what is the best book to start with

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

what is the best book to start with

Postby lauralew » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I have read hot topics, downloaded second opinion and woman's program but I am looking to purchase a book which is the best book to start with. If it makes a difference 3 months ago I was diagnosed
with breast cancer.
Thank you. laura
lauralew

Re: what is the best book to start with

Postby RowerDave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Many people - and I agree - have recommended T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study" as a good place to start. It's available everywhere in paperback.
RowerDave

Postby lauralew » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Thank you, I have been reading the China Study and I agree it is great. What book of Dr. McDougall's is the best book to start with when starting this program. thanks laura
lauralew

Postby SactoBob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Laura,
I would recommend the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss. Although I don't know what you weigh, Jeff Novick frequently recommend the MWL program for people who are looking to turn around their health. It will give you the fastest and best and most dramatic results. Like you, I came here with a health problem and have been very pleased with how my health has changed for the better.

If there is any way that you could make it to Santa Rosa for one of Dr. McDougall's programs, it would be definitely be worthwhile. There is a lot to learn, and you will eventually be reading quite a bit. You could check out Dr. McDougall's lecture available for free viewing here, and there are a number of great DVD's.
SactoBob

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:44 am

What are you after? A good convincing book for changing from the SAD diet, is McDougall's original book, the Plan. One thing about McD, as studies come out he will tweak his suggested diet. So the original diet has been tweaked.

If you are confident this is the way to go, what about a cookbook?

The MWL is good on losing weight and giving more info on that subject.

One of my favorites was the 12 Day program, it gave facts while following a couple through the 12 days.

Personally I have them all, and have enjoyed each one. I also have I believe, all his tapes (including audio) and dvds.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 am

Laura,

I have three recommendations. Of course you can only read one first book.

When asked, Dr. McDougall recommends the McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook. It has the information in a gentle style and 300 easy recipes. I would second Bob's recommendation for the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight loss. I would also put forward the McDougall program for a Healthy Heart.

If you are concerned with getting started, than the easy recipes are a help, go with Quick and Easy. If you need weight loss or insulin control, MWL is the ticket. And if your Cholesterol is high or you are on medicine for cholesterol, than the healthy heart is of special interest.

Eventually you may want to collect all. That way you have all the great recipes available at your fingertips.

Steve
Steve

Postby Clary » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Because of the diagnosis of breast cancer, you might want to also read Dr. McD's book The McDougall Program for Women: What Every Woman Needs to Know to Be Healthy for Life. That book and many of the others recommended in this thread can often be purchased at half.com for 75 cents plus shipping. If you order more than one book from the same seller, the shipping costs are reduced for all books after the first one.
http://people.half.ebay.com/_W0QQmZbook ... tZ88QQsoZ1
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Return to How to Begin