Having hard time

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Having hard time

Postby toad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:44 pm

getting past 3-4 days on this lifestyle.

I keep restarting after a day or two or caving in.

How long does it take to get over processed junk withdrawals? and do this diet.

Anyone else struggling?

I do use salt, cause otherwise I would cave more easy. One thing at a time.
toad

Re: Having hard time

Postby Daydream » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:28 pm

It will help significantly if you can get all the junk food out of the house. Donate it or even throw it out if you have to.

Secondly, make sure you have McDougall approved food already prepped and available. I batch cook once a week so that I have ready made food anytime I'm hungry. Once a week I cook a pot of some type of dried bean, a pot of brown rice or whole grain, I bake a tray of Japanese sweet potatoes, I'll cook a pot of soup or stew and I'll wash/cut veggies for salads.

I hope that helps!
Daydream

Postby toad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:29 pm

thanks, I have a roommate who leaves at end of month, then it's just me. But I don't eat her foods. Don't have anything tempting for myself, but late at night, I drive to a gas station and grab snacks, if feeling stressed, that's where my problem lies.

Did Mc Dougall diet today, only thing off was coffee/with coffee matte creamer. I threw the creamer out. I can give away the coffee.

I could pre cook some foods, or get frozen vegetables to microwave. Thanks for the suggestions. If I can make it more and 3 days without going out to get junk.
toad

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:36 pm

If you adhere for 3 days and slip the 4th, that’s at least 75% adherence. 75% better than 0% adherence. Everyone slips.

See Dr Doug Lisle for good background on making and breaking habits.
The Pleasure Trap (TEDX 17m)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2btaDOBK8

The Pleasure Trap (Vegetarian Society of Hawaii 58m)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxf4kj8Rb6Y

Key is immediately getting back on plan. Then review specific situations that trip you up, and look for suggestions how to handle.

For late night snacks I like bananas or leftover oven fries. Less likely to cave to craving if full. Starch helps keep you full.

Better to snack on whole food plant based dessert than junk from gas station. You could make desserts from healthy ingredients like oats, sweet potatoes, black beans, bananas, apples, dates, etc. Black bean brownies or sweet potato or pumpkin pie squares are a couple of my family’s favorite dessert-snacks.

Don’t make eating more restrictive than it needs to be. Small amounts of sugar and salt are allowed, and can be difference between adherence and not.
michaelswarm

Postby pundit999 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:43 am

yeah. Don't worry about the salt for now.
Just sprinkle it on top for now: don't add while cooking.

Concentrate on consuming whole plants only. And little to no oil.

Keep on it. Even if you slip, you are still doing much better than before.
pundit999

Return to How to Begin