New to Mcdougall, Starting tonight

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New to Mcdougall, Starting tonight

Postby minirunner » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:29 pm

I became a vegan several years ago for ethical as well as health reasons. I found the raw vegan diet a few months later and I have been a raw vegan since. I felt fabulous and my health improved in amazing ways but after about 1 1/2 years on the raw vegan diet I started to gain weight. In fact I am now 10 lbs. heavier than before starting the raw diet.

After months of frustration I thought to get my McDougall book off the shelf and skim through it. I realized that the raw diet is WAY too high in fat and sugars, especially for women. So I have decided to embrace McDougalls program along with a lot of raw salads and oil/fat free dressings to see if I can lose this extra weight.

I think it would be great to have some support from others. When I posted messages on raw vegan message boards all they would tell me was to eat only sweet fruits and greens everday. I was already eating reduced calories trying to lose weight but it wasn't working you just can't get full enough on fruits and greens without nuts or fats, because raw vegans rarely if ever eat grains which I am starting to see that grains are far superior to nuts and seeds in many ways especially in being nutrient rich, LOW FAT foods.

I'm hoping to find a healthy balance to my diet where I can feel great and maintain a healthy weight.

Thanks,

Tandi
minirunner

WELCOME!

Postby S B » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:41 pm

Sounds like you figured out why McDougalling works! Some never seem to understand that too much fat and sugar -- even on a raw vegan diet -- is bad! Starchy whole foods are the key!

Welcome!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby noodle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Welcome minirunner,

Our family did the Hallelujah Acres Diet for about 6 months prior to McDougalling.

You will love the variety of foods you can eat, and it's just a whole lot more doable and reasonable.

I always was starving on the Hallelujah diet. Now I never ever feel deprived.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
noodle

Welcome to the board...

Postby Sunny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:43 am

You came to the right place for support, looks like you are doing great and almost at your goal. :-D Congratulations. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Return to How to Begin