need protein snacks

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

need protein snacks

Postby anneh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi I find myself grabbing some organic cheddar cheese or organic peanut butter for instance to satisfy my hunger. I need some ideas of other options. Especially in the later evening, if I don't have some sustaining protein I will wake up hungry during the night. Prefer something other than beans :P Thanks
anneh
anneh

Postby toadfood » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 am

What's your situation? Are you trying to lose weight? Do you have heart disease? If not, a little peanut butter isn't going to kill you. Tofu and tempeh are also high in protein and fat, but are OK in moderation if you're in good health and not trying to lose weight.

Have you tried carbohydrate snacks like potatoes and cereal and found that they don't satisfy your hunger? What about more calorie dense food like whole wheat bread?

Beans are the only truly low fat, high protein food I can think of that is reasonably calorie dense (foods like mushrooms and broccoli are actually quite high in protein on a per-calorie basis, but they are so low in calories they won't be satisfying on their own). Have you tried roasted garbanzo "nuts"? You might like those if you are a nut fan.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby anneh » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 am

thanks for response. No don't have a weight problem really but sometimes feel guilty eating the cheese or the peanut butter (have almond butter also but not so keen on it). I do eat nuts so will try those, thanks :-D
anneh

Postby Bambie113 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:07 pm

What about that hummus stuff? I never eat it ( I don't know why, its pretty good) but I know you can make your own and put it on some corn cakes with cucumber/tomatoes or anything else. ( check out the mcdougall approved before buying any) or you can just dip veggies in it! Good luck!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Really doubt that protein is the problem

Postby SactoBob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Why don't you pose your question to Jeff Novick in his forum here. There is no reason why you need protein to satiate yourself at night if you are eating enough healthy and satiating foods. Jeff could probably give you a great answer.
SactoBob

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 pm

Honestly, the type and timing of your hunger sounds like you need to eat more of the unrefined, complex carbs, rather than protein.

Just a thought :-D
talkingmountain

Return to How to Begin