New (imagine that!) and would like input

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New (imagine that!) and would like input

Postby Elle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Hello~

In visiting this forum over the past year, I'm aware that you are a great group of people!

DH & I are planning on making a lifestyle change by adopting Dr. McDougall's program as a way of eating/living. We are happy about our decision.

I'm a sugar lover in a bad way and as a result, know that I will be going through withdrawals that will include mild depression, a lack of motivation, feeling lazy, brain fog & headaches. I'm able to be specific about what I'll experience because I have struggled with sugar/food most of my adult life. I am 90# overweight. DH is about 15# overweight.

I am at the point where I am feeling unwell and want to make a change (as is DH). I have low energy and as a result, know I won't be motivated to peruse the board for wonderful recipes to cook for my family. I also know that once I de-tox, my motivation will return and I will have fun learning to cook new foods.

In the meantime, do you have ideas for food that I can have on hand for us, ready to go in the fridge? I will have beans and rice cooked. I think a veggie soup will be a good idea. Any other ideas? I'll need food for about 5 days, I think.

I love olive oil on salad and am in search of a terrific oil-free salad dressing, too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:) Elle
Elle

Postby Letha. » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Elle,
Welcome Aboard. It’s wonderful that your husband is joining you on your journey. I look forward to hearing a lot more from you. Regarding your question, it kind of depends on what you like to eat & how much time you have to cook. Let me share some links you might find helpful.

At the top of the recipe forum you’ll find clickable lists of recipes from the McDougall Newsletters. They are divided into recipes that meet the regular McDougall plan guidelines and recipes that meet the maximum weight loss (MWL) McDougall plan guidelines.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10075
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10076

I have a blog with my favorite recipes and food photos and even a few example menus.

http://mwlfood.wordpress.com/

If you look in Roberta’s Corner forum, you’ll see lots of folks have posted menu examples that you can use for inspiration.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

I also really like the www.fatfree.com website. It has a great search feature so you can look for recipes with particular ingredients that you really like, say asparagus or basil, and it will give you all the recipes that contain that ingredient. Note, not all those recipes are McDougall, but most can be easily adapted.
Best wishes.
Letha
Letha.

Postby lilmomma » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Wow Letha, I've read some of your posts, & you are a great source of information, thank you for posting links to refer to. I love your website blog! Great photos, I'll be visiting it often, thanks!
lilmomma

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Hello Elle,

Welcome to the board! Baked sweet potatoes are good to cook beforehand. They freeze well as well. I usually keep some in the frig to grab when I need something to eat.

Also, you may want to consider purchasing some of Dr. McDougall's Right Foods. These meal cups are good for whenever you are not able or willing to cook. They can be purchased for probably the lowest price on the net through Amazon.com's Subscribe and Save program.

Hope that helps!
proverbs31woman

Postby Elle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I have had some previous obligations that have kept me away from the grocery store. I will be finished with those this a.m. I'm going to have to get to the grocery store and buy lots of veggies! Next, if I take it easy on myself and remember that this is a process of learning and re-learning, deal with my withdrawal symptoms--everything will be okay.

And, reading this forum will be a great motivator.

Thanks.
Elle
Elle

Postby Elle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Yesterday, my family and I ate the McDougall way!

My de-tox is not going as badly as I expected; I feel some motivation today, even. Today I woke up and cooked. I picked greens from the garden, followed the directions on how to "saute" onions with water, added some bulgur & brown rice....

We're on the road to wellness! See you 'round. :-D
Elle

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am

sounds like you are off to a great start!
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Elle, keep up the good work!

I bet when you've been so tired from past attempts to reduce sugar, you were also limiting your portions. You don't have to do that on McDougall, so perhaps this will be easier than you anticipated!

You've gotten some great suggestions already, and here's one more: Baby (aka "new") potatoes, with skin, boiled or steamed. Keep a bowl in the fridge. Great to eat plain, dipped in hummos, or smush 'em for instant mashed potatoes.

Favorite dressing is Dr. Esselstyn's 3-2-1 Dressing: 3 parts balsamic vinegar + 2 parts mustard + 1 part real maple syrup. Yum yum, it's good on everything! (I actually make it more like 3-1-1 since our family prefers lightly spiced dressing).

Frozen broccoli in a bag. Buy just the baby florets. Steam in the microwave for a few minutes & squirt some lemon juice on it and it's great!
talkingmountain

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:24 am

I'll second the tiny taters. I get some called creamers at Harris Teeter and I love them. They are just slightly bigger than a shooter marble.

Also steamed asparagus with some lemon is good to snack on. I like dill on it too.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:29 am

Does anyone know of a quicker way to scrub those little taters?

I love them and would eat them more often, but scrubbing up a bunch of them really hurts due to tendonitis in my hands & wrists (and I'd imagine anyone with arthritis would have the same problem). :cry:

Is there a shortcut, or a gadget that automates the scrubbing?
talkingmountain

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 am

I don't brush them like I do a russet. I just soak in my food wash. I take my finger nail to any places that look like it needs extra attention.
Faith
Faith in DC

Return to How to Begin