Blood sugar improvement & mom ordered The Starch Solution!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood sugar improvement & mom ordered The Starch Solution!

Postby Atheria » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm leery to post this as I don't want to jinx myself, but after strictly low fat McDougalling (again) for 9 days so far my trend toward diabetes has stopped. On Black Friday my fasting blood sugar was in the diabetic range and I'd eaten a lot of fat the day before. Since low carb/high fat vegan isn't sustainable and I end up feeling cruddy, and mixing carbs and fats makes my blood sugar go high...I returned to high carb/very low fat. My body responds to dietary changes quickly (for better or worse depending on what I dabble in) and within a day my numbers were already better. Yesterday my fasting number was 80something....PERFECT. Even 2 hours post high carb meals I am doing good (114 was one number). The only issue I'm having is digestive distress. For a little background, since birth (seriously) I have had digestion problems (and my dad is a Celiac with me not having official Celiac Disease but a bad gluten intolerance like my sister) and was on a mixture of mineral oil and Senokot as a kid because my chronic constipation was so awful. -- I needed inguinal hernia surgery in 9/2012 that my surgeon suspected came from decades of straining to go to the bathroom. I once didn't "go" for close to a week. -- Anyway, I am having gas and potty problems again, despite taking high doses of magnesium in the a.m. and p.m., which was REALLY helping for a few months but has stopped working as well.

My mom started off like me....sudden onset severe hypoglycemia that eventually became insulin dependent diabetes. I do NOT want to follow in her footsteps. The GREAT news is that I got her to actually watch Dr. McDougall's webinar on Thursday and she's ordered his book. Besides severe diabetes at almost 74 (her pre bedtime number was 390 recently), she's got stents from a heart attack or two, fibromyalgia, severe arthritis, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, has had a lot of organs removed, and is on 11 or so medications daily that cause awful side effects. And, she is overweight. The fact that I could actually FINALLY get her to watch one of Dr. McDougall's videos AND order The Starch Solution is HUGE. When she just heard that my fasting blood sugar has already come back down into the 80s a few minutes ago, even she was impressed. She commented that she hated the rice and beans she tried to eat yesterday, so I said, "Then eat what you LIKE that is on plan!" She doesn't quite understand what carbohydrates are....thinks that bread is carbs but rice and potatoes aren't. So, I explained that rice, potatoes, beans, veggies, and fruit are carbs, and I think she got it.

I am posting this for those with family members they struggle with, and also to say that you CAN be thin and still have blood sugar issues. In my case, at 91 lbs., I do no need to lose weight. I have a genetic predisposition toward diabetes (it's in my family tree a lot). So the simple thing of "lose weight and you'll be cured of type 2" doesn't work. People like me need to eat a very pristine vegan diet. I'm motivated enough to do it. I am determined to avoid insulin dependent diabetes and the complications that occur from it....and I'm winning!

Peace,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Re: Blood sugar improvement & mom ordered The Starch Solutio

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:55 am

Congratulations! I wish both you and your mother the best of luck. Well, if you stick with this plan, you can make your own luck. :)
PeripateticDanielle

Postby Atheria » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:09 am

My fasting number was down to 76 today! I don't want it to go lower now. Under 70 and I start feeling hypoglycemic. Mom is a difficult case...but even getting her to consider reading Dr. McDougall's book was a coup!

:-)
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby dlee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Wonderful results for you! Hope your mother continues to understand the process and start to enjoy good health as well. dlee
dlee

Postby Atheria » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Thank you.....and I agree!
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Quick Response

Postby Atheria » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:43 am

I can't get over how quickly my body reacts to fats/no fats. If I freak out and eat fatty vegan food, the next morning my fasting blood sugar is back up to pre-diabetic territory. Within one day of cutting fat again, it's back down...today to 75.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories