Type 1 Diabetic

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Type 1 Diabetic

Postby pmprk8 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:54 am

Hi all
I am new here and am curious to know how other type 1 diabetics have done on this program. I've been T1 for 33 yrs. now and have been pumping for 7.
I eat healthy, exercise lots and don't really need to lose any weight. I just really want to not be hungry all the time and not have the bg spikes so much.
I struggle with cravings~peanut butter is the hardest.
I am happy that I found this site. After reading some of the posts I joined.
I look forward to being here.

kate :)
pmprk8

Postby Doris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi Kate,

You may be interested in PCRM's on-line diabetes support classes. On February 7 Dr. Neal Barnard had a lecture about type 1 diabetes.

Go to www.pcrm.org , click on the diabetes icon (upper left), then click on the on-line classes, then scroll down to the archived classes, click on the February 7 class.

Hope to read more posts by you in the future.

Doris :)
Doris

Postby pmprk8 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi Doris
Thanx for the info. Found lotsa good info last night. Its great to be here. I'm usually just a lurker.

kate:) on a de-lurking binge!!!
pmprk8

Postby katrina12345 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:24 am

Hey, do you know that Insulin Is Not Always Necessary For Long-Term Control Of Type 2 Diabetes. Some patients with type 2 diabetes can control their disease for years yet avoid insulin injections by using multiple classes of oral diabetic medications, a new study found. The results were presented at The Endocrine Society's 90th Annual Meeting in San Francisco.

Findings from the study contradict common beliefs about non-insulin diabetic medications, said principal investigator Arthur Swislocki, MD, of the Veterans Affairs (VA) Northern California Health Care System in Martinez. Oral diabetes medications help control blood glucose, or sugar, levels in people whose bodies still produce some insulin, as is true for many patients with type 2 diabetes.

"Generally, both patients and physicians believe that long-term use of oral diabetic medications is not possible because these drugs lose their effectiveness over time as the patient's pancreas fails," Swislocki said. "Our data suggest that some patients can remain in good glucose control for years using non-insulin, oral diabetic agents."

The study result is good news for people who need medical therapy for type 2 diabetes, according to Swislocki. "They may be able to delay or avoid the use of insulin," he said.

Some patients prefer pills over insulin injections because they are easier to use or because the patient fears needles or getting low blood sugar, as is possible with insulin treatment, he said.

Swislocki and his coworkers studied the VA medical records of 191 veterans (188 men and 3 women) with type 2 diabetes who received treatment beginning in 1992 and received follow-up for 15 consecutive years. Of these patients, 96 began treatment solely with oral drugs. The researchers found that 55 percent of the patients (53 of 96) who started treatment with oral diabetic agents were able to continue using them 15 years later and achieve good blood sugar control. A measure of long-term blood sugar control - hemoglobin A1c - improved from an average of nearly 8 percent to about 7 percent 15 years later in this group.

Read more about this stroy from here
http://diabetes-complications.blogspot. ... y-for.html

Thank you
katrina

http://diabetes-complications.blogspot.com/
diabetes complications
The primary purpose of diabetes complications blog is to act as a source of information, usable by those caring for patients with diabetes mellitus who are thereby at risk for development of those complications which all too often appear with time.
katrina12345

Return to How to Begin