The spirit is willing ...

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

The spirit is willing ...

Postby Kerrie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:53 am

Well, you know the rest, eh?

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and decided to register so I can participate, too. I may not be a super-regular poster due to a fairly hectic lifestyle, but I wanted the option.

Brief intro ... I have been searching for the "cure" for my obesity for a number of years (15 or so). Early this year I read "The China Study," which led me to Dr. McDougall's program. I was rather surprised when I checked his books out from the library to find that this is something I looked at a few years ago. It didn't really stick at that time, obviously. This time, though, when I read "The China Study" things started to come together. Not only does a mostly vegan lifestyle fit with my religious philosophy, it finally is resonating for health reasons. I'm also studying medical transcription and am typing report after report of people with the same host of medical problems: cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, hyperlipidemia ... you know the litany. They all go together. I think I'm finally at a point in my life that this is what I'm ready for.

The problem? It's the second half of what I started with ... The flesh is weak. I have something like 115-135 pounds to lose (depending on where I want to end up). Not only is it overwhelming to look at such a large amount (I know, 1 pound at a time ...), but I've eaten a totally SAD diet to get me here. The cravings are killing me! (Okay, nobody ever died from cravings, I know.)

I'm working on dairy first, as I've determined that that's a huge trigger for me. I'm just having a tough time. I notice a lot of you have gone from general vegan to McD ... how many have managed to go SAD to McD and lived to tell about it? :?

Good to meet you all ... this seems like a lovely place, and I look forward to some good discussion here.

Kerrie
Kerrie

Postby Doris » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:54 am

Kerrie, welcome to the board! Posting really helps and there are lots of posters that will give you support when you need it.

Here are some things that have helped me on my continuing McDougall journey. 1. I try to post my meal plan for the day (makes me focus on better choices). 2. I try to re-read Dr. McDougall's books, newsletter, and other info on the main web site ( keeps me motivated). 3. I use transitional foods from time to time when my cravings are really bothering me. 4. Since I am not perfect, I know if I make a mistake, I can start again right away (I don't have to wait until next Monday). 5. Think this one may be the most important. I keep foods ready in my fridge, freezer, and pantry for quick preparation (I don't give myself an excuse for eating off program).

I'm sure others will offer some tips also. Again, Welcome. :)
Doris

Postby happyalyssa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi Kerrie,

You should find lots of information and inspiration here. There are several who come to the board regularly that have lost 100+ lbs. For additional information you could check some of the success stories on the front page. I read some about once a month to help keep me motivated.

I think at one point or another most of us on the board ate SAD foods. I did up until my teens when I ate vegetarian off and on (year here year there) along with (a year here a year there of) poultry and fish, finally gave up the meat entirely around the age of 20 or so, then at 27 (after I got married, moved, and wasn't working tons of hours per week) I found myself fatter than ever before with a blood pressure that was starting to rise (family history of high blood pressure but I'd always prided myself on having a low bp).

Clearly just being vegetarian wasn't enough to keep me in good health and when I stepped on the scale around november of last year it was a shock to me emotionally. No wonder my clothes didn't fit anymore! I had read about low fat vegan diets before (frequently) and always hoped I'd find the courage to try it someday (I did once, long ago...only made it a week :oops: ). Anyway, I really hate to "diet," I hate that deprived feeling of "can't have this, can't have much of that, can only have one bite of this, must measure that", etc. etc. And figured this would be a good alternative not only for my health, but for the health of the environment and also it fits in nicely with my compassionate nature, philosophies in life, "religious" standpoint....you get the picture.

In any case, it is definately worth giving it a shot! You may be pleasantly surprised at the variety of new foods you'll be tempted to be try when introduced to a new style of eating. The question no longer becomes "chicken, beef, or cheese" but opens you up to a whole new world of cuisine you've never tried before. Try browsing McD's books and websites like www.fatfreevegan.com (I made the cherry walnut banana bread from there about a week ago and it was divine) to get some new ideas and reassurance that this isn't just about brown rice and carrots.

Also, I found it really helped me to remove temptation from the house. I set a date (Jan 1st, 2007) and until that time I used up all my "junk" food and when I went shopping I replaced it all with healthier versions: whole wheat pasta instead of regular, sugar-free jam instead of regular, etc. You might be surprised to know there are some really good "milks" as alternative to dairy. I mostly prefer a light almond milk, but some others prefer low fat soy or rice milk as well. Sometimes they take a bit of getting used to but even when I ate dairy, I still prefered soy milk to cow's.

If I were you, I'd try one of two things. Either start right away on the 12 day program (try regular McDougal instead of Maximum Weight loss, it is a lot less restrictive) and then see if you feel great and lose enough weight to remain motivated; or set goal dates. I'm more of the type of person who likes to set goal dates to be honest, it gives me time to mentally and physically prepare. You could do for example (and mark it on the calendar, look at it often!) stop eating dairy on Sat. April 7th, stop eating red meat Sat April 14th, stop eating poultry/fish Sat. April 21st, stop eating free oils (margarine, cooking oil etc) April 28th, START McDougall 12 day program May 1st. Each weekend that you stop eating a bad-for-you food, you could go out shopping and look for healthy alternatives and get inspired by trying new things you've never had before (quinoa, millet, different kinds of beans, exotic fruits, specialty vegetables, etc). By the end of the month you'll have a cabinet stocked full of whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits, vegetables, you name it.

Lastly, you mentioned that you're busy and you're not sure how much you can post but I find that even taking 5-10 min a day to come here and talk with like-minded people can be a great eye-opener and reinforces the decision I've made for my health. You might find that you're getting interesting looks/comments from your fellow SAD eating friends once you make the change, so it is nice to have a safe-haven to ask advice, recipes, etc. Also, you'll find those skeptical looks of curiosity start to change to admiration once they see you losing weight and regaining your health.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I hope at least some of it can be of help to you on your journey :) Hope to see you around! :-D

Alyssa
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby DianeR » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:22 pm

Of course, everyone's psychology is different.

What worked for me was going directly from SAD to McD. The problem with doing it step-by-step (my opinion, mind you) is the same as with just trying to improve SAD. You don't feel noticably better or see any positive changes. It is hard to stay motivated if nothing is happening.

If you cut out all of the foods you should then you will (or should) feel better. You will have to move to entirely healthy foods. Your tastes will change and the old stuff won't appeal anymore.

My entire family made this transition at once. I think it was far easier than, say, trying to do vegetarian several times a week or something. You aren't giving yourself license to make exceptions or just "cut back." Somehow hard and fast rules on what you can eat and what you can't work. For us, anyhow.

My husband is tall and over 200 pounds. He didn't think he could hack the diet. Within two days he felt better and has never had the impulse to go back.

Of course, none of us is perfect. There will be temptations or feast days -- but it seems like the treats end up not being as good as you remembered. Getting sick from eating them also makes later cheating unlikely.

I believe there is someone on this board that has already lost 100 pounds and has another 100 to go. It can be done.

Perhaps focusing on your final goal is too far away to motivate you. If you think of, each day, getting a little bit healthier, perhaps that would help. Even if you don't do things perfectly one day, tell yourself just don't go backwards that day. Keep the day at least neutral. You'll only move forward then. (I offer this from my own psychology and history of disordered eating. I had a tendency to tell myself if I had "blown it" one day, I might as well go all out. Once I stopped beating up on myself and accepted the concept of "neutral" days, it seemed the slip ups came far less frequently and I was able to meet all my goals.)

Please do come back here whenever you can --- and welcome. You can certainly accomplish what you want to accomplish. Even your failures can teach you about yourself and what you need to do to be successful in the future. Do your best, seek advice about any difficulties, and in a year or two you can be one of those success stories we read about.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby Mrs Missakian » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Welcome! I went from a totally SAD diet to McD. I decided that I would start on March 1st. Consequently, February was spent in absolute gluttony. It took me a month to undo all the damage of the last month. I feel loads better and that helps me to stick with it. I believe because I'm a vegan for health rather than ethical reasons, I might have a harder time with cravings. I mean, I really loved meat and still crave it so much that I can almost taste it. I realize that a new way of thinking is in order but that will take time. The transition was not so bad for me because I ordered the starter kit and it was easier to stick with it than to find something else to eat. My mother started it with me and that helps a lot because I prepare food for both of us and I know that if I don't prepare it, she just won't eat and I just can't let my mother starve. It's been a little bit of an ordeal sticking to eat when everyone else in the house is eating SAD. I use that as a motivation to cook the most delicious McD foods I can. My goal is for them to taste them and share them with me. So here we go on this journey together (my mom, you, and I) and I think we are going to make it.
Mrs Missakian

Postby hope101 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Welcome, Kerrie. I think you have had such wonderful words from others that I don't have much to add, except that it was "The China Study" above all else that lead me to this way of life too.

Have you seen any of the McDougall videos? If you haven't, I highly recommend them. The China Study told me the why of seeking out this lifestyle in a general sense, the videos told me the how. And I found Dr. McDougall's talks about dairy to be very, very convincing of the danger of dairy. Even organic. When I am tempted to indulge I just think of his passionate face explaining the link between dairy and Type 1 diabetes, the slide comparing milk to liquid meat, and the significant number of cow herds infected with the cow's equivalent to AIDS. Somehow that knowledge just make an indulgence seem foolish.

Another book that made an impact on me was Dr. Neal Barnard's "Breaking the Food Seduction". He makes the case that certain components of dairy are actually addicting and that if you can remain off them long enough the cravings do go away. That is the reason behind his suggestion that people commit 100% to a low fat vegan diet for 21 days as an experiment to see how they feel. Just something to consider.

Anyway, welcome and come back as often as time permits. :D
hope101

Postby Kerrie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! There is some great advice in here. hope101 - I actually am reading "The Food Seduction" (can't remember - is that the title?) right now. I want so badly to order Dr. M's "spring DVD special," but I don't know if I can manage the $80. Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

I loved reading about your family doing it all together, DianeR ... I've been married for nearly 17 years (May 1st), and my sweet husband needs to lose a good 50 pounds himself. He and I actually had a lengthy discussion late last night about this, and he just doesn't see the need to abandon his way of eating unless he feels bad. Doesn't matter that his mom is one of those with diabetes (to which she has added neuropathy and retinopathy) and that his cholesterol is way up there. Anyway, we also have 4 kids and it's such an uphill battle. I need to stop the excuses, though, and go for it.

Again, thanks so much for the support and welcome!

Kerrie

p.s. I just noticed that on this board, you can do a "topic review" while you type a reply! Cool beans!!
Kerrie

Return to How to Begin