Rice Milk vs. Soy Milk

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rice Milk vs. Soy Milk

Postby windycitychick » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:33 pm

I'm looking for clarification/recommendations for the use of rice milk and or soy milk in the program. Are both allowed? Have those who use these products on cereal or in cooking still hadl luck with weight loss?
windycitychick

Postby hope101 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:39 pm

Windycitychick: If you go to the main website, somewhere there is a list of foods that are allowed, including whether they are considered "rich", and therefor a treat, compared to normal. Here is a link that may help you in the meantime.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free_4d.html
hope101

Soy or Rice

Postby VeganMan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:28 am

I use soy milk (Silk) all the time, over cereal (not a lot) and in baking (anything). I like the taste of soy, almond and cashew milk...I do not like rice milk, although rice milk is probably the best for you.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby zeuxia » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:54 am

I prefer rice milk, because it has about the same consistency as skim milk. But, sometimes I cheat and get soy lattes every once in awhile :) Someone on this site also posted a good way to make rice milk at home.. you basically just make rice as you normally would, and then strain the rice out and put the remaining juices in the fridge. Instant rice milk! Much cheaper, too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnIe9aF/]
[/url]
zeuxia

Busting my bubble

Postby VeganMan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:20 pm

Carroll -

I was really enjoying Silk, now you have me worried...darn it!!

In all fairness, thank you for the warning, I do appreciate...got me thinking and reading again.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby hope101 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:46 pm

Here is a link to the Silk website (you got me curious and I do love to solve mysteries).

http://www.silksoymilk.com/FAQ.aspx#AL-20

According to them, these "natural flavours" are vegan and do not contain caffeine, unless it is added in the form of cocoa in chocolate Silk and tea in chai Silk or coffee in cappucino Silk.
hope101

Re: Soy or Rice

Postby CanadianNational » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:53 pm

VeganMan wrote:I like the taste of soy, almond and cashew milk...I do not like rice milk, although rice milk is probably the best for you.

I, too, am a fan of almond milk - I make my own and it's delicious. I make AMAZING "milkshakes" with my own almond milk and store-bought frozen fruits. I add a little rice bran for texture and drink it down. I think, however, I will need to do that in moderation now, eh? :D

CN
New, but knowin' something's gotta change.
CanadianNational

Postby zenmaria » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:59 am

I switched from Silk Vanilla to Plain, but noticed that they both have evaporated cane juice as the third ingredient. From what I understand evaporated cane juice is just another type of sugar and should be avoided - true?
zenmaria

Postby Mrs Missakian » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:37 pm

So are rice milk and soy milk interchangeable when used in recipes?
Mrs Missakian

Re: Busting my bubble

Postby slugmom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm

Carroll wrote:I've been considering getting myself one of those soy milk makers for awhile now, but I don't drink it much since McDougalling (not at all for seven months while I was doing MWL) although my kids still drink it lots. Supposedly they can make all the other milks as well (cashew, almond, rice, oat, etc.).

I've got a soy milk / other milk maker.

I can't remember the brand. It makes soy, rice, almond, etc ... it does a much nicer job than any of my blender attempts. But my children didn't like it as much as store-bought (unless I added a lot of sweetener and cocoa) and it takes a little forethought, you have to soak the rice / beans / nuts for awhile before making it and I am forgetful. And clean up, while not overly difficult, was harder than I hoped (I'm so lazy!!!) So it's been sitting in the cupboard :(

I should see if I can get in the routine of using it again. Even though I haven't been using it, I still don't think it was a bad purchase. I just need to be more proactive.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby hope101 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:31 am

Mrs. Mikkasian, I use them interchangeably in recipes.

Kim, I have a Soyquick too and I confess to exactly the same issues that prevent you from using it. :-( Maybe I will get my butt in gear and make some today. I haven't got it to the point that anyone would drink it but myself, but it certainly does work in baking and is more economical.
hope101

Postby Mrs Missakian » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 am

Hope, you are such a big help! I was panicking a little because I bought some rice milk and then noticed that a lot of the recipes I wanted to try called for soy milk. One of these days I'm going to get more organized. Thank you.
Mrs Missakian

Postby hope101 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:58 am

My pleasure.
hope101

Soymilk maker clean-up

Postby Chile » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:55 pm

slugmom and hope101, count me in on the soymilk maker gathering dust in the cabinet. While the process of making the soymilk is easy, the clean-up is quite time-consuming. I got out of the habit of making it myself when I was working overtime last year. Maybe I'll give the rice milk a try again. I think it was a little better with some rolled oats thrown in with the rice to give the milk a little more thickness.
Chile

Return to How to Begin