new vegan, question

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

new vegan, question

Postby ordelia03 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:16 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I have found the message boards very helpful. I am a new vegan for the last 11 days. Is it normal to gain weight in the first weeks of the change? I gained a couple of pounds, but I have never felt better in my life. I am very happy with the change. Thanks again for all the encouragement on the board. Ordelia
ordelia03

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 am

it can be especially if you are coming from a junkie diet, or a real meat laden diet. The system can get plugged a bit while it gets use to processing the really high fiber.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby VibrantVegan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am

Ordelia,
Glad to hear you are feeling so good. Anytime you change your diet you are likely to have weight fluctuations. Here are a couple things to remember:

To gain 1 pound of fat you would need to consume an additional(that is, above what you currently eat) 3500 calories. To gain 2 pounds you would have to consume an additional 7000 calories. Given the fact the McDougall Plan is a nutrient dense, calorie poor way of eating I doubt seriously that you gained any fat in the last 11 days.

What is likely happening is that because you are eating more healthy carbohydrates you are better hydrated. There is more water in your body now than 11 days ago. 1 quart of water weighs 2 pounds. After your body adjusts to the new diet your water balance will stabilize and you will see that you have actually lost weight.

Have a healthy, happy day!
Vibrant Vegan: An ebullient example of supreme health and fitness. A strong, fit, caring, compassionate, enthusiastic person who deliberately chooses to live a joyful, exuberant, vibrantly healthy, plant-powered life! www.vibrantvegan.com
VibrantVegan

Postby ordelia03 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:10 pm

thank you all for the quick response. i was getting a little worried,. thanks again
ordelia03

Re: new vegan, question

Postby TominTN » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:02 am

ordelia03 wrote:Hello, I have found the message boards very helpful. I am a new vegan for the last 11 days. Is it normal to gain weight in the first weeks of the change? I gained a couple of pounds, but I have never felt better in my life. I am very happy with the change. Thanks again for all the encouragement on the board. Ordelia

Hi, Ordelia.

I think it's worth reviewing what you've actually been eating. In your original post, you didn't say whether you're following the McDougall program. What Dr. McDougall recommends is a very specific subset of plant-based foods (i.e., those which are whole and unprocessed). It's easy for me to gain weight without eating animal products.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Return to How to Begin