Have lost my job,too.

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Have lost my job,too.

Postby DWerth » Fri May 22, 2009 1:21 pm

I have not had work since last November and would really like to purchase some DVD's that were recommended to me.

I would really like to have Doug Lisle's 'Pleasure Trap' and 'Losing Weight Without Losing your Mind.' Dr. Esselstyn's 'Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.' And, of course the dvd of guest lecturer T. Colin Campbell.

I have posted originally on this board with the topic "Question(s)" and am looking forward to getting started on the program.

Thank you in advance.
Dennis
We are all unique -just like everyone else.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzBbihh/]
[/url]
DWerth

Postby Faith in DC » Fri May 22, 2009 1:27 pm

half.com may have some used ones. I know I get his books there because I lend them out and they don't come back. Why not search it?
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Pleasure Trap

Postby SactoBob » Fri May 22, 2009 1:56 pm

I sympathize with your loss of job, and maybe we can help.

The book, The Pleasure Trap, can be obtained for under $7 used from amazon, although the dvd is better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 403&sr=8-1

I have an extra one of Jeff's dvds that I will lend you if you promise
1. to return it after a reasonable time, and
2. Not to copy it (it is copyrighted), and
3. Tell me that you cannot legitimately purchase it (i.e. you do not have the funds to indulge in any luxuries at all that you could not divert to purchase the dvd)

If that goes well, I can send you some of my only copies. Maybe others would do the same.

I guess the flip side of the job loss is that you may have time to really go at this hard, which is what you will need for success. If you really go for it, you may look at your job loss the way I now look at my heart disease - as one of the best things to ever happen to me. If it weren't for that, I would still be way fat and carrying a bag of pills and feeling lousy. Dr. McDougall really does make everything you really need available for free, and I don't think that finances should stand in your way. I'll do what I can to help if you really want to do this, and this is the kind of place where I would expect others to pitch in too.
SactoBob

Postby DWerth » Fri May 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I recently sent a msg to JeffN to order the dvd of the subject of reading labels. Therefore, we are pretty well tapped out financially for others.

I would prefer DVD's primarily. Book form if only not on DVD.

Thank you.

[/url]
DWerth

Drop me a pm

Postby SactoBob » Fri May 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Give me your home address and phone # in a PM and I will arrange to send you my copy of the Pleasure Trap. You can use it for a week and then please return it to me, since I refer to it often. If it works out, I will lent you my copy of T. Colin Campell. It is a great dvd, but IMO, not as essential for getting into the program.
SactoBob

Postby DWerth » Fri May 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Is the Pleasure Trap available anywhere on DVD?
I am looking to have these on disc to easily refer back to.

Again, thanks.

[/url]
DWerth

Here is is

Postby SactoBob » Fri May 22, 2009 4:03 pm

It is available here
http://drmcdougall.com/store_pleasuretrap.html

The reason that I think it is so important is that it gives you insight into the obstacles that make it hard at first to adopt this program and stay with it. It also gives you a lot of good strategies which will help you adopt and stay with the plan - things that were just invaluable to me. It also showed me, and as proved to be true, how the foods which you may dislike at first will eventually give you just as much pleasure as the foods that you are eating now.

In fact, you will have more pleasure, because you know that the foods are good for you and preserving your health as well as tasting great. But they won't taste great at first, and it will be good to know why and for how long.
SactoBob

Postby DWerth » Fri May 22, 2009 4:22 pm

We would appreciate any/all DVD's from the fine people associated with this site.
Oh, and we received Dr. M's cookbook, we recently purchased, in the mail today.

[/url]
DWerth

Help

Postby SactoBob » Fri May 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Sorry, but I don't have any dvds that I don't use myself. If you need to borrow one, I could go for that.

Here is a good free start - a breakfast that would work for you and you could have every day. It is economical and not hard to prepare -

Oatmeal (with no milk of any kind) topped with a variety of fruit (reasonable amount).
Sprinkle with ground flaxseed, and eat as much as you like.

This is very healthy and promotes weight loss. It is low calorie density, and the lack of variety also helps with the weight loss. See if you can get used to it, and meanwhile start thinking about lunch.

In general, you want to eat no animal based foods, and as much as you can whole plant foods. All grains should be whole grain. Try to buy as little as possible packaged foods. Anything packaged or canned, check the labels. You want the calories from fat to be no more than 20% of total calories per serving. You want the sodium number to be no more than the number of calories per serving. You want a short list of ingredients with no oils at all, and no sugars in the first three ingredients. Jeff's dvd will explain. Start eating out of the McDougall and Esselstyn cookbooks. No oil added to your food at all. You will hate it for a month or two and then love it for the rest of your life. You will be angry that nobody told you this before as you lose weight and disease and gain energy and health.
SactoBob

Return to How to Begin