i'm new...HELP!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

i'm new...HELP!

Postby stephie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi everyone:
I’m starting tomorrow. it’s just that I’m sooo skeptical of eating so much starch and losing weight! I’ve read the book and read success stories, but still I think I’m gonna get even bigger on this diet!
Confused!
stephie

Postby hope101 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:21 pm

I know--imagine, getting to eat foods we love and lose weight at the same time. But it does work, unless you are a volume eater, in which case there are some fabulous people here who have made this diet work for them by being very careful about the amount of vegetables they eat compared to starches. I have been vegan for 10 months now, and was slowly losing weight but was quite frustrated. Since I committed to McDougalling my weight loss picked up considerably. I now have a normal BMI but want to get lower and believe I can. My weight is now lower than I was able to achieve with a LOT of exercise and strict portion control on Weight Watchers.

Anyway, welcome. The boards are slow today (probably a lot of people Christmas shopping), but come back lots with your questions. There are people who have been McDougalling and maintaining a healthy weight for years yere.
hope101

Postby Sunny » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:18 am

Welcome to the board. Glad to have you here. :-D

I have told some people who are skeptical of starches, that complex carbs, such as potatoes and grains do not make you fat !!! Simple carbs pasta, bread, etc... do not make you fat !!! It's what you put on them that usually makes a person fat. If you slather the bread w/ butter or put cheese on the pasta that will make you fat. :( If you put steamed veggies or veggie chili on a potato or with rice, you will have lots of good, filling food and lose weight, simple as that.

If you have the MWL book you will see that complex carbs are a quicker way to lose weight. If you have the 12-day book, which I think everyone should start out with, you lose a little slower, but it's easier for a person to adjust too.(my opinion) :-D
You may also want to think about what too much protein does to your kidneys and liver !!! They have to work extra hard to get rid of excess proteins in your system. :-(

I do recommend you read Dr. McDougall's books they are full of good scientific information. Hope to see you posting here often. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Welcome!

Postby S B » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Welcome aboard!

Here is something you need to know and should NOT be alarmed over! If you have been “low-carbing”, then you might experience a slight gain in weight when you first begin McDougalling WHILE you are ACTUALLY LOSING FAT! This weight gain will NOT be from body fat! It will be from restored glycogen in your muscles and liver. “Low-carbing” rids your body of lots of glycogen which is dissolved in water (which gives it most of its weight).

Also, most everyone, whether or not they have be low-carbing, will have an increase in digestive tract weight (from high fiber foods that hold water).

Once these changes take place, your weight should start to drop.

Remember the saying, "The fat you EAT is the fat you WEAR, effortlessly!" …..and keep in mind that eating too much protein has LOTS of very harmful side effects. So, the only thing LEFT to eat LOTS OF is CARBS! .....and this is FINE since our brains and bodies NEED carbs for fuel. However, KEEP IN MIND that the best way to get carbs is by eating whole starchy foods -- NOT highly processed/refined foods!

As you already know, you need to couple this healthy diet with some exercise and clean habits for best results -- weight-wise and health-wise!

Of course, volume eaters (binge eaters) need to be careful NOT to OVEREAT moderate and high calorie-dense foods, in general, while still eating a high starch diet. Keeping LOTS of raw green & yellow veggie salad on hand AT ALL TIMES to guiltlessly binge/pig-out on is one way I combat my volume eating tendencies. That way, I am not tempted to eat 3 or more large platefuls of dinner when only 1 to 1.5 platefuls are all I need for one meal. Also, I sometimes eat a medium plateful of a balanced McD-type meal and then wait 30 minutes (to allow my brain and body to acknowledge that I have eaten) and then go back for seconds, if I am still hungry.

BUT -- MOST people are NOT volume eaters. So, do NOT worry about all of this volume eating stuff right now. Just follow the regular McD plan (12-Day). If that does not work try MWL. If that does not work, then read the article on volume eating in the Nov. 2005 McDougall Newsletter.

I wish you much success!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

wow

Postby stephie » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:20 pm

great info!
thank you for all your replies! i feel a lot better now! I feel that there are people who care! LOL....
I will keep you posted! I log on pretty much every day... i like the vibe around here!
stephie

Return to How to Begin