I am new here

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

I am new here

Postby Callalilly » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:44 am

Hi I am new here. I have always been interested in McDougall since reading the China Study a few months ago. I have been doing Joel Fuhrman's Eat To Live but it is so difficult for me to stay on track, due to all green veggies and not much grain, I end up binging on things that I never thought I would eat again, like cheese. I have been a vegan for four months and since ETL I have started binging badly on Pizza Hut and every other pizza around me, McDougall seems more fitting to me and my lifestyle. I am excited to start. One thing I am confused about is the use of nuts and seeds, Dr. Fuhrman stressed these foods so much I feel they are part of a healthy diet, since I am not here to lose weight only maintain I am going to continue using nuts and seeds in moderation.
Calla
Callalilly

Nuts/Seeds

Postby VeganMan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:44 am

I too eat nuts and seeds on a limited basis. I am very active and have my weight under control so the extra calories and fat kind of give me a little energy before or after workouts.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby hope101 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:40 am

Welcome, Calalilly. Dr. McDougall has no problem with eating nuts and seeds if a person has already lost their excess weight. He lists them in the "rich" category, like avocados, which are to be avoided if a person is overweight. This is a great place for help and advice, so come often. I can't commen on Dr. Fuhrman's diet plan but I do know that because Dr. McDougall's plan so closely parallels what the Okinawans eat and he has been endorsed by Dr. Ornish and backs his opinion with the best of medical science I have a lot of security in being here.

BTW, "The China Study" changed my life too. Love that book. Now, if I could only get my extended family to read it. Aah, but denial is a wonderful thing until a person is ready for change. :-)
hope101

Return to How to Begin