Saltine Crackers?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Saltine Crackers?

Postby teresamere » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 pm

Going back to this way of eating, have some Saltine crackers, keep or throw out? Okay to use?
teresamere

Re: Saltine Crackers?

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:05 am

It depends.

Are they made with whole grain flour and nothing else? Not white flour, not added chemicals or oil, just flour and water?

Ideally, they should also be unsalted. Dr. McDougall allows a bit of salt sprinkled on top of food after cooking, but a salted cracker would most likely be discouraged.

Are you following the Maximum Weight Loss program or the regular Starch Solution? MWLP doesn't allow flour products.

I just read the ingredients for a few different brands of saltine crackers on Amazon and every one had some kind of oil, including organic, stoneground wheat ones from Whole Foods, so the odds are that the crackers you have also contain oil. My vote is to get just rid of them.
VeggieSue

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:53 am

teresamere wrote:Going back to this way of eating, have some Saltine crackers, keep or throw out? Okay to use?

I would throw them out (or donate to a foodbank if they aren't opened). They are highly processed, full of salt, and are generally a pleasure trap food that will make it easy for you to overeat on, or be tempted to lather rich foods on.
Drew_ab

Postby teresamere » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Okay, thanks for the replies,I'm just starting out with the regular Mc Dougall diet, then will ease my way into MWL diet, just want to get some consistency and momentum going., and they are a pleasure trap food cause I ended up eating them up. Now, I have no more tempting foods at least.
teresamere

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:09 am

teresamere wrote:Now, I have no more tempting foods at least.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
VeggieSue

Return to How to Begin