Somewhat of a Newbie

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Somewhat of a Newbie

Postby azfrostmom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been following a HCG diet for the past 6 weeks and feel horrible. I'm just finishing off my 6 week regimine and I am so glad. I've known about the Mcdougall plan for years, but I wasn't ready to "diet" (lifestyle change) I finally made the decision to lose weight and went the quick-fix route (HCG), of course I didn't realize how lousy I would feel (it's high protien) I an now ready to come back to earth and follow a sensible plan. I am just overwhelmed by the info. I was thinking about doing Mary's mini plan for 10 days and then doing the MWL plan. Any advice or encouragement. I have about 100lbs more to lose. I may need to lose a bit more, but I am not really sure what my Ideal weight is. The doc told me 140-150 I think at that weight I would look like a skeleton.
TIA
azfrostmom

Postby serenity » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:44 pm

I don't know what a HCG is. But in any case, why not start with the regular plan? The MWL and, especially the mini diet, are intended for those who have trouble losing weight on the regular plan or who have plateaued. Generally, you shouldn't need to start there.

Your heading said you were sort of a newbie, but your post didn't indicate how much you already know or if you'd done this before and if so, how long and how compliant you were (or not.)

But for most people, this is quite a change. So, feeling overwhelmed is totally normal. I think the best place to start is with meals that are similar to what you have been eating, if possible. So, spaghetti, burritos, stew (vegetable intead of meat), etc. Think in terms of starch as the center instead of meat.

Let us know what it is you are having trouble with, and I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions.
serenity

Postby azfrostmom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. HCG is the hormone that naturally occurs in the body when you are pregnant. The hormone is primarily used in large doses for people who are experiencing infertility. Doctors found that it also tricks the body into maintaining a higher basal metabolic rate (or the basic caloric needs of the body for the day) Anyhoo, the HCG in conjunction with a low calorie high protien diet causes you to lose weight quickly. Sounds good initially but its not.

I've known about Dr. Mcdougall for several years. I have a few of his books, but I've never really followed his plan because I just wasn't ready to accept that I needed to lose weight. When I finally came to the realization, I decided against the slower, but steady plan for the quick fix one. What a mistake. I completed the 6 weeks that you use the HCG for and I am so glad. My body has been craving carbohydrates (naturally) So I have slipped the last few days. Christmas is hard.
My concern about switching from a hi protien diet to a high carb diet is weigh gain. That's why I wanted to follow the MWL I figured yes it has carbohydrates, but none of the carbs are refined as in the regular Mcdougall plan. I'm not really sure what to expect. Anyone out there go through something similar?

Anyhow, thanks for the support. I look forward to learing a bunch.
AZFrost mom
azfrostmom

That Hcg diet was around maybe 30 years ago...didn't think

Postby veggiecat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:03 am

people still did that!
Carbs do not cause weight gain[unless you count things like sodas & junk foods!]You may regain a few pounds of water.
Read all the info on the home page,the Star page[you could be there!],the newsletters...lots of inspiration! :-D
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Return to How to Begin