What are dried herbs from Provence??

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

What are dried herbs from Provence??

Postby zimmpr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Hey guys! Yep I'm still here. I love this place. It's awesome! I just ran across a recipe in the Non-Mcdougall recipes called "Fettucinni in Cream Sauce with Summer Vegetables." It calls for 4 tsp of something called dried herbs of Provence? What exactly is that? Can you buy it a supermarket? order it online? Make it yourself?? Has anyone tried this recipe? How does it compare the dairy version of alfredo sauce? Yeah, alfredo sauce is something I have been missing for years. :cry: Thanks your help! :-)
Patty
"Eat to keep your body & our Planet healthier!"
zimmpr

A mixture of dried herbs

Postby Worfie500 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Rosmarin, Thymian, Basilikum, Majoran, Petersilie, Bohnenkraut, Oregano, Kerbel, Liebestockblättter - the types of herbs often found growing in that area of France - smells great!

I just typed the herbs listed off of the container in my kitchen. Petersilie is parsley, Bohnenkraut is summer savory, Kerbel is chervil, and Liebstockblätter is lovage - the rest is pretty much like english.
Worfie500

Postby eaufraiche703 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:44 pm

you can buy the blend from Penzey's Spices!

(you'll love it!)
eaufraiche703

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 am

the smell is fantastic. I have a penzy one and use it so often.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Herbs De Provence

Postby Clary » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 pm

The McCormick brand of herbs and spices have a "gourmet collection" in grocery stores and most WalMarts (and I bought a 3.25 oz container at Costco). That line includes a blend of "Herbs De Provence". The label states: Spices (including rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and Savory).

The way it is worded, I assume there can be other ingredients that, for some reason, may not be listed.

I use it in most of my vege soups and stocks.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Return to How to Begin