Introduction and a Newbie

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Introduction and a Newbie

Postby roses4alady » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Well, it's time to get serious, so am hoping I can get help because as always, each new diet seems like a sentence. You have high hopes and all you can think about is all the things you "can't" have. Since turning 40 it feels like no matter what I do it won't come off. I ordered the new DVD and went to the library to begin reading the MWL. I prefer simple for meals because of my current lifestyle (VERY stressful job in the military overseas) and want to approach from an uncomplicated way. Since I want to get started right away and time permitting I couldn't read the book in one hour (it will be a little bit at a time), what are some simple ideas for meals. I am a cereal with soy milk person and do love veggies and fruits. I was quickly looking at the types of foods you can eat and wondering do women over 40 "really" lose weight, or is this going to be a slow process since my metabolism is probably messed up like so many women's are. Thanks for your support and will try and post often to share my struggles and accomplishments. After all, we're in this together and I definitely want a healthier way of eating.
roses4alady

Postby Sher » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:37 pm

Welcome! As a over-40 sister, I know what you are talking about. When I hit my late 30's, it has taken much more effort to lose weight--and now, at 45, it won't come off with diet alone, I must have a combo of diet and exercise. We are all different, so your mileage may vary. ;)

Do you mind my asking where you are stationed? I was wondering about the local food available for you, and the national cuisine you may be around.

This is a great board, very helpful & supportive, and lots of information available. Keep checking in, and let us know how you're doing! I myself am hoping to rededicate during Christmas; I will have time off from work, and can focus on myself, & cooking real food instead of eating on the run.

Sher
Sher

Postby hope101 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Hi, Roses, and welcome. I have lost 10 pounds in the last 6 months or so by eating this way (4 in the last 6 weeks alone when I got more serious about the low fat part) and I am 43. My husband is 46 and he has lost 30 pounds. He doesn't exercise at all. In fact, he is very sedentary. So, although it may not come off as fast as you want, I assure you it is possible to lose the excess weight. At present my BMI is within the normal range, but I am quite confident I can get to my highschool weight in the next six months by following this lifestyle.

Breakfast can be quite easy, depending on what you have available to cook. I usually like something hot, so it is either oatmeal with a splash of soymilk and some fruit, or even just cooked rice with the same. You can add different spices to make it more exotic and different fruits (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, vanilla, dates, raisins, apples, etc. I just recently made the Weyani brown rice for the first time and find it to be excellent with milk for breakfast. Even my 14 year old daughter liked it for breakfast. You could have hash browns, toast and jam, or even baked potatoes. I know some of the people around here who have even more experience and success thus far (watch for Burgess) do not distinguish between what they eat at any meal. Makes sense to me. Apparently in the orient they eat rice for breakfast, lunch and supper, and in South America a breakfast is often accompanied by beans.

Anyway, best of luck. If you will follow the principles of low fat vegan I feel quite confident in saying you should have success.
hope101

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:56 am

Welcome to the club! I'm pushing 50 and have been McDougalling for almost 4 years, but really not losing much weight. I had been cheating frequently enough to mess things up, but now since mid-October-ish have rededicated myself to following MWL. The key for me has been to have chopped or shredded salads ready to eat in the refrigerator. My husband takes a container of this in his lunch along with his bread and fruit or whatever else he is taking that day, and I can snack on it all day long. I limit myself to two fruits a day and try to follow the hasty approach, about one third of what I eat is starch and the rest low cal veggies. This doesn't always work and if I feel a little hungry I eat something from the starch category. If I am prepared I have no excuses to have just a taste of peanut butter or a slice of bread with jam - although just a taste of peanut butter is OK on 12 day, if I'm trying to lose weight it pretty much makes a wash of a whole week's worth of weight loss effort.

It isn't as rapid of weight loss as I saw when I was in my 20's and doing high protein dieting, but I know that this weight loss is healthier, and I'm probably not losing bone and muscle like I was on that unhealthy weight loss program. I've lost about 12 pounds I think, and gone down a couple sizes in jeans since starting the MWL strictly.

Your keeping it simple is exactly what I advise. It is much easier to do that way. Also, you should post what you eat every day here on the "What's cooking" thread so that anyone can evaluate it for you if you have questions.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby DianeR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:48 am

All you youngsters :lol: I'm in my 50's and lost 25 pounds this year. (The BMI measure says I'm underweight now, so I'm in maintenance.) I didn't do MWL, but tried to get more of those type meals into the week. Basically, I stepped up the exercise and added more fiber-rich foods (and correspondingly less refined flour and sugar). I also cut back on tofu and fake meat and cheese products. (The latter I recently learned I should avoid altogether -- I used to use them a LOT).

It may be harder for you to lose if you have lost muscle mass, something that happens naturally past a certain age if you don't challenge your muscles. But you can lose. I just hit menopause (my motivation to lose -- wanting to be the best I've ever been, etc. :lol: ) -- if I could lose, you can.

I found keeping a journal to be helpful. I put down each day's exercise, what I weigh, and what I ate (no exact quantities or calories, just very rough). Given the way my weight bobs up and down from day to day, I found I had to average a week's weight to get a fair idea of where I am and what the progress is. Also, I think I exercised more and ate less knowing I was going to write it down :-D

If you want simple, try the Quick and Easy cookbook. A few of my simple meals that follow the MWL guidelines --

Cut Yukon Gold potatoes into chunks. Bake until they start to get brown. Cover with a pasta sauce.

Put canned tomatoes, beans and whatever else catches your fancy into a saucepan, season, and call it chili.

If you have a crockpot, throw some beans, onion, tomatoes, water, and seasonings in there in the morning.

Bake (or nuke) a regular or sweet potato and cover with salsa, leftovers, or whatever you have around.

Make a large salad, including some beans.

Make brown rice (or some other whole grain), add vegetables and/or beans and season.

I'm sure I have some other things I do on the spur of the moment, but I'm blanking right now and my clothes dryer is beeping at me. If I think of some other things, I'll be back :-D

Oh, the Colcannon recipe on the Marla's Marvelous Meals website is a particular favorite of mine and it is pretty simple.
DianeR

Postby DianeR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:50 am

A couple more ideas --

I just tried the Paella recipe in the Sept '06 newsletter. It is really good and fairly easy. You could modify it to use whatever veggies you have. (Personally I always double the amount of seasoning in McDougall recipes.)

Another recipe I like is a very simple risotto that you don't have to stir constantly. I'm going to post it on the recipe forum.
DianeR

Postby CanadianNational » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:04 pm

DianeR wrote:I just tried the Paella recipe in the Sept '06 newsletter. It is really good and fairly easy.

How do I get a-hold of the newsletter?

Thanks much ~
CN
New, but knowin' something's gotta change.
CanadianNational

Postby hope101 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:36 pm

CanadianNational: Just go to www.drmcdougall.com on the home page. Toward the bottom in the middle is a place you can sign up for the newsletter (which I would highly recommend) and a link to the archives.
hope101

How to find archived newsletters

Postby Sher » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:41 pm

CanadianNational wrote:How do I get a-hold of the newsletter?

Go to the drmcdougall.com link at the top of this page. Once there, go toward the bottom of the middle column, where you will see a link for Newsletter Archives. Once there, you will see YEARS worth of newsletters, month by month.

Here it is:

Sept. '06 McDougall Newsletter

HTH,
Sher
Sher

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:25 am

Welcome to the board, here is a link to the McDougall made easy recipes:
http://drmcdougall.com/mcdougall_made_easy.htm

I am 49 till next Friday, and yes you can lose weight, I am doing that very successfully.

Just think of this as a lifestyle change not a diet. Most "diets" restrict food intake which sends a person into a starvation mode causing them to overeat.
When McDougalling you eat till you are full. Keep us posted.

P.S. Exercise will boost your metabolism and that is very helpful, I believe for anyone over 40.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby CanadianNational » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Thanks Sher and Hope -

WOW! I'm so excited - what yummy and informative stuff.

Thanks much.
New, but knowin' something's gotta change.
CanadianNational

I'm over 40 as well

Postby PKM » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi,
I'm also over 40 and trying to regain my health. We can do it together.
PKM

Return to How to Begin