Brand new

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brand new

Postby Gamer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:44 pm

I just began this plan with the 12-Day Right Foods setup. So far it seems pretty easy--has anyone else here started that way? I'm on day 3 and I'm wondering what to expect. I read a couple of the message threads and it seems like everyone here is very supportive and non-judgemental of each other. I'm not sure what all the acronyms stand for, since I've never really posted on message boards before. You guys will have to help me out with some of that.

I'm 41 and am carrying 25 extra pounds. That really isn't very much extra, except that all my clothes are size 8 and I'm now size 12-14. I am determined to get back into those things, since I really can't afford to buy a new wardrobe and I hate shopping. But an even bigger motivation for me is my mother, who is carrying 200 extra pounds, has high blood pressure, 2 heart attacks, diabetes (type 2, but now insulin dependent), glaucoma, bad knees...I could go on, but won't. I don't ever want to put my daughter (12) through what I'm going through, so I'm here. Any advice or words of wisdom is appreciated!
Namaste. Wait, before you go, help me uncross my legs...
Gamer

Postby Callalilly » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:07 pm

Welcome. You will love this board it is so helpful and motivating. If it was not for this board I honestly don't know how I would continue being in this healthy mindset. The recipes are so great, making the plan so easy. If you have any specific questions just ask, I am always around.

MWL- Maximum weight loss program
that is the only one I can think of right now, I had no idea what that meant when I first started. I have been doing this for about three weeks and I am very happy with the way I have been eating, I finally got to the gym today after driving by it for the past three weeks.

Good luck
Calla
Callalilly

Postby hope101 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi, Gamer, and welcome. I have lurked on several boards over the years, but this is by far the most welcoming and non-judgemental I have seen. Just ask if we are using lingo you don't know. Here are a few that might help.

DH-dear husband
DS-dear son
DD-dear daughter
MIL-mother in law
FIL-father in law
ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing) +/_ MFO (my face off)

That's all I can think of for now.

Anyway, welcome! :D
hope101

So glad

Postby Gamer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks hope and callalilly--I was wondering particularly what dh and so on meant! And thanks for the warm welcome, too :D
Namaste. Wait, before you go, help me uncross my legs...
Gamer

Postby DianeR » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:45 pm

SAD = Standard American Diet
OT = Off topic
BTW = By the way
LOL = Laughing out loud
TIA = Thanks in advance
IM(H)O = In my (humble) opinion

I can't think if any others offhand, but ask if you've seen one we haven't covered. Here's a long list of "netlingo" but I've only seen a handful of these on this board. http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

The only ones unique to this board I can think of, offhand, is MWL and SAD.
DianeR

Return to How to Begin