Hello

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello

Postby chaz01 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm a 44 year-old married systems engineer with 2 little girls (age 2 and 4). I've tried to stay healthy but have always had a hard time maintaining good exercise and eating habits and as a result, my weight has increased steadily over the years. I tipped the scales at 341 on Jan 2 this year and realized I needed drastic changes, if not for me, for my 2 girls who I very much want to see grow up and teach them by example about good eating and exercise.

Since then, I've been working out consistently and started following a low fat mainly vegetarian diet. Originally, I wasn't completely convinced that I wanted to give up meat and dairy entirely, but the more and more I read about the benefits of vegetarian diests and followed the McDougall meals, the more I enjoyed and even preferred them. I've now given up meat completely along with cow's milk. At this point I still eat dairy at most 1-2 times a week, but I'm working on that as well.

I can honestly say that I truly have enjoyed the vegetarian meals I've been making more-so than any meat and/or dairy based meal that I've replaced. It's been inspiring to find new recipes, cooking methods and techniques, as well as discovering new vegetables and spices.

To date, I've lost 34 lbs for the year, but more importantly feel more energetic and healthy than I ever have in my life. In addition, my blood pressure has dropped and at a health screening yesterday, my cholesterol checked in at 168 (I don't know what it was before I started, but I'm certain it was higher).

I realize that although I'm off to a good start, I have a long way to go. I look forward to learning more through these forums and hoping this is just the start of a lifetime of healthy eating and exercise.

Chuck
chaz01

Postby Doris » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Welcome!! Sounds like you doing great. Keep us posted on your progress. Your sharing your progress really helps alot of us to stick with program. You will enjoy your McDougall journey. :)
Doris

Postby hope101 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:06 am

Hi, Chuck, and welcome. My husband is a 46 year old electrical engineer. He got dragged into being vegetarian a year ago and McDougall since November (although I think he still has occasional cheese when he eats out at lunches). He never weighs himself (I know--weird for an engineer not to like numbers) but I think he has lost about 30 pounds since we started. If you would have asked anyone who knows us, they would have never predicted he would go vegetarian, never mind vegan. Well, wouldn't you know that even the bastion of he-dom, his work, has quite a few vegetarians now. I don't think DH will ever go back.

Anyway, welcome. Your young 'uns will have a great start to life. Do you have a small baby too or is it the 2 year old who is still nursing?
hope101

Postby libellule » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:21 am

Welcome Chuck! I like your avatar and his goals! hee hee

--Li
libellule

Postby happyalyssa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum Chuck :) Good to see another person progressing along with the rest of us!
happyalyssa

Postby chaz01 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Hope, actually it's the two year old that is still nursing. So hopefully any special dietary needs (per my other post in the Lounge) won't be any issue much longer. Although weaning her is becoming a bit of a challenge for my wife.

Chuck
chaz01

Postby hope101 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:17 pm

Okay, then definitely your wife doesn't have to worry about eating any different other than likely requiring more food volume as this diet is less calorically dense. I know there are several moms here (slugmom and Carroll) who were nursing their toddlers. They both happen to be pregnant right now, but that's another story. Obviously McDougalling didn't interfere with fertility! :eek:
hope101

Postby chaz01 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:27 pm

Hope,

Also wanted to congradulate your husband (and you) for your success. I can relate to your husband -- I work in a mostly male environment as well. I've not been brave enough to share my new found interest in vegan eating as I suspect that I just get a lot of stares for now. I know that he faces some real challenges as eating at the workplace and lunchtime meetings can be problematic. I keep a hidden "stash" of whole grain cereal in a cups and the McDougall meals in a cup for those occasions when I can't make it home for lunch.

I have to tell you that I did recently host a poker night at my house. As host, I was wondering what to serve. I bypassed the normal chicken wings and potato chips and instead had the following -- baked chips, salsa, a salsa/bean dip combination, fresh fruit and a pear-jalopena dip (recipe came from Ornish's Eat More, Weigh Less). I don't know if the guest were just being nice or they really didn't notice anything different, but they seemed to enjoy most of the food and not one commented on the change in the typical menu!

Chuck
chaz01

Postby hope101 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Chuck, he is a brave man. :D I am very proud of him, because it's not easy being a trailblazer. Please take into consideration that we live in the heart of Canadian cattle country, so he is even more heretical. What has worked for us is that most meals I pack him lunch. It is often just leftovers of supper with fruit and veggies, but it is amazing how many people have no clue he is vegetarian because he just doesn't make a big deal of it. He stopped eating at the work cafeteria years ago because it was just nasty by any standards. When he has a meeting at work he normally orders the food and always gets a vegetarian menu. Fortunately, there are a fair number of Seikh's (?sp) and Hindus who don't eat meat for religious reasons, so the vegetarian food often goes first. (I suspect it is not vegan or low fat always, however.)

I think he uses me as an excuse sometimes and I'm happy to be one. I was born with congenital heart disease and had to have a valve replaced almost two years ago now. Needless to say, most people are quite understanding that we would take our nutrition very seriously. He has told the few people who have been cutting that he does it to support me. They have a hard time arguing with that.

Bravo for you for changing the poker menu! I bet you are right and people just didn't notice. If you made a big deal about it you likely would have been ribbed in a manly way :roll: . Especially if they detect insecurity. I actually find it easier to entertain and be in charge of the menu because people don't honestly think much of vegan meals being served unless you rub it in their face. Eating at other people's homes can be a little trickier. But, you are obviously an intelligent man--breastfeeding wife, 2 girls, engineer and McDougaller to boot--and I am sure you will find your way with time. And just wait til you you start losing weight and it shows (my husband lost about 30 pounds effortlessly) and they want to know what you are doing. They will be very, very interested. At least until you tell them they can't have steak.

Is your wife McDougalling too? And the girls?
hope101

Postby chaz01 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:08 am

Hi Hope,

My wife (who unlike me is pretty much her normal weight) has been very supportive and has been happy to eat vegetarian meals with me. It has to be helpful having a supportive spouse -- for me, the difficulty in following the McDougall plan has always been the amount of time for planning meals, groceries, and preparing meals. I don't think I could do this on my own.

My kids are a different story and one that I am concerned about. They've already started on McDonalds, and their favorite meal is macaroni and cheese. I would love to find some McDougall friendly meals that my kids will eat, but so far I've been striking out.

Chuck
chaz01

Postby hope101 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 am

Chuck, that is so wonderful your wife is supportive. That just makes life so much easier, right down to what is in the house if you are having a day of temptation.

My kids, now 10 and 14, McDougall right along with us. They were actually happy to give up McDonald's because they had made the meat-animal connection early and actually weren't happy about it at all. They do this lifestyle more for the animal welfare issue with the knowledge about health being the reinforcement. As for the mac and cheese, that used to be a staple in this house too. For a while, when I was building up more of a repetoire for them to eat, I would just "forget" to have it in the house. They would still ask and I'd serve it once in a while. But then a funny thing started to happen. Even when I had it in the house they just didn't ask for it any more. Now it isn't even an issue. Tastebuds do change.

BTW, there are some McDougall legal mac and cheese recipes. I haven't bothered to make anything other than a fake cheese sauce for "grilled" cheese sandwiches that I make whenever I get a craving, but I am sure someone here will have a good recipe for you.
hope101

Postby scottp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 am

chaz01 wrote:their favorite meal is macaroni and cheese

My kids (3 and 5) are having some of the same issues and they too love mac and cheese. So, I emailed Mary McDougall and asked her for suggestions and here is her response.

"Our favorite substitute is Baked Penne Florentine in the newsletter. Our grandson who is 3 also loves it. If your kids won't like the spinach in it, just leave it out, or choose another vegetable instead. It's not real easy to make, but the flavor is wonderful. I will work on another simple one for next month's newsletter."

This recipe is in the February '06 newsletter (http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/february/060200.htm)

I have since talked with Mary and she told me that Heather (her daughter) and her and been experimenting and that they came up with a pretty tasty one that they are planning to put in the next newsletter.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Scott
scottp

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Getting those kids into something healthier might need to be gradual. You are in Dayton, so you have to have larger cities around. Is there a Whole Foods Or other Natural chain in Dayton? They do make kids meals for veggies. That could be a subsitute for mcdonalds.

I remember when I was young it was more the change in routine that I got excited about, not the food.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to How to Begin