Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi everyone, Thanks so much for all the support I get from just reading your posts. I am doing better than I was 2 months ago when I first posted. I am 2 months totally animal free. Feel great. Still a bit of pain in my neck, but virtually no knee pain. Lost13 more pounds to make a total of 50 since I started my healthier eating in June 2016. I am happy where I am at, but won't miss a few more pounds. With the snow almost gone, I am going to start walking more. Have not had any blood work done yet, but will sometime soon.
I don't have a family doctor. I am eating well, I think. The book that has helped me a lot is "the Plant -Based Journey" by Lani Muelrath. I make a huge pot of vegetable soup every week and freeze it I keep potatoes, apples, oranges beans, peas, brown rice, hummus and whole wheat pita on hand. I just got an Instant pot yesterday so will try not to blow myself up. Ha Ha!! I eat Bob's Red Mill 7 grain cereal for breakfast with banana and a bit of walnuts and brown sugar. For lunch usually veggie soup with added brown rice. For supper I will have peas, corn, rice or potatoes and orange and apples for desert. I do not vary much and do not seem to be bored yet. What I love the most is no worry about calories or nutrients. I eat when I am hungry and watch my portions a bit so I don't get stuffed. I am so thankful for Dr. McDougall's books and web page. Mary's recipes inspire me even though I have not tried many of them yet. I did get her favourite seasoning from Costco. Organic no salt seasoning. It is quite good.
I don't try to convert anyone anymore. I don't eat out much. I try to keep focused on my goal and not how people treat me or try to lead me astray. I still get sad sometimes and wish I had at least one good friend who ate the way I do. It is nice to visit here and know that i am not alone. For that, I thank you all
americaninca46

Re: Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Postby Yomom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:19 pm

americaninca46, congrats on your success. Your plant strong habits and favorite foods sound a lot similar to mine. I too, find my visits to this Board give me much-needed support. I enjoyed reading your post.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi Kathy, Thank you. I hope to be able to cook more of the lovely food that i see in the McDougall's cookbooks. Being by myself does not inspire me. Especially when I am hungry. Ha Ha. What do you eat when you dine out? I have not tried eating out very much. I am in a small town in Northern Canada and other than fast food places, there isn't much to choose from. I really do not want to go off course, even accidentally. Thanks again for the encouragement. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Yomom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:24 pm

americaninca46 wrote:Hi Kathy, Thank you. I hope to be able to cook more of the lovely food that i see in the McDougall's cookbooks. Being by myself does not inspire me. Especially when I am hungry. Ha Ha. What do you eat when you dine out? I have not tried eating out very much. I am in a small town in Northern Canada and other than fast food places, there isn't much to choose from. I really do not want to go off course, even accidentally. Thanks again for the encouragement. Rebia

Rebia, I do not eat out much. It is not so much fun anymore, and I fret that it will stall any weight loss. I belong to the MWL group on this Board, and we all weigh every week on Friday, so that helps to keep me accountable. When I do eat out, I tend to order first a salad no dressing, no nuts, no cheese. I sit there and chew lettuce, basically. I usually also request that the chef make me a dish using potatoes or rice, along with available vegetables used in other dishes on the menu. No butter, no sauce, very very little oil. I pretend to have a very delicate stomach (ho ho).
Yomom

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Yomom, you made me laugh. Thanks. I have read lots of the excuses people have used. Guess I should practise a few myself. I feel so good that I hate having to pretend to be allergic or unwell just to have my diet catered to. I will work on my technique. I don't miss eating out as I had given up fast food places quite a while ago. There is one restaurant in town that makes a veggie wrap. It is so expensive, but worth it to be able to dine with a friend. I just don't understand why people don't at least try this way of eating. I never thought I was going to do it forever, but now as I become more educated, I see that I probably will. It is hard to totally re-educate oneself. So much of what I thought was true is so wrong. Thanks again. It is just so nice to talk to a like minded person. Grateful, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby France » Wed May 10, 2017 9:09 am

Americaninca46 & YoMom ~ Thank you SO much for sharing! I've been lurking around on this forum for ages and your posts have inspired me to finally type! My story is so similar to so many here... a junk food vegetarian for 10 years who considered dairy/cheese, pre packaged soy products and nut butters as food groups! I only reached my weight loss goals once in my adult life and could not maintain it on those terrible choices. On Jan 1st, 2017, I resolved to jump ALL IN on the McDougall plan 100%. Absolutely hands down, the best decision of my life. After just 4 months - minus 40lbs, feeling fantastic, healthy, happy and unobsessed with food.

Like you, I too prepare everything myself. For sure - it really does take some creativity in eating out and in social situations. Maybe you have some thoughts to share? My friends and family are getting used to me toting a small Roots cooler bag. I now suggest meeting (even business meetings) as a 'picinic' or meet up on a coffeeshop's patio where it's not too weird to pull out my tupperware lunch or fruit/snacks. In a group or at an event, thankfully people rarely notice. When they do, it's often just curiosity about something that looks different but delish. Sometimes I engage info about the plan - other times just smile and say I have food sensitivities. Although I want to shout to the world how amazing I feel and how the Starch Solution will change their lives, it's impossible to do without seeming preachy. I don't personally have any vegan friends to discuss and strategize with - so am quickly realizing how important the forum interaction is. Thanks again for motivating and inspiring me!! :D
France

Postby France » Wed May 10, 2017 9:23 am

Just a funny story... One if my few dinners out was - yikes at The Keg Steakhouse with the family for a big bday celebration. I was nervous about ordering - resolved that a simple salad without dressing would be my sole choice. Instead I quietly asked the server if she could make something a little special. No problem! So when a massive plain baked potato and huge variety side order of steamed veggies (no oil) arrived I was thrilled beyond words! A lil hot sauce (from bottle stashed in purse) and Perrier served in a wine glass. I felt satisfied and fulfilled. My supportive husband winked at me from across the table. His giant meat/appy/dessert/drinks bill alone came to $80 - mine was a total of $7.50. I'm healthy and a cheap date!! :-D
France

Postby Yomom » Wed May 10, 2017 1:14 pm

France, welcome to posting on the McDougall Board. Congratulations on your success with this way of eating. Over the years I have gotten a lot of support, both by reading almost everything by Dr McDougall, Jeff Novick and Doug Lisle, but also through posting and interacting on this Board. Before I moved to Colorado last year, I was fortunate to belong to the Toronto Starch Solution Group, organized eventually on Meetup for monthly potlucks & support.
Your steakhouse meal story is good. I do that too - eat around the carnivore menu, with surprising success.
I have been keeping a Journal on-and-off for years, as it sometimes helps me focus. I also weigh in weekly with the Maximum Weight Loss group on this Board, which keeps me more accountable!
Yomom

Postby France » Wed May 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks so much for the welcome Kathy! Congrats to you too - and for generously sharing and supporting! I envy those who have a spouse or significant other who joins them on the new vegan adventure. Your TO Meetup group was a fab idea! There is a vegan group in Victoria where I live, so worth checking into - thanks for that. Colorado is beautiful - so many great places to hike and mountain bike (I'm a big fan of both!) Hope you've found a few great new restaurants who will customize the menu for you.

It sounds like you also have done lots of reading research. I have absorbed EVERYTHING - every book - online blogs and vids - documentaries - from McDougalls, Campbell, Esselstyns (is Rip cute or what!), Lisle, to Chef AJ, HIgh Carb Hannah. Lani Muelrath's Plant Based Journey is fantastic! When anyone asks what I'm doing, I suggest watching Forks over Knives or Engine 2. I'm not sure what could be more inspiring to want to learn more!
France

Postby americaninca46 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 am

Hi France, You made my day. I love the Steak house story. I have only eaten out twice in the past year. Salad once and a veggie wrap
the other time. You have given me courage to try a supper restaurant. I feel that I have gotten 2 new friends today. I love Lani Muelrath"s book. I make soup every week. It saves me from hunger and keeps me on track. It really breaks my heart to see all of my friends so unhealthy. I have had a few interested in my diet. No one believes that what we have always been told is a lie. i.e. meat, dairy and butter. I try to encourage them to just eat more fruits and veggies, beans etc. Crowd out the bad and replace with the good. My doctor was encouraging yesterday when I told him how healthy I was and shared what I eat. His eyebrows went up when I said No animal products, but he smiled. I don't need him for much anymore. He will miss my money. I too am in Canada. I love Victoria. It is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing you here again. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby petmomful » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 pm

France, I loved your steakhouse story! So funny. My family took me out to eat for my birthday, and we went to a restaurant that had a couple of vegan choices, so I was very happy. They all pigged out on meat, which was a little disgusting to me. haha. They are now getting used to me bringing my own food to family parties. I usually bring a little electric pressure cooker that I have, with a rice and lentil dish in it. Sometimes others even try it and like it!! Loved your testimonial!
petmomful

Postby americaninca46 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 am

Hi Group, Just checking in. It has been almost 3 more months doing the WFPB making a total of 6 months totally animal free. I am down 57 lbs. and probably will stay there. 160 My weight is normal for my height. 5ft. 9 in. I need to walk more. I am just enjoying having no pain in my knees and neck from arthritis.
Having no problems with finding lots of good foods to eat. Still making 10 Ltr. pot of veggie soup each week. Then I add all kinds of things to it to make it more tasty. Spices and new veggies help a lot. Eating lots of baby potatoes. Fruit is plentiful here now. (Northern Saskatchewan) I am off all my meds except thyroid. No high blood pressure, no pain from arthritis. Also no muscle relaxers for muscle cramps. Feel quite liberated. I still get down some times wishing that I had a friend who ate this way, so we could chat. But in the long run it does not really matter as long as I am healthy. I do have 2 friends who are changing their meat consumption and eating more plants. I am here daily reading the great posts, so keep up the good work. thanks so much for the support, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Yomom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Congratulations, americaninca46. It is wonderful to read your update, about your progress and achievements.
Yomom

Postby petmomful » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Americaninca46, I know what you mean. I have no one that eats the way I do. My husband eats some of the food I prepare, but he is far from a vegan. I just know that I have to keep on eating this way, and I can get support and info online. I did something today which I am not sure was the right thing to do. I saw 2 women buying a GERD drug that I just got off of, at the grocery store, and I spoke up and told them how dangerous it was. I told them about Dr. McDougall and his website, and The Starch Solution. I told them, briefly, how I had gotten rid of my pain and Gerd and how I improved my life with diet. They listened intently and scribbled down the names. So I hope they look it all up and maybe get some help. I feel funny when I do that, like I am being preachy, and I rarely do it, but in this case they thanked me and seemed to really be happy with the info. Anyway, it is up to them now. I just feel bad that more people don't know about this WOE so they can at least be aware that there is an option for them besides lots of drugs.
Good luck to you and congrats!! You sound like you are doing very very well!
petmomful

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Petmomful, Thanks so much for your reply and support. I know so many people with digestive upsets. It is so hard to know how to talk to them. They really do not want to change the way that they eat. Just want to have a med take away the discomfort. one of my friends has heartburn so bad at night when she goes to bed. She does not believe it is the fried chicken that she eats before bedtime that's causing it. Now she has trouble swallowing due to the irritation in her esophagus.

I do not dwell on what I can't eat, just on the variety that I am able to eat without distress. I did pass on Dr. McDougall's name to a friend this evening. She says she will find it hard to give up meat.

It was brave of you to give that info to those ladies. I talk a lot to friends and strangers about my diet. So many are so sick from what they eat. I saw a couple of toddlers yesterday who were obese. Their parents shopping cart was full of processed junk food. I hope that people will just give more thought to what they are eating. I am learning a lot and trying to be more understanding. I also go through stages where I do not share with anyone my thoughts or diet.
Take care and chat again soon, Rebia
americaninca46

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories