Organic or conventional? What do I do?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Organic or conventional? What do I do?

Postby JWEIC42 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 am

I need some guidance on organic. Should the dirty dozen be extended to include additional berries and other leafy greens? How about additional root vegetables? I'm on board with a whole-food, plant-based diet. This is my best option I believe. However, I can't seem to find consistent and reliable information on organic. I'm excited to adopt this new life style of whole foods. The book "The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet" has been the book that I didn't know I needed. In the past I haven't been able to successfully transition to this diet, but after reading the book. I feel so much more confident. I now have an effective plan. However, I'm stumped on organic. My logic and research is leading me to conclude that only certain items or produce is worth buying organic. Others are only marketed, but don't pose serious risk.
JWEIC42

Re: Organic or conventional? What do I do?

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am

Here are Jeff’s thoughts on organic.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49294&p=506791&hilit=EWG#p506791

I personally do not buy anything organic.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 am

JWEIC42 wrote:I need some guidance on organic. Should the dirty dozen be extended to include additional berries and other leafy greens? How about additional root vegetables? I'm on board with a whole-food, plant-based diet. This is my best option I believe. However, I can't seem to find consistent and reliable information on organic. I'm excited to adopt this new life style of whole foods. The book "The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet" has been the book that I didn't know I needed. In the past I haven't been able to successfully transition to this diet, but after reading the book. I feel so much more confident. I now have an effective plan. However, I'm stumped on organic. My logic and research is leading me to conclude that only certain items or produce is worth buying organic. Others are only marketed, but don't pose serious risk.

This is a long thread on the topic but covers every aspect of it, including the Dirty Dozen

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6229

Or you can go here and read a synopsis

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6229&&start=75#p340793

Choosing organic is not a requirement to be successful on the program nor is it a requirement of the food at the 10-Day program

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JWEIC42 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 am

Thank you guys so much. I started reading some of the links from previous discussions. I'll be busy reading through all of them! Thank you guys so much! I know my questions and concerns will now be answered. This is the right place! :)
JWEIC42

Postby Mober » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Probably buried in one of those threads is a years old discussion, I will post again, that while these are good and reasonable answers regarding our choices for ourselves and our health and purchasing power, there is a cost to farming practices to the land, farmers and workers and downstream environment I feel should be taken into consideration in purchasing decisions.
Mober

Return to How to Begin