Another Newbie!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Another Newbie!

Postby happyalyssa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 am

Hello, my name is Alyssa, and I like food!

What an introduction :lol: Well, I got married last year and have put on an embarassily large amount of weight. I've been vegetarian for years but I have always enjoyed my dairy, caffeine, a beer or two (or wine!) with dinner and the occasional cookies & junkfood. Though I've always been fairly active, and perfer to walk instead of drive, I haven't got near as much exercise over the past year as I should.

Anyhow I have been looking at a Vegan lifestyle for a while, in particular the McDougall program. It seems to make a lot of sense, but as with any "diet" or "lifestyle change" I am a teensy bit skeptical. Hence why I'm here to read about everyone's success, hints, and tidbits of helpful information.

I decided January 1, 2007 was my day! So I've been going at it for a few days now. I've made sure to get exercise every day this week and sincerely plan to continue as I believe that's going to play a major factor in my health as well.

Anyway, that's my scoop. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share it! It isn't easy giving up caffeine, alcohol, sugar, fat, AND dedicating daily exercise all at once when I've been living quite a fluffy lifestyle over the past year :)

Thanks for being an inspiration!
Alyssa
happyalyssa

Postby PKM » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:01 pm

Alyssa,

Welcome! I started the same time you did, so we are in this together. Sounds like you’re off to a good start.

Big changes = big results!

I’m new to this forum, but it helps me to post in Roberta’s corner. One thread is what you are eating for the day and one is what your daily exercise is. I post at the end of the day (actual). It keeps me focused during the day. Also, I guess there is a weigh in thread on Saturdays that should keep us motivated during the week.

Waaaahooo!
PKM

Postby noodle » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:23 pm

Welcome Alyssa!

I'm glad that you are McDougalling. You will find that as time goes by, the better you eat, the better you'll feel and look. This alone will be a very strong motivater to stick with it.

My whole family has been McDougalling for four years now - we love it!

Best Regards,

Noodle :)
noodle

Might be easier than you think

Postby VeganMan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 pm

A few things I did as I was quite a meat eater:

1. Think of food as fuel, not as comfort (until you realize the whole grains and veggies are comfort food). Avoid the "bad" stuff as if it were illegal drugs or poison...cause that's what it is. When I look at an potato chips or cookies all I see is a chemical waffer.

2. Don't think of exercise as something you MUST do, think of it as part of your daily routine, just like eating breakfast, going to work, or breathing. And stick with it because it does get easier.

3. Think about how you felt before becoming a vegan, did you have acid reflux, headaches, joint pain, energy levels, etc. In a few weeks, re-evaluate this thought. I have only had heartburn once, my energy levels have increased, and I've had no signs of dyslexia...this helped me reinforce my dedication to a CLEAN vegan diet.

In regard to items 1 & 2, putting yourself in the proper mental state or readjusting your state can really help and coming to this forum can help you stay true to yourself. And if you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Hello!

Postby jamila04 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Alyssa,

I'm so sorry, but I forgot about the recipe, but here it is:

Vegetable Sweet Potato Chowder

3 cups frozen corn kernels 1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup diced carrot 1/2 tea Tabasco
1/2 cup diced celery 1/4 tea freshly grd pepper
1/2 cup diced onion 1/2 tea dried thyme
1/2 cup diced sweet potato 2 bay leaves
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper 1/4 c corn starch mixed in
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper 1/4 c cold water
1 1/2 quarts vegetable stock or water 1 cup chopped fresh kale

Place the vegetables and stock or water in a large soup pot. Add
the soy sauce and other seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the
heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add the the cornstarch
mixture, stirring. Add the kale, stir, and cook another 5 minutes.

I pray that you had a wonderful weekend and these last three days!
I'm enjoying the eating and it is so much nicer having my husband do it
with me. I plan to start walking this weekend. I'm so grateful for having
Dr. Mcdougall put into my life!
Sincerely,
Jamila
jamila04

Postby Sunny » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Nice to have you here... :-D
My advice is make sure you have food prepared and on hand. I feel that has helped me alot. You tend to slip up less if food is ready to eat.
I wish you great success. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Return to How to Begin