Crave Sugar

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Crave Sugar

Postby patty_athome » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

I have tried being a vegetarian/vegan in the past. One time, several years ago, I managed to stay on the program for almost 6 months and felt great. However, as I grow older, when I try to eat this way I start CRAVING SUGAR.

Does anyone have any suggestions!!!

Thank you,
- Patty
patty_athome

Postby Carol » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 am

What are you eating? I know we are not all alike, but many have found that by eating McD "correctly", the cravings disappear. By correctly, I mean limited or no processed foods, lots and lots of starches and plenty of veggies and some fruit. Just veggies without the starches can and does trigger cravings. I've also read that if our bodies are not getting the nutrients it needs, cravings can be the result. So that's why I asked "what are you eating?"
Carol

Postby rotemmay » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Amazingly, sugar is the one thing I am NOT craving, which is new to me with any program :P . I do eat lots of whole grains and veggies and some beans, which is probably why I'm not craving it. I seem to be doing just fine with the 2 fruit servings a day. I do add condiments such as BBQ sauce and the like, but I try to buy the ones that are the lowest in sugar and I add small amounts so I don't overdo it.

The one thing I am craving, I have to admit, is chocolate! But so far this has been under control. I sort of think about it during the day but when I get to the evening, I chop up some fruit and that seems to take care of it :D.

Tam
rotemmay

Return to How to Begin