another newbie

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

another newbie

Postby louwill » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 pm

I've been flirting with the McDougall program for decades, buying all the books and tapes, occasionally trying some recipes. But now I've decided I'm really going to follow it; no more excuses (even though my husband won't join me, - yet).

I've been on the program now for exactly one week, just stuffing myself, as if I feared hunger. I lost 6 pounds this first week, although I know a lot of that was probably water weight. Even though weight loss is very important to me, being healthly is my real goal, and I'm pleased to report that I'm already experiencing less pain in my knees.

I've actually been surprised at how easy this first week was for me. I've got the refrigerator full of leftovers and other good things to eat so I won't be tempted to stray just out of convenience. I had to eat out twice this week at social functions, but I looked at the menus on-line and planned ahead. At the first restaurant I was able to order a plain baked potato with salsa. At the 2nd restaurant I ordered a big fancy salad that didn't have meat or cheese, and I asked the waiter to bring the dressing on the side, so I could use it in very limited quantities, even though it didn't seem particulary greasy. After the meal, they surprised us by bringing out small pieces of carrot cake for everyone. My fork had already been taken away, and that made it easier for me not to try even one bite of the cake.

The biggest surprise this week is that it feels like my life-long obsession with food may be diminishing. Maybe that's because I've cut way back on how much sugar I'm eating. Or maybe it's a shift in mind-set, as I'm focusing more on the true purpose of the food, which is to nourish my body, not necessarily to entertain and excite me.

I do have one question. What is Mary's Mini diet? Can someone give me a link? I probably won't try it for now, since I'm doing well on the standard McD, but I'm curious.
Louise
louwill

Postby Doris » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Welcome!! Mary's Mini was explained in two newsletters. I think the July and August, 2006 issues. Just go to Dr. McDougall's home page, and check out the archives.

I wish you a very successful McDougall journey!

Doris :)
Doris

Postby louwill » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Doris wrote:Welcome!! Mary's Mini was explained in two newsletters. I think the July and August, 2006 issues. Just go to Dr. McDougall's home page, and check out the archives.

Thanks Doris. I found it. It was June and July 2006.
louwill

Welcome

Postby LisaM » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi louwill -

Welcome to the group. I also just started. It has been nice to not have to be hungry all the time. It must feel good to feel that your obsession with food is deminishing. I feel that way off and on, but still need more time with "McDougalling" to say that for sure.

Anyway - Congrats and good luck!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wwxMMrJ/]
[/url]
LisaM

Postby Autumn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Welcome :) You might be surprised about your husband joining. My husband eating some of my recipes and me saving articles from here for him to read really made a huge difference. The milk and marketing video made a big difference too. He isnt perfectly on plan but nearly there.
Autumn

Re: another newbie

Postby Clary » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 am

louwill wrote: But now I've decided I'm really going to follow it; no more excuses.

With your great attitude and the "flirting" pre-prep I am sure YOUwill, LOUwill! :nod:

Welcome to the board and to "a real relationship" (not just flirting :wink: ) with McDougalling.
Clary

Return to How to Begin