Back After Gaining 60 Pounds

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Back After Gaining 60 Pounds

Postby Dylan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:53 am

AUGH!!! To say that 60 pounds just "crept up on me" sounds insane, but that's what happened.

2.5 years ago I was doing wonderfully, was within 25 pounds of my goal weight (had lost 100 pounds) and then, the worst happened (ha ha): I was promoted (to a job that I didn't feel qualified to do, was very high profile - while my natural tendency is to enjoy a behind-the-scenes role at work). I went into full-blown stress response and turned to food (as my old wiring dictates).

I've finally gotten to some resolution with the stress & the job, so have been trying with limited success to get back on board with a healthy lifestyle.

To be sure, like anyone, I can fall prey to "the food seduction" and "the pleasure trap", but a big part of my personal challenge is more about using food as an emotional buffer/aid to what I perceive as overwhelming stress/emotional distress. I'm working with a program to 'rewire' this response, but I very much need diet/lifestyle support, so here I am.

I'm very grateful that this board, and everyone here, is here and to have also found the nutritionMD site (Dr.Barnard) - I need all the support that I can get right now.

Thanks,
Dylan
Dylan

Re: Back After Gaining 60 Pounds

Postby Letha.. » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Welcome back Dylan,
Getting back on the McDougall plan is an excellent choice. I’d be interested to hear what program you are using to “rewire”. Sounds like something we might all find helpful. Let us know if we can help.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby pinkrose » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Welcome back, Dylan! This is a good time to do an inventory of yourself and I suppose you are doing that. If you have the free time to devote to some new activity that will stimulate your mind(studies, learning) and enable you to connect with some supportive people, this may be helpful. The refrigerator is often a poor substitute for meaningful activities and relationships. It always provides something that makes us feel good initially but then you know what happens....
pinkrose

Postby Dylan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks for the welcome (back)!

The house has been purged; I've even gotten my partner to get on board enough to forego mayonnaise and eggs (the only animal products left in the house).

(Letha) The "rewiring" program that I use is called "emotional brain training" (ebt.org). It addresses the CAUSE of symptoms like: overeating, overdrinking, working too much, thinking too much, staying busy-busy-busy, people please, smoke, takingpills -- whatever behavior or substance a person uses as a "best try" for comfort and security and connection. Because it's a neural circuit, simple logic and battling the behavior directly doesn't work very well. This program works with neuroplasticity and increasing skills so that a person can separate from the behavior. It's helped me a great deal in many, many subtle and profound ways.

(Pinkrose). Yep, that says it completely for me. I'm attempting to explore activities and connections that really "feed" me instead of using my "best try" behavior(s).

Thanks again...my plan is to try to visit this site at least once a day!

-Dylan
Dylan

Return to How to Begin