New - What's the Difference Between McDouggall books?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New - What's the Difference Between McDouggall books?

Postby seekfirst » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi, everyone; just registered after lurking for a few weeks. Will do a more thorough introduction later. But had a quick question.

What's the difference between "The McDougall Plan" and "Maximum Weight Loss"? Do you recommend one over the other?

I kind of like to read more about the "why" than the "how" and although I'll probably get both books eventually, I was wondering if one explained the science behind the plan more than the other.

Thanks. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
seekfirst

the books have changed

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:25 pm

over the years Mary has eliminated to higher fat products in her recipes...I have most of them and the earlier books did have higher fat products in them.
I use the quick and easy cookbook most of the time and also the Esselstyn Prevent and reverse heart disease most of the time. NO OIL. no oil period. it works.

If you get the dvds of the recipes remember that the irrestible recipes are for special occasions only..not for regular eating . yes they are delicious but more higher in fat. The McDougall made easy is pretty good. Hope this helps! :D
ncyg46

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:00 am

The McDougall Plan I think is what you will see referred to here as the 12 day plan, it includes bread and pasta. Maximum Weight Loss or MWL is the pared down version with no bread or pasta, designed for quicker weight loss. It is what they use now at the live in program.

I think both books explain the program pretty much the same, and in MWL he explains why you lose weight faster if you don't eat bread and pasta and higher far things like tofu and avocado and nuts. They both have recipes, each book has recipes and none are repeated as far as I know. So if you get all the books you will have way more recipes than you can ever use!

The Quick and Easy cookbook also explains the plan in a more bare bones fashion.

You can also get the basic plan free from Dr. McDougall's main website under "free plan" on the left side, scroll down.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Book Recommendations and Reviews

Postby Clary » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:05 am

You might also enjoy some of the information at the "Book Recommendations and Reviews" LINK (and other information), at this page provided by TominTN:

http://mcdougall-friendly-recipes.pbworks.com/
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby serenity » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:14 am

If you like the "why" and can get your hands on an old copy of The McDougall Plan, I recommend it highly.

And I respectively disagree with Nancy. I think the books and recipes were much more strict in the beginning. In The McDougall Plan, Dr. McDougall even cautioned against using much mustard because of the fat. (Mustard is a seed!) The few richer recipes were all noted with a crown next to it, and none of them (as I recall) were as rich as Mary's lasagna or tofu tacos. (See the newsletters - delicious!)

Anyway, I think you are wise to understand the why. I personally think it gives us the tools for making good decisions if we understand the underlying principles.

Best wishes.
serenity

books vs dvds

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:04 am

you are right, and the recipes are marked with a symbol of what they are, high-fat plant foods, simple sugars, added salt, high protein foods...

.Actually the point I was trying to make was between the dvds, and that McDougall Made Irresistible had the higher, richer recipes for special occasions.

also there are ingredients in the newsletters that are higher fat...like:

Imported From: april 2007
Basic Hummus

Ingredients:

● 1 15- ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
● ½ cup water-packed, roasted red peppers
● 3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed butter)
● 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
● ¼ tsp. cumin
● Salt, to taste

that's just one that I noticed...

You are right that The McDougall Plan, 1983 is an excellent book and can still be found on half.com and other places.
ncyg46

Re: books vs dvds

Postby serenity » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 am

ncyg46 wrote:you are right, and the recipes are marked with a symbol of what they are, high-fat plant foods, simple sugars, added salt, high protein foods...

.Actually the point I was trying to make was between the dvds, and that McDougall Made Irresistible had the higher, richer recipes for special occasions.

also there are ingredients in the newsletters that are higher fat...like:

Imported From: april 2007
Basic Hummus

Ingredients:

● 1 15- ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
● ½ cup water-packed, roasted red peppers
● 3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed butter)
● 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
● ¼ tsp. cumin
● Salt, to taste

that's just one that I noticed...

You are right that The McDougall Plan, 1983 is an excellent book and can still be found on half.com and other places.

It occurred to me that you might have been referring to the newsletters, etc. I agree. :-)
serenity

books

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 pm

in another thread I asked about a few Jewish cookbooks....one I ordered is called The Jewish Vegetarian Year Cookbook. I guess it is an okay book but everything has vegan butter or oil in the recipes, so I guess I will send that one back :( Have another one ordered from Half.com so I won't get it for awhile called the Low Fat Jewish Vegetarian Cookbook...I will keep that one since it was only 2.95 and has to be lower in fat then this one!

I am eating very simply in this hot weather, just trying to get inspired to try a few new things...most of the recipes make so darn much that I get tired of eating it. I know I can freeze it, but I never know if I will like it or not...
ncyg46

Postby seekfirst » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:55 am

Sorry for the delayed response (I usually don't get online too muchon weekends) Thanks to everyone for their answers. I think I'll get a used The McDougall Plan at Amazon and start with that, and then add on as I go.

Thanks again!
seekfirst

Re: books

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 am

ncyg46 wrote:Have another one ordered from Half.com so I won't get it for awhile called the Low Fat Jewish Vegetarian Cookbook...I will keep that one since it was only 2.95 and has to be lower in fat then this one!

This is the one I sent you that recipe from in the other post, the cholent. Yes, these are *very* McDougall friendly recipes once you remove the oil for sautéing. IIRC that's the only time any fat is called for.
VeggieSue

the book

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:14 am

well the half.com person wrote this morning that they were refunding my money since they didn't have or couldn't find the book! So I reordered it from Amazon...will have it in two days!

Just am not being very creative with meals right now with the summer heat :( I have that recipe you sent in my recipe program already! Thanks again!
ncyg46

Postby seekfirst » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:22 pm

I ordered the McDougall Plan from Amazon yesterday; with shipping, a total of $5.98. They said they try to ship within a one day of receiving the order, so am hoping it won't be too long.

Going to see "Food, Inc." tonight and am really excited (how sad is that :D ). Anyone else see it yet?
seekfirst

There is a thread on it somewhere.

Postby f1jim » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Search for Food, Inc.
It should come up.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to How to Begin