Finally doing it

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Finally doing it

Postby Cathy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:27 pm

After flirting with vegan/McDougalling for a couple of years I have FINALLY decided to really commit. I am 42, overweight, my family has a bad history of heart disease and I need to get healthy!! Going vegetarian was easy, but I have really struggled with vegan. I have to stop struggling and just do it.

Sooooo glad this message board exists! :D I have been reading your posts for a long time and it's given me the courage to face my family and, more importantly, face my food demons. Thanks!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wB7EJjb/]
[/url]
[/url]
Cathy

Postby Letha.. » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Welcome Cathy. It’s nice to meet you. I look forward to hearing lots more from you in the coming months. Best wishes. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Cathy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for your support! That's awesome.
Cathy

Postby talkingmountain » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:09 am

Hi Cathy, welcome! I'm almost 48 (2 days to go!) and also have really bad family history of heart disease. Started eating vegan, mostly whole-foods based diet a little over a year ago. You will find that it is really worth the effort. And don't be discouraged if you slip up sometimes, or even a lot (I'm a living testament to slipping up...:shock: )

Here's a suggestion someone made to me when I first started, and I'm really glad I did it. It's helped me get back on the wagon on many a day:

Make a list of all the big & small things that tell you you are not as healthy as you want to be. Not just the number on the scale: The aches & pains. The cholesterol level. Your fasting blood sugar level. The out-of-breath up the stairs. Places you'd like to sit where the seats are too small. The number of sodas you drink a day. The medications you take. List anything and everything you can think of. Then put it in a place you won't lose it (or post it in here in your journal!).

After a few months, check back. You may be amazed at how many "little things" have improved!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby Cathy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks TalkingMountain!! That is a really good idea. I'm making out my list today.

Happy Birthday (in 2 days)!
Cathy

Postby toadfood » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Welcome, Cathy! I'm 39, and even though I was a vegan before I started McDougalling, I had high cholesterol, to the point where my doctor wanted to put me on statins. McDougalling brought the cholesterol right down and there's no more talk of statins from the doctor. This program works.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Hi Cathy!

Postby woods38 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Cathy! I am 42 also and need to lose weight. My family has a history of high blood pressure, stroke, and diabetes. I want to get healthy so that I can keep up with my teenager. We went on a short hike last weekend and I had such a hard time keeping up. I was really struggling. I have to lose weight and get healthier for my family and myself. Together we can do this! Have a great day!
Woods
woods38

Postby Cathy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Woods,

I totally hear you. I've been doing this for 2 weeks and it's been easier than I expected. (I've never been a good dieter.) I think it's easier this time because of the support on the message boards. Also, I created the "ticker" below so I can post my progress. This has made me feel accountable to the other folks on the message board and I think it's a big reason I have not strayed from the program. Even if no one at home really gets it, I have my accountability group here on the website.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress!
Getting there!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyuxvlo/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyuxvlo/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Cathy

Return to How to Begin