eating too much? or not enough?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

eating too much? or not enough?

Postby lucymy22 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi world, my name is lucy and I just started the mcdougall program yesterday, for the first time ever. But iam still going thru a weird stage of always wondering if I might be eating too much potatoes or rice, or maybe not enough calories for my weight. I guess its because this way of eating is soo new for me. if anyone has ever felt this way let me know. I am 5'8, I am 217 my goal is 160. So wish me luck. I have gotten on the wagon and I'm not planning on falling off.
LiFe Is GoOd! :)
lucymy22

Postby pinkrose » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:33 am

Welcome aboard, Lucy! I can only speak for myself. It seems to me that whenever I have made even relatively small changes in my diet, I have asked myself the same questions. I think you will feel much more comfortable with your new way of eating...after it is no longer new!

Enjoy every bite and keep us posted on your progress! :-D
pinkrose

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:40 am

Hi Lucy, welcome aboard!

I remember when I first started eating McD (well, mostly -- I still struggle with some foods but I try), it seemed so foreign, so alien. I could really eat all I wanted? I really didn't have to weigh or measure or count points or calories? I really didn't have to "white knuckle" it from one planned meal to the next? I can really do all these things and lose weight?

But the answer to all those is a resounding "yes." If you eat only whole foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains, no added fats as they are all refined foods) as Dr. McD emphasizes, the only foods you have to limit are added sugars and naturally high-fat natural foods like nuts, nut butters, avocadoes, soy foods.

If you don't lose weight, just post what you're eating here and you'll get lots of folks willing to help you identify what you might need to tweak.

Expect to be really hungry the first few days, and don't be afraid to eat to satisfy that hunger.

Good luck!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

thanks for the support

Postby lucymy22 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:19 am

Thank you for the advice. Since I started this new way of eating I feel like no one really gets it and why I'm doing it, so it feels so nice to have people that have experienced what I'm going through. Today is my 4th day, I usually eat potatoes,veggies,rice,lentils,oatmeal and beans. I do add salt to my food when I serve it and sometimes mustard also a bit of brown sugar to my oatmeal . I have been drinking one cup of coffe a day... but I want to stop that. Do you have any advice of any other thins I can use to add flavor to food besides spices? Thanks again.
:)[/u]
LiFe Is GoOd! :)
lucymy22

Re: thanks for the support

Postby pinkrose » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:11 am

lucymy22 wrote:Thank you for the advice. Since I started this new way of eating I feel like no one really gets it and why I'm doing it, so it feels so nice to have people that have experienced what I'm going through. Today is my 4th day, I usually eat potatoes,veggies,rice,lentils,oatmeal and beans. I do add salt to my food when I serve it and sometimes mustard also a bit of brown sugar to my oatmeal . I have been drinking one cup of coffe a day... but I want to stop that. Do you have any advice of any other thins I can use to add flavor to food besides spices? Thanks again.
:)[/u]

We use a lot of garlic, ginger and chillies here! Enjoy experimenting! :-D
pinkrose

Re: eating too much? or not enough?

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:44 am

also braggs and vinegars. My vinegar collection grew a lot when I started mcdougalling.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Re: eating too much? or not enough?

Postby doublenickel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:26 pm

IMHO, don't worry about eating too much/too little. Concentrate on eating the right foods and that will take care of itself. I find I get a tremendous sense of well-being when I eat the right foods, btw. I hope you do, too!
doublenickel

Return to How to Begin