Another newbie with questions

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Another newbie with questions

Postby DavidC » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 pm

Hello
I just bought the book, The "McDougall Program" four days ago, have read 60 pages so far. I stopped eating meats and junk food about two weeks ago because of digestion problems, which is much better since eating fruits and vegetables only. This diet looks great with all of the recepies to choose from. I have a couple of questions, I am 6' tall, medium build and 175 lbs, I really do not want to lose any weight, if anything I would like to gain a little. Will the McDougall diet make me loose weight or just put me where I need to be? I had some blood work done about one week ago, the doctors office called me a couple of days ago and would like me to stay away from carbs. They said the lab results looked good except my good cholesterol was low, this is a high carb diet, if I tell the Doc I am going on a high carb diet he will think I am crazy. He wants to do more blood work in four to six weeks, I plan on doing the McDougall diet and see how the next lab results look, what do you think?
DavidC

Postby happyalyssa » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 am

Hi David,

I'm still fairly new at this so I assume others can give you more knowledgable advice, but I believe it would be entirely possible to maintain or gain weight on the McDougall plan. You're just one of the "lucky ones" who can add nuts, seeds,and higher-fat calorie-dense foods more often. Fruit juice is another great way to accumulate "healthy calories".

This plan seems to accommodate for people of all types, and with very good outcomes (healthy blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.).

In my own experiences of just about 7 weeks, I've lost 13 lbs (a very healthy ratio of weight loss) however, I could easily have gained had I not carefully watched my intake of nuts and tofu, and had I used more tahini in my hummus ;) Also, my blood pressure had risen over the past six months but is now back to my healthy norm (I think it was 117/71 last I checked).

In any case, give it a shot! Just make sure you're eating enough grains and legumes with all those fruits and veggies :) If you want to gain a little weight, an extra serving of beans and brown rice would help!

See you around the boards!
Alyssa
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby hope101 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:09 am

DavidC, welcome to a great and supportive board and a lifestyle that will bring you better health. The good news is that a diet low in saturated fats, low in fat of any kind, high in fiber and plant-based is the ideal diet to treat lipid problems. I am sorry, but your doctor is misinformed on this particular issue. You may have to decide whether you can educate him or her, whether to lie to them (not really the ideal, is it?), or whether you might need to find one more open to the low fat vegan lifestyle. I had a heart valve replacement and had the opportunaty to see a cardiac dietician, and believe me they were nothing but thrilled that I was eating this way. I don't know of a better endorsement. Between what Dr. Dean Ornish says about treating lipids, our own Dr. McDougall, or Dr. Essestyn you have solid scientific evidence behind your decision to eat this way.

Have you read "The China Study" yet? If not, you might want to look at that as it is the best evidence I have seen yet in the largest study of diet and health that argues for why to eat low fat vegan. It just might give you the reassurance you need.

Wrt weight, I agree with happyalyssa in that you should be able to maintain your weight just fine. If you find that you are losing by eating this way because there is a lower calorie density to these foods, you should be able to reverse that by incorporating the richer foods that most of us consider real treats as we lose our excess weight: the nuts, seeds, avocados, etc.

Anyway, welcome. Let us know how you fare and come often. :D
hope101

Why did your MD tell you to stay away from carbs?

Postby veggiecat » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:00 am

Did they give you any numbers for your blood sugar?You might want to see www.pcrm.org diabetes info.They run a live class Thursdays at 4pm;the diet is the same low-fat vegan.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby Sunny » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:33 am

Hi David, Welcome to the board.

You made the right choice in McDougalling, congratulations. It is hard to find a McDougall friendly Dr., most are not apt to change their ways even after seeing good results. Just keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Nice to have you here.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

McDougall's take on Cholesterol

Postby scottp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Hello and welcome :-),

Dr. McDougall is usually more interested in the total cholesterol than the HDL "good" cholesterol. He feels that a total cholesterol of less than 150 is ideal. The following is a quote from his September 2002 newsletter (http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/020900pucholesterol.htm) regarding HDL: "... higher is better, but a healthy diet makes this fraction of total cholesterol lower because all fractions of cholesterol are reduced. So don’t be misguided into thinking something is wrong when your HDL level falls with a healthy diet."

I recommend you read the entire article for a better understanding of cholesterol and the best way to get it into healthy ranges (a low fat vegan diet).

I also recommend you check out these links as well.
Article titled :"Good Cholesterol “Worsens” with McDougall?" in the September 2003 newsletter (http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030900pugoodcholesterolworsens.htm).

And a "blurb" titled: "HDL “Good” Cholesterol is Not Worth Your Attention" in the April 2004 newsletter (http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/040400pufav5.htm at the bottom of the page).

Good luck and again welcome aboard.
Scott

P.S. When I attended the 10 day program my total cholesterol dropped 28 points in 7 days on the McDougall plan (from 156 to 128) my HDL "good" cholesterol was "low" by normal standards and Dr. McD was completely unconcerned about it.
scottp

Return to How to Begin