Another newbie saying "Hello"

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Another newbie saying "Hello"

Postby Jack B » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Thought I'd make my official introduction to these wonderful message boards...I have been reading and absorbing information from many of these posts for the past 50 days. It all started for me around May of 2009...spent the summer going to hospitals and having many tests done to determine the cause of some chest pain. Final test (heart CT) showed blockage(s)...doc said I must have stints...did some research (and praying) and ended up here and at Dr. Esselstyn's website.

I went on a med for triglycerides (only 1 out of 4 prescribed to me)...and began McDougalling within 1 day of having my heart CT scan. In 10 days on Dr. McDougalls plan my triglycerides dropped over 1000, my total cholesterol dropped almost in half...and my chest pain subsided after the third day of eating this way.

Needless to say I am grateful for both Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. McDougall...and you folks as well. I've taken encouragement from reading many of your posts regarding your struggles and triumphs!

As of today (50 days in) I am down 23 pounds with about 70 to 75 to go! My awesome daughter has become a vegan to help her old man along the path to renewed health!

Anyway...I am hoping to offer support to others who may be struggling with weight issues or heart problems too.

Can't say "Thanks" enough to all of you McDougallers who have (unbeknownst to you) been inspiring me as I have begun this journey on the road to health!

Thank you all!!
If I'd have known I would live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!-Dad
Jack B

Postby sksamboots » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Congrats on your success!!! So glad to have you here :)
sksamboots

Postby sigma957 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Congratulations on your success! It is great that your daughter is going on this journey with you.

I love hearing success stories like this. It constantly amazes me how well-built and well designed the human body is. We can abuse it for years even decades, then we start treating it right and it gets right on it, getting you healthy again.

Keep up the great work and please, post with your progress and what you have learned. Time to give back, as you've already figured out.
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Jack B

Postby nana3boys » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Welcome to the boards. I look forward to reading your posts.

Angie
nana3boys

Postby Letha.. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Welcome Jack B,
Congratulations on the 23 pound loss and other health improvements. It’s great you will be participating on the discussion forum, helping to spread the good news about the McDougall program. Best wishes. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

welcome!

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:14 pm

and your story brought tears to my eyes, so glad for you! I admit i am still bad occasionally but on plan most of the time....Just disregard anything I say in my journal. Going thru alot of family junk at the moment as usual! :D
ncyg46

Postby serenity » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Welcome Jack. Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing it with us.
serenity

Postby sagegirl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Jack B - Glad to read of your success! Welcome. Sounds like you've got it together.
sagegirl

Postby talkingmountain » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13 am

Jack B - how awesome that you discovered this and had the guts to try it BEFORE you needed those stents!

Not only that, but your example is helping your daughter lead a healthier life... which means she may avoid your heart issues all together. Is that not the greatest gift a parent can give to their child?

Best wishes for your continued recovery and please keep posting here... it helps those of us who are struggling to stay motivated!!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Return to How to Begin