Cure for Chronic Constipation

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cure for Chronic Constipation

Postby JuliaH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm

I have been suffering with chronic constipation for the last 15 years or more. I am a vegan raw foodist (about 75% raw). I have tried senna (for years), miralax, probiotics, enzymes, enamas (as a last resort), but have not found a truly healthy, long-lasting fix. Help! What can I do?
JuliaH

Re: Cure for Chronic Constipation

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:03 am

exercise? water? I'd think you get enough water with the raw diet.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Kime » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 pm

What is the 25% cooked? Whole food starches such as whole grained rice or potatoes? Is the 25% by calories or by mass? How much oil or fat do you have in your diet? Is your diet low fat? I have a raw vegan "cook"book and I can't even use it because nearly every recipe is very high fat by calorie percentage. Could you be getting too many of your calories from fats and not leaving enough room for sufficient high fiber carbohydrates?
Kime

I've tried doing the raw thing a day or so at a time, and ha

Postby veggiecat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:32 am

had similar probs. Not enough fiber for me. Do you eat beans? That usually solves the problem.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby JuliaH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you to all those who responded. I am beginning to think I am not getting enough fiber (notwithstanding all the veggies I eat)--in the forms of grains, etc., which I eat very little of.
JuliaH

Return to How to Begin