kinda new and in need of support!!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

kinda new and in need of support!!

Postby simplyvegan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi All,

I just recently have made the decision to live my life as a vegan. I have been mostly vegetarian for about 10 years. But, have seen no great improvements in my health. In fact, I feel like I'm losing ground.

I have had fibromialgia for about 7yrs. Just diagnosed about three yrs. ago. A vegetarian lifestyle seemed to have no positive effect on those symptoms.

I found this web site through a link on a veg web site, and on August 25th, 2007, I became vegan.

Eating vegan is not a problem, in fact, it is a joy. The part I'm having problems with is the low fat part.

I LOVE MY OLIVE OIL!! :-( and it is taking a while to get over that love affair.

I can't say I've had any drastic improvements in the way I feel. I mean, every so often I have a good day, but nothing like I read about on these boards or in the articles from the Star McDouggallers.

I still take blood pressure meds and thyroid meds.(which is part of what prompted me to go vegan)

I WANT TO FEEL HEALTHY!!!!!

Any thoughts on what I could be doing better?

SV
simplyvegan

Re: kinda new and in need of support!!

Postby Clary » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:59 pm

simplyvegan wrote:
Any thoughts on what I could be doing better?

SV

What are you doing now?
It is realized/repeated often here that "vegetarian" (depending on food choices and lifestyle) is not necessarily "healthy".

There are many changes that can be made, depending on your previous choices and habits, and where you currently are on "the path", and where you choose to go.

Have you read the information on the home page of this website, including all the Free Program information? Do you have a Dr. McDougall book?

Which of Dr. McDougall's programs are you following?

Are you still eating any kind/form of dairy--milk, cheeses, ice cream, whipped cream, baked goods w/milk/cream/whipped creams; milk or milk products in foods; or animal products? --or added oils or fats to foods or in cooking, or hi-fat recipes? --many refined, processed foods, or high sugar/salt foods? --caffeine or alcohol on a regular basis? Exercising regulary and moderately?

Are you working toward a starch-based diet, along with lots of veges?

Dr. McDougall has never, to my knowledge, referred to his program as Vegan, but many people here can support you in a Vegan lifestyle.

A favorite quote of mine:
"We all need to begin to improve, starting from where we are (not from where we should be, or where someone else is, or even from where others think we are)." --Stephen Covey

Just begin from where you are, come to the board often, read and learn, and contribute, transition and change with support...
and keep comin' back.

Welcome to "McDougalling" and to the board!
Clary

Return to How to Begin