mcdougalling for the first time

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

mcdougalling for the first time

Postby swearbyit » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:03 pm

i started the mcdougall mwl plan 4 days ago. i have been a vegan for almost a year now for ethical reasons. people always comment on how thin vegs are, but for me i couldn't seem to lose any weight. if anything i was just continuing to gain. i knew i didn't eat right, but i wasn't concerned because i was technically "healthy" because my blood pressure is 91/60, etc.
still i felt tired all the time, and my face started to get really oily. i read a few good things about mcdougall online so i ordered his book, and even now in the first 4 days of the progam my skin majorly detoxed the first 2 days and it was actually pretty gross the amount of oil that came out. today has been the best day by far with the skin, i can tell it is getting better.
overall, i have been enjoying the mcdougall experience so far. cutting out oils has made me feel remarkably healthier. i hope it is having the same effects for everybody else. :]
swearbyit

Postby Letha. » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 am

Hi Swearbyit,
Welcome to the McDougall forum. I love your Avatar. Hope you’re having a great weekend. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby Clary » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:51 am

Welcome. Hope you will continue to post and share your experiences with us on the board.

Your avatar reminded me of the javelinas (Peccaries) in Tucson, AZ that sometimes travelled out of the edges of the desert, in families--mom, dad, a baby or two-- into the subdivisions to be fed by residents at their front doors. An astonishing sight to me!
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby swearbyit » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:36 am

thanks so much for the welcomes! haha yeah i love my avatar too it's actually my wallpaper on my computer. my roommate hates it, she says pigs are ugly. but she just has to deal!

can't wait to chat with everybody!
swearbyit

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 am

Welcome, I saw you on the MWL board. Isn't it nice to see improvements like that right away.

BTW, pigs are sweet. Pigs are very smart. For two years we raised pigs/hogs for slaughter. That was my first step in becoming vegetarian. Those pigs would stare me down when they got loaded on the trailer to get killed. They knew I was the only one who petted, rubbed noses, and was concerned about them. They'd never hurt me or my baby when they'd get out of the pen. They'd run my husband over in an instant.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby swearbyit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:19 pm

faith, that must have been difficult to bond with the pigs and then send them away. i've never had the opportunity to have any animal other than a dog, but from what people say pigs and dogs are very similar. i think i even heard that pigs are 3 x smarter than dogs. so it always blows my mind when people justify their slaughter with "oh well they were put here for that, they're just pigs". you can just tell by looking in their eyes there's more to them than that.
swearbyit

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Clary wrote:Welcome. Hope you will continue to post and share your experiences with us on the board.

Your avatar reminded me of the javelinas (Peccaries) in Tucson, AZ that sometimes travelled out of the edges of the desert, in families--mom, dad, a baby or two-- into the subdivisions to be fed by residents at their front doors. An astonishing sight to me!

yeah they ate all my neighbors tomato and zucchini plants...I heard her screaming and saw a family of 6 walking off!!!! Now they have a much stronger wire fence....i didn't realize they are around although we hear coyotes every night and see alot of lost dog signs.... :D
ncyg46

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 am

it was difficult Swearbyit. It was my first time realizing that the meat we eat is really an animal and they do having some feelings. They'd run up to the fence when I'd go out. I tried to outsmart my subconscience by naming the pigs meat names, like ham hocks, pork chops.

Needless to say when they'd come back in the box all wrapped and ready for the freezer, I had a hard time. When I'd eat it I'd feel sick to my stomach.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Re: mcdougalling for the first time

Postby Mayflowers » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:57 am

swearbyit wrote: people always comment on how thin vegs are, but for me i couldn't seem to lose any weight.

How tall are you? I'm 5'7" and my ideal weight is 140-142. (medium boned) maybe you're already at your ideal weight and just need to tone up through exercise. :)
Mayflowers

Return to How to Begin