Hello everyone

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello everyone

Postby MamaPajama » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:11 pm

I am another old newbie. or would it be new oldie? Anyway - I used to frequent these boards about 6 years ago.

I was vegan about 8 years ago then got lazy and slowly started eating cheese, fish chicken eggs again. I had a baby and nursed but when I quit nursing I gained weight really fast. I decided to make a transition back to vegan, and came across the McDougall site while browsing Vegsource.com. Anyway that was 6 years ago, and I while I retained a lot of Mcdougall info in my head, I got lazy again. I am now in the same situation after baby #2. I just turned 31 and realized I have wasted almost 7 years of my life being overweight and unhappy. I am self concious and my weight dictates my feelings and activities. My 7 year old son has only seen me in a swimsuit a handful of times, and I don't have the energy I need to keep up anymore. I am also very moody and impatient and I KNOW a lot of this has to do with my frustrations with myself. Eating healthier will make me feel better about myself, and will improve my state of mind, I am sure of it.

I just finished rereading The McDougall Program and just started reading the MWL book. I plan to follow the regular 12 day program and once food craving have subsided some, I will try to concentrate my diet around the MWL plan, allowing non MWL foods to be my special treats. The more restricted I feel, the more I will want to rebel, so I need to have some kind of safety net so I dont go stuffing my face with snickers bars and twinkies.

My husband and kids will do just fine with this. I already cook a lot of meals the mcdougall way - beans, veggies, brown rice or potatos, no added oils salts or sugars. The only major change my family will see is the snack foods will have to change.

It is the people outside my home - inlaws, friends, etc who's comments make it tough. they feel the need to sneak candy and beef to my boys just to make sure they don't perish.

This week I am prepping my home, and making my grocery list, and plan to begin my 12 day program on monday. In the meantime I am eating about 80% McDougall which is a huge step in the right direction for me.

I will be on these boards a lot I am sure! I need all the encouragement I can get. I look forward to getting to know all of you!
MamaPajama

Postby happyalyssa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Welcome back MamaPajama! Love the name by the way ;)

Looks like you've been around this block before so you know all the twists and turns! Boy after my last loooong-winded post I'm just not quite sure what to say now :lol: Hm, I know the "outsider's" influence can be frustrating and sometimes hard to deal with. Not long ago my mother in law got a salad "just for me" ....that just happened to be absolutely covered in crumbled bacon (I haven't eaten bacon in 12? years!)!!! I still don't know if her eyesight is failing her or if she did it just to mock me :lol:

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on your journey, and I hope to see you around on the boards. Since you've done this before you probably have as much advice to offer me as a few-month-newbie as I would to offer you being the old-schooler that you are.

Talk to you soon!
Alyssa
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby Doris » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 pm

MamaPajama, I love your name. Anyway, welcome back and I hope to be reading some of your posts. :)
Doris

Postby MamaPajama » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 pm

Thank you Alyssa - I just read your other post so no need to post it twice! :)

My mil is the worst - she made chili and then offered to pick the hamburger pieces out for me. She buys peeps and goldfish crackers for the babies (my 1 year old and my nephew the same age) and pouts when I dont let my baby eat them. She coats everything in butter, sugar, jello, or cream soup She has severe digestion problems, too btw. Anyway nice lady, just doesnt get it. I even gave her a copy of the mc'd program so she could read about it and maybe learn a bit about her health problems, but 'she doesnt have time' to read it.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!!
MamaPajama

Postby MamaPajama » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks Doris! I like my name too! lol. The song Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard was stuck in my head yesterday while I was registering for my account!
MamaPajama

Return to How to Begin