Happy to find McDougall

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Happy to find McDougall

Postby LisaM » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi everyone -

I'm new to this website. I'm grateful to find it, though. I've gained about 60 pounds in the past 8 months due to various reasons that I won't go into. Before then, I was already about 100 pounds overweight. So, now I find myself pretty desperate to find a way to succeed. "McDougalling" seems very reasonable. I look forward to altering my habits forever. I've never been completely convinced of the need to truly learn new behavior that lasts forever until I watched my partial weight-loss success of a few years ago be overturned so quickly by a very low emotional time-period.

I've been trying to eat this new way for about a week now. The primary problem is that there is a lot of food (especially candy/chocolate) sitting around at my office. It is very difficult, since chocolate is so tempting for me. I'm trying to appreciate baby steps, though.

This is the first time I've felt optimistic about a weight-loss attempt in a long time. I am enjoying reading about people who had a large amount of weight to lose, like myself, who managed to do it following this lifestyle.

I have made one major decision which is very different from my attempts in the past, though. I am not going to get on a scale. It always ruins me. I'm going to focus on behavior (food and exercise) and that's it.

So, here we go...
LisaM

Postby Autumn » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Welcome Lisa :)

Its a very healthy habit of not focusing on the numbers. I feel its part of my success since I focused on the health benefits. One other thing that helped me was to find recipes similar to my old ones so it wasnt such a drastic change. I started out at 180 lbs to lose and Im 44 down as of today! You can do this too.
Autumn

Postby KareninTN » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:25 am

Welcome, Lisa.

Having just finished losing 100 pounds for the second time, I hear you about getting derailed by emotional eating during difficult emotional times. :-(

I also realize that the first time, my only goal was weight loss, and whether I actually said it to myself or not, my behavior reflected an attitude of, "What can I get away with and still not gain weight?" Since health is my motivator this time, I'm not trying to "get away with" anything. I really want to feed my body the foods that will keep it happy, healthy and satisfied, for a long, long time into the future. :-D

best wishes,
karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby ladynnred1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Lisa,

I can't endorse strongly enough working on health, not weight loss. I lost 40 pounds thinking about health and heart safety eleven years ago, then got obsessed with losing weight. Instead, I got frustrated, allowed myself to eat myself back up to almost where I was. Most importantly, now aged 50, I am the only one in my immediate family NOT to have had a stroke so I know I need to get back down to where I was as a healthy person.

I will join you in this walk, Lisa. No need, as you'll see from others, for it to be a race but walking will be good as long as we keep walking along.
Cynthia
ladynnred1

Thanks.

Postby LisaM » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the support.

I actually got through today without eating any chocolate from the chocolate bowl that sits right outside my office. That is a HUGE accomplishment for me (since I usually indulge on a daily basis). So, that means I can do it.

It is strange not focusing on the scale. It has only been a few days, but it really is such a releif.
LisaM

Postby stephanie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:52 pm

Welcome LisaM,

I too have struggled with weight gain due to emotional eating, and I'm also trying to get back to a focus on health rather than weight. As health improves, I know my body will naturally get down to a weight that is ideal for me.

I think that celebrating your day-to-day successes, like having an apple instead of chocolate, or going for a walk around the neighborhood, is important. If you take all of these little successes and build on them every day, pretty soon, you'll have a week of healthful practices, then a month, and so on until it has become a natural way of life for you. Of course, there will be difficult moments when it seems easier or more comfortable or convenient to go back to old habits, but if you can remember all the times you've made healthy choices and how good you feel as a result (both in the physical sense and in the sense of pride in yourself), I think some of the temptation goes away. Just remember that every day presents opportunities to honor and care for yourself by promoting your own wellbeing--what a great choice to have, and how great to know about McDougalling to help you make the best possible choices!

Best wishes,
Stephanie
stephanie

Postby Doris » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:31 am

LisaM,

Welcome! It is always nice to have another McDougaller. This board is a great support so visit often.

:)
Doris

Re: Happy to find McDougall

Postby Groovy Granny » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

LisaM wrote: I'm going to focus on behavior (food and exercise) and that's it. So, here we go...

That's the spirit! It was what I had decided, also. And somehow the weight just came off without my even thinking about it.

At the beginning I never was swayed by what the SAD world was eating. Then went through several weeks of affairs to attend and entertaining company several years ago. Gained 12 lbs which has taken me several years to get off. I find it just isn't worth it!

I love McDougalling. I feel well, clean, spiritual, and well satiated. Animal products are never an issue. I do not want them in my body any longer. But, every once in awhile I have to admit I do have a 'feast day'. By changing my outlook, as you say you are going to do, I figure that's all it is - a feast day and the next day I just get right back to eating the way I know works for me. I no longer go through feeling guilty, sad, bad, or any other thoughts of stinking thinking.

Just keep on keeping on and do to the best of your ability. You'll soon be sharing with us how great your are feeling! Happy McDougalling!
Groovy Granny

Postby Patsy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:51 am

Don't know if this will help you or not, but the way I stopped grabbing the M&M's from the bowl in our office, was to start bringing red seedless grapes....whenever I wanted to grab the candy, I grabbed a grape instead. It satsified something physical and emotional and now I don't do it so often. Hang in there!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHiGN7M/]
[/url]
Patsy

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:24 am

Lisa
Does it have to sit outside your office? Who fills the bowl? Is there a place they can move it where you won't pass by it? That is a big temptation for even the strongest person. With you just trying to start changing your ways it's going to be a continuous struggle. That's not far. Heck it's not healthy.

If it can't be moved, can you bring in the candy and make it something like a hard candy that won't tempt you. I have a candy jar, I fill it with Jolly Ranchers Cinnamon candy. Doesn't tempt me at all. Once a month I may have one. I also keep the jar away from my desk.

Out of site really does help. I have a Mother who loves to bake. Baked things are a real weakness for me and she keeps them upstairs (I live downstairs) and after she tells me she baked 'blank' I instantly forget about it.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to How to Begin