Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Darby » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi there,
I wanted to introduce myself. I've been a lurker on the old board off and on for a long time, but decided if I want to be serious about McDougalling, it would help to be an active member of this board. I did Mary's mini diet a few months ago with great success, but then went on vacation and couldn't get myself back into the groove.

Anyway, I would like to lose 40ish pounds, and feel more energy. I have some joint problems I would like to see disappear. As I'm a few months away from my 40th birthday, I would like to enjoy this new decade in a healthy way!

Talk to you soon,
Darby
Darby

Welcome! Yes, taking part in the discussions does help more

Postby S B » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:06 pm

than lurking (in my opinion). Getting feed back from a post that YOU write is very encouraging!

Back when I first began total McDing, everyone around me thought I had gone nuts. This board was the only support I had. Now, many around me realize McDing is not as crazy as they had once thought BUT I still enjoy visiting with my "McDougall family" here on this board.

Feel free to ask questions or to ask for advice and encouragement.

I wish you much success McDing!
:)
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby Doris » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:17 pm

I agree with S B , you should keep posting. Taking part in the discussions, and the regular What's Cookin' and Who's moving posts are very helpful. I wish you a wonderful McDougall Journey!! :)
Doris

Welcome to the board...

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:17 am

Glad you are here :-D Belonging to this board is great, everyone is friendly and give great advice. Hope to see you here regularly. :-D
Check out the Star McDougaller's and newsletters. :)
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

I'm new too and a lurker

Postby mfly44 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:21 am

I am de-lurking. I really need help. I understand what to do. I know the ins and outs of this way of eating and I have lost 70 lbs in the past, but I am just not able to muster the willingness to finish the job. I have 35 lbs left to loose (that would have been 25 if I had not gained 10 lbs back).

I have a plan today. I brought all the right food today to work. I have been trying to become more motivated. Evenings are especially hard. so any suggestions for evenings would help. I am glad other new people are here.

Just for today,

Melissa
mfly44

Postby DianeR » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:32 am

I found a diet/exercise journal to be particularly useful in getting rid of those last pounds. I am continuing it because I don't want to gain the weight back. At least I'll do this for a bit until I know what I can and cannot do and still stay where I'm at.

I weigh myself each morning and put that down. Then I list what exercise I do that day and roughly what I eat (no calorie or fat counts). I found that the last 20 pounds or so can go slowly, so averaging over a week's time can let me see progress. Once a week weighing I wouldn't, because my weight can bob up and down. (It really seems to depend on sodium, for one thing).

With seeing the progress, however slow, it is easy to keep doing what you are doing. It also kept me from doing what I shouldn't, because then I'd have to put it down!

A journal might also help you see when you have problems. Perhaps some days you don't eat enough early on and thus you are hungrier at nights? Or you have more simple sugars or refined grains and that fuels your appetite? Anyway, a journal can help you refine your approach, too.

Good luck! I found the hardest thing was really committing to losing the last bit of weight. Of course, I WANTED it off, but it took a while to have the commitment. (Also, I learned to only take second servings because I was still hungry, not because I like my own cooking ... and to only eat half of what I'm served in restaurants.)
DianeR

Hi! I'm new

Postby kdljones » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:00 pm

Hello everyone...

I am so excited to have found this. I am a vegetarian, new vegan, and was having a hard time filling my needed calorie intake. I would either eat nothing or grab something less than desireable.

I checked out the 12 day meal plan and I am impressed! I can't wait to try what's on the menu for tomorrow (day 1).

I don't need to lose weight per se. I am more out of shape than heavy. (138 lbs, 5'5"). I could stand to lose 10 lbs probably, but I am sure if I eat the McDougall way and get to the gym more than 3 times per week, I would be golden.

I look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Off to live happier and healthier! So excited!!

Blessings,
Kerri
kdljones

Postby Kayll » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi Kerri,

I've been a vegetarian (I'm new to the forum, too, but not new to McDougalling) for - gosh - 5 years now? I've lost count. Anyway, I gained weight initially because I didn't know to eat. Not being a vegan, I ate TONS of pizza.

But once I stumbled on to McDougall, everything changed. My favorite cookbook is his Quick & Easy cookbook. I haven't been McDougally for some time now and I'm looking to be his next star! :)

I look forward to being on this healthy journey with you. :)
-Kayll
www.choosetocreate.com - It's your life. How do you want to live it?
Kayll

Return to How to Begin