. It has been a bit of a struggle, but not as bad as other diets I've been on. I'm not convinced that friends and family will join in. I remember vegan friends trying to convince me and there was no way I was giving up my steaks, omelets, and grilled salmon.

This drop in cholestrol was done through:
1. No animal or animal products. 100% adherence
2. No oil including no avocado, nuts (the last 4 weeks) 98% adherence.
3. Excercise. Running and yoga, 3x week

Barriers included:
1. Learning to cook without oil
2. Having to prepare almost every meal
3. Restaurants

Room for improvement:
1. Amount of processed food. I have been eating pretzles as a snack.
2. Amount of sugar. I had candy at movies and my oatmeal cookies have been made with brown sugar.
3. Amount of veggies needs to improve.

Best wishes,
Brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Postby Ricardo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Brad wrote:Barriers included:
1. Learning to cook without oil
2. Having to prepare almost every meal

Brad,
1) Were or in what book did you get the most inspiration and recipies to cook at home. How Dr. Mc Dougall influenced your cooking?

2) What part of D. Mc Dougall´s Program brought the most benefits in achieving lower cholesterol?

3) Why do you prefer to cook almost every meal, if you could make it easier by preparing bigger quantities of food and storing it in a freezer or refrigetator? Then heating in microwen?

Cheers,
Ricardo
Ricardo

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:17 am

Ricardo wrote:Brad,
1) Were or in what book did you get the most inspiration and recipies to cook at home. How Dr. Mc Dougall influenced your cooking?

Hi Ricardo, Although I bought several books includine McDougal's, Esseltyn (sp?), and Fuhrman's, I got most of my recipes from this site and from links suggested by others. Many of the recipies in his book are somewhere on this site. I created a file on my laptop and cook from that.

Ricardo wrote: 2) What part of D. Mc Dougall´s Program brought the most benefits in achieving lower cholesterol?

That is a good question and since I changed several things at the same time it is hard to know. But it is most likely the elimination of animal products and by-products and oil including avocado and nuts. If my cholesterol stays low for my next blood work in 2 weeks I will re-introduce avocado and nuts sparingly and see what happens, serving as my own research :) .

Ricardo wrote: 3) Why do you prefer to cook almost every meal, if you could make it easier by preparing bigger quantities of food and storing it in a freezer or refrigetator? Then heating in microwen?

Actually I do prepare my lunches and dinners in advance. And I understand your interpretation of my comment. Although I do have to prepare all my meals, I do prepare a lot in advance. I was intending to say that I cannot eat in the cafeteria or what my wife prepares so I am doing more cooking overall. The weekend and some evenings are spent preparing bulk quantities of soups, chilies, hummus, etc. which I then put in small containers. But I also do some cooking for dinner occasionally like steamed veggies, pasta primavera.

Ricardo wrote:Cheers,
Ricardo

And how about you? How is yours going? I imagine traveling is difficult.

Brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Postby carollynne » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 pm

HI Brad, I enjoyed reading your thread, and wish you a lot of success too. I wish my husband would join me in this WOE!! He is slowly watching me and is amazed by the whole WOE!!
It is the best think I ever encountered too. I gave up on any restaurant, my cooking if far better and cheaper...
Keep on the McDougall path and the rewards are great... health, joy of spirit, as you feel so much better and added stamina too.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 am

carollynne wrote:HI Brad, I enjoyed reading your thread, and wish you a lot of success too. I wish my husband would join me in this WOE!! He is slowly watching me and is amazed by the whole WOE!!
It is the best think I ever encountered too. I gave up on any restaurant, my cooking if far better and cheaper...
Keep on the McDougall path and the rewards are great... health, joy of spirit, as you feel so much better and added stamina too.

Thanks Caollynne, I was just telling a friend about the benefits beyond heart and weight. Although not my original intent, I did lose the 15 without trying but have reached a plateau. I've decided to go ahead and start the MWL and get it down a bit more. I see you are doing well and almost halfway to your goal. Nice.
brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Postby Ricardo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:32 am

Brad,
You said: “do not have the HDL, LDL, or triglyceride levels yet, I get those in 2 weeks when I have a full blood workup. Several doctors have said that the blood donation overall cholesterol screening is accurate.”

Please have in mind, when getting the new blood test numbers, that if you lowered your total cholesterol a lot, HDL (the good cholesterol) has go lower too. That is not bad and it is expected, according to my cardiologist. The important is to see if they keep proportional. I have to ask him the exact formula, but meanwhile, I got in the internet a formula that may be of help to you:
The ratio of HDL/LDL looks at the ratio of good cholesterol (HDL) to bad cholesterol (LDL). The ratio is determined by dividing the LDL cholesterol into the HDL cholesterol. For example, if a person has an HDL cholesterol of 50 mg/dL and an LDL cholesterol of 150 mg/dL, the HDL/LDL ratio would be 0.33. The goal is to keep the ratio above 0.3, with the ideal HDL/LDL ratio being above 0.4.

I got this formula at the site:
http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/cholester ... ratio.html
All the Best,
Ricardo
Ricardo

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 am

Ricardo wrote:The ratio is determined by dividing the LDL cholesterol into the HDL cholesterol. For example, if a person has an HDL cholesterol of 50 mg/dL and an LDL cholesterol of 150 mg/dL, the HDL/LDL ratio would be 0.33. The goal is to keep the ratio above 0.3, with the ideal HDL/LDL ratio being above 0.4.

I got this formula at the site:
http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/cholester ... ratio.html
All the Best,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo, I had planned to lookup what was considered a good ratio as soon as my results came back, but you have saved me some trouble. I had never done a HDL/LDL ratio but knew my LDL was way too high and my HDL was low. Thanks for the info, you have saved me some work!

Brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories