I can use some help getting started on McDougall

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

I can use some help getting started on McDougall

Postby Lisa M. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I know that McDougalling is a great way to eat. I've known about McDougall for years now and I was even McDougalling for a while several years ago. I lost weight on McDougall and I felt great. I fell off the wagon after a few months of being on McDougall. I gained about 75 lbs since the time I went off of McDougall and I really need to lose weight. Now that we have started a new year I want to lose weight but my dilemma is that I am having a hard time getting motivated to start McDougalling. Part of my problem is that how do you fit McDougalling into a household of meat eaters. Another thing that I find challenging is that I don't get home from work until 7:00/7:30 and by the time I get home, I don't feel like doing much cooking because it's already late in the evening. How do people deal with these issues? What motivates you to start McDougalling and stick with it?

Lisa M.
Lisa M.

Postby happyalyssa » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:37 am

I finally started January first becaues my clothes weren't fitting anymore. I have had more free time over the past six months than ever before and while it has been great for my mental health, I have lost strength, I've gained a lot of fat, I don't feel near as energetic or sexy as I should at 27 years old. In any case, I'd been considering going vegan for a long time but never made the effort to do it. I went and got a lot of "low fat vegan" books, including the great Dr. McD's at a few used bookstores and read my heart out.

I decided well in advance (I think in November) that January first would be my McD day. During that time, we ate up the junk in the house, and when we went shopping I bought myself a lot of items I knew I'd enjoy so I wouldn't have to take time figuring out what I needed, it would all be there. Tons of herbal tea, lots of chickpeas (I love homemade hummus), some dried fruit, whole wheat pasta, low sodium soy sauce, bbq sauce, no-sugar all fruit jam, unsweetened applesauce, low-fat soymilk etc. I basically used up & restocked what was in the pantry with similar yet healthier items so I'd be ready when the new year came around.

You are in a situation where it will be rather difficult if your entire family has different eating habits than you; however you can look at it as an opportunity to influence them as well. My husband eats meat and cheese and junkfood, and while he doesn't eat meat at home (only when we go out), it still can be a challenge preparing meals that we both enjoy. There have been many days where he didn't like what I made or I knew in advance I wanted something he wouldn't enjoy and those were nights for him to have peanut butter sandwiches or eggs.

There are many meals out there that can be Mc'Dougallized without too much effort. Buy whole wheat pasta and serve it with marinara sauce (if your family MUST have meat, cook it on the side and let them add it). Buy whole wheat bread instead of white and pack yourself an Onion Lettuce Tomato sandwich with dijon mustard for work along with a piece of fresh fruit or a thermos of veggie soup. The other day I had buckwheat pancakes & the husband had pancakes and eggs.

I think the trick for me is just to have a lot of food around that I like and that looks and tastes appetizing, then I don't feel as deprived. When my husband buys a bag of chips to munch on during a movie, I have a HUMONGOUS salad or air-popped popped popcorn or something also to munch on, I won't just sit there smelling his chips and being sad that I don't have the metabolism to eat them as well.

Also, one thing I see women (especially) doing is that they'll cater to their family's desires no problemo, which makes it hard for themselves. The way I see it, if YOU are the one cooking, then they can either eat what you cook or they can make themselves a sandwich, lol. Now, I do try to comprimise meals with things my hubby likes, but he comprimises also. We both give thought to each other's preferences and try to agree on things we can both deal with. So for example, I end up eating a lot less soup than I'd like, but he ends up eating a lot less meat, and we decide on beans (or whatever).

Anyway, this board is VERY supportive. Posting on Roberta's corner is a good way to keep a virtual diary of what you're doing. Look around & post a lot, it is a great tool :)
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby Callalilly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:21 am

Hi Welcome,

I am in a ver similar postition as Alyssa,I live with a meat and cheese man. I have to find a balance when I cook. For example last night I made whole wheat pasta with tomatoes, while I was at the italian grocery store getting the tomatoes, I picked up a little to go box of meatballs. That way I just had pasta with tomatoes and kale and the man could add meatballs and cheese to his. We were both very happy. Also I would recommend the McDouagll DVD's like McDougall made easy and the other one called the health revolution? I just watched that one last night it is great and so informative. They also give you ideas on how to deal with other family members and friends that are not on board with this diet.

Keep coming to the board it is one thing that keeps me really motivated, everyone on here is so nice, patient, and helpful. Yes check out Robertas corner to get meal ideas and post your menus. Good luck, this diet is great I have never been happier with a diet.
Calla
Callalilly

Postby Lisa M. » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:25 am

I am very grateful for the replies to my posting. It's really encouraging to be on this board and be able to have help from such wonderful people. I am definately going to keep coming back to the McDougall board so that I can get motivated to start McDougalling again.
Lisa M.

Return to How to Begin