Just started last Monday+Found The China Study

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Just started last Monday+Found The China Study

Postby Mkell3 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:07 pm

4 days ago. Tomorrow I have an echocardiogram-thank god I found the Book "The China Study" and your website from this-It was a miracle for someone who is about to give up.At least I will have had 4 days cleaning up those arteries ! How do you folks cook Brown rice ? I had a tough time of it -it always comes out underdone-someone at whole foods store suggested I soak over night ?

PS I have been taking every supplement imaginable-but thought I was OK with Whole Foods Grass Fed Beef ! Wrong Wrong Wrong-maybe some people can eat it but I know from watching Ophrah last Friday that I am definately pre-diabetic 46 in waist on a 5/9 frame ! Total Inflamation ! And I'm on 2 different high blood pressure meds and gone thru 3 doctors-I just thought the doctor was poor not the diet ! So I am ready to go !

I'm stalling on the lipids chlorestorol test so I can get a good reading
I'll get that done in a week from now.

PS I have the McDougal Tapes and Books are being sent today-can you have the odd glass of wine ? Maybe not straight off if you are trying to clean your Liver Arteries and Kidneys ?

I cannot wait to get off meds /scale down. Benecar just went from 50.00 to 60.00 a month yikes
Mkell3

Re: Just started last Monday+Found The China Study

Postby Vegankit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Welcome Mkell3. I found this site after being shocked into health by reading The China Study too. If you are concerned about heart disease, you should read Dr. Caldwell B. Esselsteyn's book Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease. All of Dr. McDougall's books are excellent.

I know some people have trouble transitioning to this healthy diet, but I didn't and I think it was because I understood the terrible implications of my old SAD diet. Once you've been eating this way for a while it becomes so easy and you don't want to eat anything else. In addition I've seen so many amazing changes in my body and feel so much healthier. I've significantly reduced my inflammation and I know you will too. You're going to love what happens to your body too.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Welcome mkell! So glad you discovered this way of eating!

If you are going to eat rice frequently, it's way worth it to invest $20-30 in a rice cooker. Even the simplest one will work wonders on your rice. Just make sure you get one that includes a separate water level for brown rice. Most do.

Use the cup included in the rice cooker to measure out how much you want, then rinse your rice until the water runs clear, then dump it in the rice cooker and add fresh water to the mark indicated for the number of cups you are making. Turn it on and in 20 minutes you'll have perfect rice. You can also get it all ready in the morning of and let the rice soak before cooking it after work, if you want. If the rice is turning out too hard, you probably need to add a bit more water. Brown rice will always be somewhat chewier than white rice, though.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby Kime » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Get a cooker that says it does brown rice, I think most of them do nowadays. The water level will be higher for brown rice than white. The cup measurment for rice cookers is smaller than the one you use for other things so keep that in mind when you decide what size you want to get. 5 rice cups is about equal to 4 regular cups.

My rice cooker takes about 1 1/2 hours to cook brown rice because it starts out slowly. I have seen another one that cooked it in 20 minutes, so it just depends on the cooker, so make sure you find what you are looking for. It doesn't matter to me because I cook it in the morning, hours before I need it and make enough for several days so I always have it on hand.
Kime

Cooking rice in a pot....

Postby veggiecat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 am

http://www.lundberg.com scroll around the site & you will find basic rice recipe & others.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby brannach » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am

Welcome aboard. Most of us have experienced profound change through McDougalling, Dr Barnard, PCRM et al. You will benefit from reading as much as you can, so that you understand that each of us is different and will have a different experience.

Stick with one program for a while until you really get it and can adjust it to suit your lifestyle. The McDougall books, DVD's and cookbooks are fantastic.

I wish you all the best for your journey - look on this Board when it gets hard and you will always have support and understanding.
Roseanne
I had a weight problem then I discovered it was a thinking problem. Now I know there's a good food solution.
Fave Quote - "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." Ken Keyes
brannach

Return to How to Begin