Which diet program to begin?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which diet program to begin?

Postby 4givn1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I found the McDougall website by accident while researching the Daniel Fast from the Bible. The McDougall diet seems similar and I have always believed that God put healing qualities in the natural foods He gave us. I'm interested in starting the program, but not sure which one to begin - the 12 day plan or the MWL plan or the mini-McDougall plan.
I am a 50 year old female, not overweight, but have severe osteoarthritis in the base of both thumbs and joint pain and stiffness throughout most of my major joints. I do get regular exercise - jogging, biking, light weights - and other than a terrible craving for sweets, eat pretty well.
Many health issues run in my family, such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancers, so I am eager to make whatever lifestyle changes to avoid these.
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8
4givn1

MWL

Postby SactoBob » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Dr. McDougall recommends the MWL plan for those who want to make the biggest change in their health. It is the most difficult plan, but the one with the most potential to turn your health around. It is the plan he recommends for those who need to address a medical issue.

Dr. M discusses this concept in the two dvds that he has on special sale right now. They would be a great investment as an intro to what his program is all about.
SactoBob

Postby rogermoore » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:12 am

I recommend McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss - it's a great book to being your journey.
Roger Moore, PhD
http://www.hypnosishealthinfo.com
http://www.slenderforlife.com
rogermoore

Postby eaufraiche703 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:52 am

Of course you can order books and DVD's, but why not begin with the 12 day that's on this site and ready to roll? There's also a wealth of info here to get you started! You already know you want to pursue this...

(I had books and DVD's - they're great, but the info and links from Dr McD's home page got me goin' on the program and books and DVD's were useful after that. Everyone approaches this differently, of course...)

You're going to love the way you feel, 4givn1. Welcome to the Boards, and Happy McDougalling!

Polly
eaufraiche703

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:51 am

I agree with Polly, if you don't have any weight to lose, then start with the 12 day plan. I would lean toward whole foods, not all processed. That isn't what mcdougall wanted when he let you have richer food like whole grain bread or pasta. He does have a ton of info. Get the basics down then you can fine tune if you need it.

Don't forget the tab for approved packaged foods. Also sign up for the newsletters. They are free. The doctor is wonderful and giving with loads of info right here on his site.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Thanks for the help

Postby 4givn1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks to all of you for your insights. I am more inclined to begin the 12-day plan and I have been reading through the free website. Lots of good menu ideas which I need being a single person who usually grabs what is available in the cupboard or refrigerator.

The exercise part is easy for me since I have always enjoyed being active. My dad stayed very active and very healthy for the majority of his life. My mom was very inactive and has had many heart and disease issues. I definitely have seen the benefits of the active lifestyle and changing my eating habits will complement that.

Is there anywhere on the forum where people post their menu plans to share ideas with others?
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8
4givn1

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 am

Good for you. First off, go at it simple. I eat very simple. I try and cook one thing each week, and I freeze it. I have quick stuff on the shelf and in the freezer. My breakfast is simple oatmeal and fruit, my lunch is simple a huge salad and homemade vegetable soup, my dinner changes. I can't cook during the week, so I do whatever cooking Friday evening - Sunday.

We have a board with recipes. We also have a board called Who's cookin/ and movin. That'll give you some ideas on how folks eat. Believe me as a single, spending sunday at the market, then washing all the stuff, letting it sit and dry in paper towels, then around 4pm I start my weekend wind down, and prep. It gets me in the mindset of the funs over. NOW Friday I may prep and throw on a dish, or at least prep it to throw in the crock pot on Saturday.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:22 am

Some people post their daily menus in their journals. That's in the "journals" section of this forum.
talkingmountain

Return to How to Begin