Hello, I'm kinda new here

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello, I'm kinda new here

Postby kailani430 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:36 pm

Hey ya'll

I'm new here--kinda. I've been vegan for a year and a half, but this is the first time I've visited this website. I am a junior in high school, and I enjoy playing guitar, cooking, exercising, painting and drawing, country music, and animals. I also volunteer at our local animal shelter and at an elementary school for Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

I went from eating a SAD to this and I feel tons better. I don't have that much weight to lose, but I want to be healthier. My mom posts on here as Sierra, and she's the one that got me started.
kailani430

Postby hope101 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Welcome, Kailani. You sound a bit like my daughter, who would be a year younger than you. She does walk and groom and cat cuddling at our local shelter. For years she thought she would become a vet and may yet go for that profession. At present, however, her first love is horseback riding.

It is wonderful that you have learned such healthy habits at a young age. Myself, I had to hit the ripe old age of 42 and have a scare with my heart for me to get wise. I'm sure your mom appreciates a young lady in the house who won't go "ew" at veggies and fight her about eating chicken nuggets. My daughter is vegan too (with the occasional icecream I can do nothing about) and I sure appreciate her support.

I don't know how many "young people" are around (when I was your age I thought 43 was ancient. You might want to consider going to the Suggestion forum and asking for a new board for younger veg heads. Anyway, come on back when you want some support and company. :D
hope101

Postby kailani430 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:48 pm

hope101 wrote:Welcome, Kailani. You sound a bit like my daughter, who would be a year younger than you. She does walk and groom and cat cuddling at our local shelter. For years she thought she would become a vet and may yet go for that profession. At present, however, her first love is horseback riding.

It is wonderful that you have learned such healthy habits at a young age. Myself, I had to hit the ripe old age of 42 and have a scare with my heart for me to get wise. I'm sure your mom appreciates a young lady in the house who won't go "ew" at veggies and fight her about eating chicken nuggets. My daughter is vegan too (with the occasional icecream I can do nothing about) and I sure appreciate her support.

I don't know how many "young people" are around (when I was your age I thought 43 was ancient. You might want to consider going to the Suggestion forum and asking for a new board for younger veg heads. Anyway, come on back when you want some support and company. :D

Hey hope101, thanks for the welcome! I walk dogs at the animal shelter, and I love it! It is rewarding to help the animals, but it is also sad to see them scared and lonely. I want to take all of them home!! I figured if I want to be a vet, then i should get some experience with animals (besides the cat, dog, and goat that we have). :P

I don't want to be part of the obesity trend, so that's why I eat healthy. What you put into your body is what you get out of it. I also want to get in even better shape for weight training this school year. It is coming up in March. I took it last year, and I was the only girl in the class! It was awkward at first, but I soon got over it.

I will go to the suggestion forum and ask for a younger veg-head board sometime. That's a great idea! Thanks for the support, gotta go. :cool:
kailani430

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:24 am

That is so cool to have a mother and daughter here on the board! It's great that you are wanting to follow along with your mother's lifestyle. I have a 12 year old daughter who isn't so excited about this healthy lifestyle. She's been vegetarian since she was 9 but she is not willing to go all the way to vegan.

Congratulations on being a teen who has adopted such healthy habits! Your body will repay you in the long with excellent health! Way to go Kailani!! :)
Dragonfly

Hi

Postby PKM » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:29 pm

Very cool, in Jr. High and learning to 'do it' right. Fantastic!Image
PKM

Postby hope101 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Kailani: You go girl with the weights! When the others see how ripped you are they can get over the fear of looking like men and join in too. Plus, although your Mom probably doesn't want me to say this, you get a chance to meet other young men who who might have an interest in health and fitness.
hope101

Return to How to Begin