Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Still going strong (plant that is) !!!

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi Rebia,

Thanks for updating us and congrats on your health and success. Keep it up. I look forward to a future update :)

Scott
Ltldogg

Postby americaninca46 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 am

Good morning, Just checking in. I am doing well. After 3 and a half years of following Dr. McDougall's plan, I am still healthy and at my ideal weight. It is still hard to see my friends and family getting sicker every day by their choice of food, but do not get too judgemental. During this time of isolation and sickness, I am glad to have such great support and knowledge from all of you. I still am fairly strict with my diet. I have let a few things creep in occasionally that are off plan, but am not perfect. I try to keep busy, but it is hard some days. It is nice to be able to go out only every 8 to 10 days for fresh veggies and fruit. I am quite stocked up with beans, rice and potatoes. Has anyone tried dehydrated veggies? I am thinking of trying some for Winter so I don't have to go out as often. I could us them in my soups. I have been snacking a bit on crackers and olives. sometimes I have dill pickles. I like dark chocolate once in a while. I do not feel guilty or find myself binging with these items. Next month I will be 74 and I can tell that I am aging but have no pain and my energy is good. It has been 9 years since I had breast cancer and have seen no signs of it returning. I followed Dr. McDougall's advice in treatment even though I did not know of him at the time. Every day is a blessing now.I have been more sedentary that usual, but try to do the stairs and walk outside with the dogs. I have been reading a lot of books and talking on the phone with family and friend more to help with the boredom. Lots of TV and internet. I hope you all are doing well and also your families. We have had an upsurge of covid cases in the last 2 weeks. Our numbers were very low, but have had a recent break out in a number of cities. We had over 300 new case in the last 2 weeks. I see more people wearing masks. We are having a hot spell, which is normal. Don't want to complain as Fall is right around the corner. Hope you all are having a good Summer. Keep healthy and stay safe. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Klosee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:11 pm

I so enjoyed reading your updates. It is so nice seeing you so consistent and the improvements in your health. I think we all want to live as long and as healthfully as possible. I'm 66 and am grateful I have not had any serious health issues. Just some aches and pains that have disappeared by eating real food. Still working on getting my cholesterol down, probably won't get it checked again until December. Just 22 pounds to go now to get to an ideal weight. Starting to get macular degeneration, hopefully the continued real food diet will help. The AMD is slight, maybe it would have been worse had I not eaten mostly healthily in the past. It certainly does make me very consistent having a condition to conquer! Here's to health and good food!!
Klosee

Postby americaninca46 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi Klosee, Thanks so much for the post and the encouraging words. Sounds like you are doing quite well yourself. I find as long as I keep the added fat out of out of my diet, my weight is very stable. I look forward to seeing how you progress. I wish you great success. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:30 am

Good morning group, Hope everyone is doing well. I am celebrating my fourth year of WFPB eating. I have strayed a bit during the pandemic, but am basically on track. Some cookies have snuck in. Still having my veggie bean soup every day. I love my sweet potatoes. I am still pain free although I need to exercise more. No health issues. Haven't seen a Dr. in 3 years. My weight is steady at 145. That is almost 70 lbs. lost. I don't pay much mind to it anymore. I do watch my fat intake. Winter has been mild so far except for one big snowstorm in November. Seems this week is going to be colder. In the -20's Pretty normal for Northern Saskatchewan. I have gotten used to it after 40 years up here. Take care and keep safe, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 am

Hi everyone, Hope you are having a good Summer. It is very hot up here in Northern Canada. I am actually looking forward to Fall. I am enjoying all the garden freshness. Trying to focus on veggies and fruits. I have gotten a bit off track. I found that I was getting bored eating the same every day. I don't cook much. Those pizza and burger commercials can sidetrack a person. I sure miss the regular folks who used to post. They were always so encouraging. I don't do social media so I miss some connecting with people.
I know where my weaknesses are and find it easy to get back on track. Some days I just don't want to. As I approach 75 i will reevaluate my life and continue my goal of being the healthiest I can be. I have gained about 10 pounds with added junk food. Even though it can be discouraging, I know the way back. The motivation is not as strong as it once was. I still make my veggie soup regularly and have my hot cereal for breakfast. I did get sidetrack with nacho chips for a while. Crackers and hummus also. I have been dipping sliced peppers in my hummus. I did try some fake meat. Yukky!! I love rice and bean bowls but the frozen ones have lots of oil. I find oil is in everything ready made. Anyway I am doing fairly well. I just wish someone would cook for me. Ha Ha. Take care everyone. I miss you.
americaninca46

Postby pundit999 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:42 am

Hi Rebia:
Enjoying your posts. Please keep them going.
It is interesting to see how long term adherents of this way of living handle the challenges.
Thanks
pundit999

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:45 am

Thanks so much for your reply. It is always nice to hear from a familiar poster. I have already lost a few pounds since giving up the corn chips and chocolate covered pretzels. Surprising how fast the weight comes back. I have been enjoying a baked yam for my sweet fix. Fall is in the air so need to find more healthy comfort food. I do have a recipe for veggie jumbalaya. I had gotten tired of it. Maybe i will jazz it up a bit. Hope you are doing well. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby americaninca46 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:30 am

Good morning group, Merry Christmas everyone. Hope everyone is happy and well. It has been a tough year. It is almost 5 years since I began my journey into plant based eating. I just had blood work done and am happy to say that I passed it all with flying colors. All my labs were in normal range. My diet has not changed much. Still relying on my veggie and bean soup as my staple. Eating baked yams and squash. Apples, oranges and bananas are my go to fruit. Adding a bit of chia seeds to some dishes. My weight is steady. I eat a lot of potatoes and rice. Breakfast is always a hot cereal with bananas or peaches. Homemade soup for lunch. Yams or other veggies for supper and fruit for snacks. I feel good. Could exercise more but am trying to walk more. No real aches or pains. My former arthritis has gone. Trying not to fall or hurt myself. I turned 75 in Sept. I want to be able to stay in my home. My unvaccinated friends all have come down with Covid so not much socializing going on there. I have 3 close friends who I talk to daily and see occasionally. I love my solitary life. Glad I don't need a doctor as our medical system is a gong show. I have 2 wonderful old dogs who make my life enjoyable. Lots of unconditional love. Take care everyone and enjoy the Holiday season. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Daydream » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:58 am

Rebia, thank you for the update! I enjoyed reading it. I wish you continued health and happiness!
Daydream

Postby Ilove dogs46 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:28 am

Hi everyone, I have been trying to log in for months now and finally succeeded. I could not get any help from any email that i sent.It was more than frustrating. Just when i was going to delete the site, I got in by registering under a different name. I have missed you all so much. It has been very hard winging it on my own. I have gained weight and started letting unhealthy food in my diet. Seems like I totally lost my will power. I have to loose this weight due to knee issues. I will share more later. I am just so happy to be connected again. Rebia aka americaninca46
Ilove dogs46

Postby Ejeff » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:53 am

Welcome back Rebia, glad you were able to get connected again with a new name! We are all here to support you. :-D

Erin (fellow Canadian)
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ilove dogs46 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:29 am

Thanks Erin, I really appreciate hearing from you. What part of Canada are you? I am in Sask. I never thought that I would ever get off track like this. It happened so slowly. Letting in a few bad choices and then pretty much giving up. I am not eating animal products except a bit of cheese. It is the sugar and fat from snack and treats that got me. I know this has triggered my knee issue. I am hoping the support that I get from this forum will inspire me. Thanks again, Rebia
Ilove dogs46

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:37 am

Hi Rebia! I came across your story and it is so inspiring! I hope you will keep us posted about your on-going McDougall journey. It has taken me YEARS to finally get on track with consistency. I too recognize the need to stay "connected" - I'm pretty sure I would not do well just out there on my own. I hope you are rediscovering a love of simple and wonderful food!

Best of health to you!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Ilove dogs46 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:40 am

Hi Lizzy, Thanks for the encouraging post. Sometimes I think I am the only one who has strayed. I have not given up all the healthy foods, just have let some high fat items and sugar into my life. Comfort food. I am discouraged because of the weight gain, but am hopeful that i can find more comfort in the healthier options. Too much isolation and boredom. lack of motivation. Thanks again. Now that I can post again I hope to gain the inspiration that I lost while I was without being able to see my on line friends. Hope you are doing well. Rebia
Ilove dogs46

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories