McDougall without beans?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall without beans?

Postby satlew » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi,

Anyone on the McDougall program without eating beans? I'm wondering if it is possible to be a healthy vegan without eating legumes of any kind. They are really rough on my digestion, have been for a very long time. I've tried soaking them, sprouting them, overcooking them.....still the same result, lots of gas.

Lew
satlew

Postby prowler » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:30 am

Beano........<g>

try different types of beans, they are not all created equally

I didn't eat many beans when i started, I ate what I liked. I have slowly added beans as I focused on more burritos for the convenience of serving ie breakfast chorizo (soyrizo) etc.

If you eat soy, I have found the soy preseasoned meats add convenience to cooking.....SoCal seems to have a lot of products of this type.

Don't focus on what you can't eat, look for what you like...........

Good luck,
Rick Cox

Prowling the Southwest

3 years in April

I changed from a junk food / steak & tators man to a vegan for health (not a political vegan)
prowler

Use seaweed

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:17 am

Soak your beans with a six-inch piece of kombu. Before you cook them, drain the soaking liquid off and rinse the beans. Cook the beans with the same piece of kombu you soaked your beans in. I do this all the time. Takes that nasty old gas right out!
Dragonfly

Postby hope101 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:56 pm

I think you should be fine, especially if you eat quinoa. I would make sure to have a big variety of grains. Can you do chickpeas or red lentils--I find they are better for gas than many legumes.
hope101

It is not necessary to eat any legumes......

Postby S B » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm

It is not necessary to eat any legumes. In fact, if we eat too many legumes we can get too much protein!

We can get plenty of protein by eating starchy veggies and/or whole grains with some "regular" veggies and fruit. Nuts contain significant amounts of protein -- but they need to be limited due to their very high fat content.

Also, Dr. McDougall recently slightly modified his program to no longer include isolated soy protein. Isolated soy protein raises the level of a certain growth hormone twice as much as dairy protein! This hormone speeds up the aging process and promotes cancer growth! Isolated soy protein is found in many fake meats. So read labels very carefully!

In addition, he says that we should limit the amount of other isolated plant proteins, too. This is because they are hard on the kidneys and bones.

We should get most of our nutrients from whole foods.

For more info, click on "Free Program" on Dr. McDougall's site's main page.

I hope this helps.
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Thanks SB

Postby PKM » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:18 pm

you wrote:
Also, Dr. McDougall recently slightly modified his program to no longer include isolated soy protein. Isolated soy protein raises the level of a certain growth hormone twice as much as dairy protein! This hormone speeds up the aging process and promotes cancer growth! Isolated soy protein is found in many fake meats. So read labels very carefully!

WOW, I have some of the older books, so thanks for the info! PK
PKM

Postby satlew » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have tried beano, soaking and cooking with kombu to no avail. I'm glad to hear that beans are not necessary. I do like them though. I was thinking of using hulled beans like red lentils, urid dahl (from the indian food store). I figure that with the hulls gone they should be easier to digest and the probably are still healthy. I was never one for refined food. I rarely eat refine foods including sugar and flour, and oil. I've done a lot of reading on Dr Fuhrman's site. Where he and Dr McDougall both agree with not eating much if any animal foods and refined foods Dr F does not limit good fats (from whole nuts and seeds) for thin and athletic people. He also stresses fruit consumpton more than Dr M.
satlew

Return to How to Begin