McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting this set up.

I have edited the welcome post from the old McDougall Maintenance Group to help get us started here.

Welcome to the McDougall "Checking In" Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes. Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals and looking for a place to "check in" on a semi-regular basis and to keep in touch with other successful McDougallers who are working on maintaining their success.

This will be an ongoing thread. You are welcome to check in as often as you would like whether that be daily, weekly, monthly etc.. You can share your successes, your challenges, a new recipe, product, or just ask a question.

If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Jeff
JeffN

Re: McDougall "Checking-in" Maintenance Support Group

Postby Daydream » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Jeff, thank you for starting this thread!

I love this way of eating! I have been eating the McDougall diet for 9 years. I just wish I had known about the McDougall diet 40+ years ago so that I could have raised our kids to eat this way. Our 3 kids are all grown up now and they eat the standard American diet (which saddens me). Our kids think I'm a weirdo for the way I eat and they want nothing to do with it. I take care of our 2 grandsons full time during the week and they love my food, HA! :-D
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you Jeff!

Daydream, I feel the exact same way as you do. I’ve eaten this way for 7 years and wish I had know the healthy way to eat when I raised my 3 kids. That’s so great your grandsons love your food! Two of my 3 have ditched meat and dairy and they are all open to eating the healthy food I prepare. I’m sure many people think I’m weird also. I would rather be thought of as weird as opposed to what’s happening with most people around me, weight gain, ill health, aches and pains, endless prescriptions, cancer, you name it. Most people think the doctor will fix their issues, never going to happen. :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Erin, that is so great that 2 of your kids have given up meat and dairy and are open to eating the "on plan" food you prepare. I wish my kids would do that! In fact, I can't help but worry about their health as they age. One fear I have is I don't want to outlive my kids! Seriously, that is a concern I have. I never would want that to happen.
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:08 pm

Daydream, yes I am lucky that some of my kids choose to eat at least somewhat healthier. I know what you mean it’s so difficult watching loved ones eat unhealthy foods day in and day out and not be able to convince them to change their ways. The best we can do is keep leading by example. You never know when they might come around. I understand your fear about outliving your kids. I haven’t really thought about that yet. It would be a terrible thing. We shall pray that does not happen!

Keeping my meals simple right now, currently cooking up some brown rice that I will have with red cabbage and cauliflower.

Have a good week!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks for adding this group; I do like the accountability and support.

I started eating plants many years ago; lost 20-30#s, then bounced around for awhile until this summer when I was fed up with the yo-yo thing, so I recommitted to MWL. I lost 20#s in a few months. I want to lose a few more but have plateau'd. So I am working on changing the combinations of what I eat, etc., to see if I can shed 5 more pounds. I find that eating MWL IS Maintenance for me, with the addition of a few nuts & seeds.

My blood work is superb. My (overweight & much younger) doctor made me come in recently; haven't seen him in maybe 4 years! He has monitored my health online. He said "wow, you are so healthy!" He didn't ask me how I achieved this; I did volunteer that I eat plants.

I am almost 75, which amazes me. Jeez. Eating MWL, even with arthritic hips, has so lowered my pain levels that I rarely even need to take an anti-inflammatory.

My challenge lately is trying new recipes because, no matter how tasty, I am a bit bored with the recipes I prepare.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Daydream » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:28 am

Marsha, you are doing great! Eating MWL is maintenance for me too. I do have one tablespoon of ground flaxseed on my salad everyday and I rarely have any other nuts/seeds unless it is in a recipe (which is rare).

I love finding new recipes that are EASY and turn out good. I'm not fond of cooking so I don't experiment much. Most of the time I keep it simple by batch cooking every Saturday to prepare food for the week (I cook some type of dried beans in my iPot; a pot of brown rice; a pot of soup; and I wash fresh veggies for salads during the week).
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:16 am

Marsha, that’s so fantastic you have very little pain!

Daydream, I also try to have 1 Tbs of ground flax a day. I’ve been eating this way 7 years and have finally started to cook beans in the pressure cooker. Have no idea why it took me so long to start doing this, but better late than never as they say. I’ve also just realized that russets make the best air fried fries because the skin gets nice and crispy. I microwave them first and then air-fry.

Today I will make a big pot of veggie soup as I have the bean water from the black beans cooked yesterday. There will be some food over the holidays with oil, but I don’t stress about that too much. I just try to keep the other days as healthy as possible.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and some peaceful visits with family and friends.

Erin
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:47 am

Erin, I also love russets as air fried fries because of the crispy skin.

What is everyone making for dinner on Christmas? I will make either a vegan lasagna or Lentil-A-Roni from the Isa Does It cookbook. I'll also make a gigantic colorful salad.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Daydream

Postby Ejeff » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:24 am

Daydream, I am making a Mushroom Wellington. It was what my daughter suggested, have never made it before. Not low fat as it uses store bought puff pastry. With that we will have gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts.

We have some other functions also, I’m going to make a herbed cheese ball and a spinach artichoke dip. These are richer foods made with cashews.
Ejeff

Postby CindyD » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:32 am

Hello everyone! I have not posted in a few months. I moved into an apartment for the first time in 20 years back in September, and that was a bit of a struggle at first, but I have adjusted! In 2020 I lost about 70 pounds following the MWL and the terrific forum with Mark and wildgoose and all those folks. And then I followed a few months of the maintenance group, but I think there were only 3-4 of us there at that point. Hi Ejeff! That Mushroom Wellington sounds amazing!
Thanks to Jeff for making this new thread! :)

I gained about 4 pounds back when I first moved, and that hasn't changed much. I stick to the plan probably 85% (vegan 100%), with some Trader Joe's frozen vegan lunches (which have oil), but still cooking without oil or salt. Still doing steel cut oats every day with frozen berries. Lots of potatoes, rice, and not many salads recently but I eat some combination of steamed broccoli-brussel sprouts-cauliflower twice daily (and my dogs, too)! I also do some tofu some days, and a little flax seed or hemp seed most days.

Oh, and I usually have roasted chickpeas available. I never really liked canned chickpeas but now that I cook them in the Instant Pot (my MWL gamechanger machine), I like them much more - even plain. But usually I roast them with garlic powder, curry powder and turmeric.

And I did make a vegan banana bread, and well, it has to have (vegan) chocolate chips. It went over well at the office this week, though most folks here eat a terrible SAD diet. The banana bread is made with apple sauce, maple syrup and ground flax seed.

Hi Marsha! Always nice to see new people. Sounds like you're doing great! You've probably seen it but I suggest trying Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines for a few weeks if you really want to lose a few more pounds. It works! I am at about 145 these days and a 22 BMI, but if I were more strict I would probably be more like 138. I am thinking of doing MWL in the new year.

Anyway, happy holidays everyone! Hope next year brings nice things. :)
CindyD

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:07 pm

12/23/21 And so this year is coming to an end.

Yes, MWL guidelines are what I follow (95% of the time). I have been circling a plateau for a couple of months. Lately I am firmly committed to cracking the 170 #, am .5 lb away and I know it will happen. I just keep seeing '169' in my mind, so first goal it is. Whenever I think of eating when not hungry, I just see that 169 #.

Yesterday I made the NYTimes veggie burgers; so good and so filling. I freeze half of them, and will take one with salad to the family Xmas Eve dinner.

I keep making such a yummy veggie soup (I make my own stock, add a can of tomatoes, a bag of frozen veggies, will buy some fresh green beans today to add). Sometimes I add some basmati rice to it. A big veggie salad too has become a favorite. Last night, I was satisfied with sauteed collard greens and plain steamed potatoes.

Hope everybody is healthy and safe, the best gifts of all this year.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Ejeff » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:26 am

CindyD glad you have adjusted to your new apartment. I love roasted chickpeas also, but haven’t been making them much at all. I should make a batch soon. I love steel cut oats and berries also. I find steel cut much more satisfying in texture than rolled oats. I try to manage my weight by having a hard line in the sand. Mine is 105 and I’ve gone above that now. I’m probably eating too many nuts and seeds. I always find having a line is good for me as it keeps me accountable. So not sure how I will do it yet, but my goal in January is to get below my line again. :-D

Marsha, glad you enjoy the burgers, I need to find that recipe and try it.

Merry Christmas!

Erin
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:37 am

Erin, CindyD, and Marsha: I enjoy hearing about all the food you have talked about--it sounds delicious! Even though I'm in maintenance, I tend to eat MWL most of the time otherwise I will gain weight.

I wish you and everyone Happy Holidays!
Daydream

Postby Suey51 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:18 am

Thanks Jeff for setting up this thread :-)

It's been great to read everyone's posts, hear what you're cooking and how you're doing!

Today we're having a nut roast with no-oil roast potatoes and parsnips, green veggies and gravy. I've made the McDougall recipe brownies and we'll have those with some fresh fruit and soya yogurt. We're also making some off-program items for family members so I'll try to ignore those.

My weight has drifted up during the Autumn/Winter and is now 5 pounds above my lowest weight. Going to do a two week reset starting next week and my husband has agreed to join me so that will help!

Merry Christmas to all, Sue x
Suey51

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories