Down 26.5 pounds!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Down 26.5 pounds!

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Just hit the 3 month mark and I'm down 26.5 pounds. I weighed about this much in 2008. So 3 years weight gain gone in 3 months! Currently weigh 219 and should weigh somewhere between 130 - 160 according to the BMI stuff.

I do the regular McDougall program and have been losing about 2 pounds a week on average.

Decided to post and be positive because I've actually been feeling down lately. Seems like there is such a long way to go. Also the reason I started this is because I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I haven't seen my doc in 6 weeks. I see her again in mid August. I'm nervous but hopeful that the program will have made a big difference in the numbers that count. Cholesterol, A1C, triglycerides, etc... If not I'm sure she will be pushing meds like crazy.
EmmetFitzhume

Re: Down 26.5 pounds!

Postby Peacebloom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Excellent progress! :thumbsup:

Good luck with the blood work when it happens. I reckon you will see some improvement with all your changes! :nod:
Peacebloom

Postby Melinda » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Congratulations - you must be pleased with yourself - that is a big accomplishment! It will be interesting to see what your labwork says.:-D
Melinda

Postby jamietwo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 am

Congratulations! Just think, you've done all this on the regular program! You still have MWL as a backup plan (vs meds) if you need more help down the road. :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby goal140 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 am

Keep up the good work, and stick with the plan. All of this success on the regular plan, way to go!
goal140

With a significant weight loss your #'s should be much bette

Postby veggiecat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 am

Glucose meters are reasonable at Walmart. I would want to know right now about my BG!
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:16 am

Congrats! Hang in there--you've had a really great weight loss and it will continue if you stick to the plan. I'm sure your numbers will improve, but don't expect a HUGE change in August--it will probably take a few more pounds before the change is really big. Hopefully it will be enough to get your doc off your back.

You're doing GREAT!!! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: With a significant weight loss your #'s should be much b

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am

veggiecat wrote:Glucose meters are reasonable at Walmart. I would want to know right now about my BG!

I guess I should check but I'm kind of afraid to check. If the sugar wasn't good I don't know what I would change. I've been following the program as well as I can. A few small screwups - maybe had white pasta instead of whole wheat about 3-4 times in the last 3 months. White bread a couple times. Had about an ounce of walnuts 4-5 times.

Today I had a big bowl of Uncle Sam cereal with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (for the taste and hopefully glucose lowering effect). Sweetened with stevia and a banana.

Lunch was huge bowl of Mary McDougalls Quinoa Chowder from the newsletter. Two pieces of whole wheat bread.

Walked two miles after lunch.

Snack this afternoon is about a cup of blueberries that I picked at a local farm.

Dinner is brown rice topped with vegetables stir fried in a skillet with mostly water and a little soy (carrots, broccoli, pea pods, bok choy, and a very small amount of baked seasoned tofu - tofu lin or something like that).

If I checked my glucose and it wasn't great I have no clue what I would change.
EmmetFitzhume

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 am

EmmetFitzhume wrote:If I checked my glucose and it wasn't great I have no clue what I would change.

Less fruit, no stevia. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:57 am

ETeSelle wrote:
EmmetFitzhume wrote:If I checked my glucose and it wasn't great I have no clue what I would change.

Less fruit, no stevia. :)

Fair enough on the fruit in general I guess but stevia isn't supposed to affect blood sugar. I read somewhere Mcdougall actually had stevia available at one of the 10 day programs. I forgot where I read that though...
EmmetFitzhume

Postby blondie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Congrats Emmett! I use Stevia every morning in my tea and I thought I had read somewhere that Dr. M says it is ok. I began eating like this in Feb. with an A1C of 7.5. Three months later it was 6.0. The nurse practitioner wanted to know what I was doing differently, and when I told her, she told me I needed to be eating almost Atkins style with lots of lean protein and very low carbs. :lol: Now why would I want to do that when what I am doing is working so wonderfully? I can hardly wait until August to see what my new number is.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:27 am

blondie wrote:Congrats Emmett! I use Stevia every morning in my tea and I thought I had read somewhere that Dr. M says it is ok. I began eating like this in Feb. with an A1C of 7.5. Three months later it was 6.0. The nurse practitioner wanted to know what I was doing differently, and when I told her, she told me I needed to be eating almost Atkins style with lots of lean protein and very low carbs. :lol: Now why would I want to do that when what I am doing is working so wonderfully? I can hardly wait until August to see what my new number is.

Congratulations Blondie! I'm shocked that a medical professional could even think Atkins was a good idea. How does the average person have a chance when even the medical professionals we look to are misinformed??

I assume you are using no medications? My A1C was 8 when the doctor checked me ugh. I've been following the McDougall program for 3 months. I'm still refining the diet and getting things sorted out. I have an appointment in August. If things arn't radically better I'm assuming there is some metformin in my future.

I guess i need to bite the bullet and get a glucose monitor but I'm honestly terrified to see what is happening :(
EmmetFitzhume

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories